Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Kevlar or plastic tank?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Kevlar or plastic tank?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 02:56 AM
jet-lover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kevlar or plastic tank?

Hi guys,

I am building a Sebart Mini Avanti with a Kingtech K-45

This is my first turbine.

My question is should I put a plastic or Kevlar tank in it?

Obviously the Kevlar tank is the most expensive and I guess the lightest but… is it better?

Which is the best in a crash?

Love to get your feedback for a newbie.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:13 AM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Kevlar is lighter? Seems like the plastic tanks are lighter to me (e.g. Dubro given the same capacities.)

As far as crashworthiness, I guess it depends on the severity of the crash. I probably would not re-use a significantly crashed tank. I know that one of the dealers told me that the plastic was more crashworthy. But, then again, plastic is what he had in stock.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:11 AM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Definitely plastic! I spent years designing and testing automotive fuel systems. The reason that most autos now have plastic fuel tanks is because of crashworthiness. Kevlar tanks are oversold in this hobby. The shells are strong but they tend to split at the seams in a crash. You can beat on a properly designed plastic tank with a hammer and it won't break.

If you have any doubt get comparable kevlar and plastic tanks, fill them with water, and drop each one onto concrete from about 10 feet high.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:41 AM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Regarding Kevlar, ... back in the day, NCR made a ton of money telling you what you had was junk, and putting a very high price on their new-fangled cash register's! It seems to me, that the flexibility of plastic would allow more impact w/o a rupture. I know the Kevlar tank I had in my Sprint that crashed basically disintegrated when it hit the ground. The biggest piece of that tank was maybe 3-5 square inches, at best. That was a spectacular crash! So,... for the replacement plane, I tried a plastic one and it was lighter.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:56 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Plastic!
BTW if your in the States the Mini does not meet the AMA requirements for obtaining a Turbine Waiver.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:03 AM
ChuckC
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plastic is tougher - no doubt, however you're limited in sizes and shapes; shapes especially when you're trying to cram as much juice in the plane as possible...

If I can find it, I use plastic but will go through the hassle of molding a tank if I have to. And, I'm about to have to...ugh.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:05 AM
Quandry

I can't speak for other manufacturerrs but I can tell you about CM Jets Kevlar tanks. They offer new form fitted tanks for the Mini Avanti. The advantage of this is you can get a higher volume of fuel in to the space compared to using a 'generic' plastic tank. Their older style was a generic shape that meant you had to cut out a small part of the inlet ducts (didn't cause much of an issue anyway), but the form fitted is a nice option. They can also make tanks that are part smoke, part fuel in one divided tank, and the tanks have a mount glued to the bottom meaning you can screw the tank straight down, no having to mess around with velcro straps etc. Kevlar tanks are available with a variety of fuel fittings, whereas plastic tanks are mainly just fuel bung style.

To my mind they obviously do the same job, just the custom tank adds some extra flexibility - if that is beneficial (and worth the extra cost) or not is up to the individuals choice. The Mini Avanti is pretty good access for whatever tank you want to try out, for scale jets the advantage of custom tanks is being able to get fuel capacity in to an akward shaped space.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:28 AM
why_fly_high
My Feedback: (19)

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob_B
Plastic!
BTW if your in the States the Mini does not meet the AMA requirements for obtaining a Turbine Waiver.
I sure hope they look at this at some point soon. This drives me nuts. Which is a better demonstration of pilot capability, a mini Avanti or a Shock Jet(or any high wing fixed gear trainer jet)? It really is silly.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:36 AM
Arnold773
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by Bob_B
Plastic!
Why would the Mini not meet the requirements for a Turbine Waiver?
Old 06-01-2017, 06:47 AM
why_fly_high

Originally Posted by Arnold773
Why would the Mini not meet the requirements for a Turbine Waiver?
Fixed wing: The qualification flight will be performed with a turbine powered model weighing at least 12 pounds (dry)
Old 06-01-2017, 06:47 AM
Arnold773

Smile

I think i just found it on the AMA docs. its because it is under 12 lbs. never really messed with a turbine under 12lbs been flying old AMT Olympus i think it weighs more than that
Old 06-01-2017, 06:48 AM
Arnold773

learn something new every day
Old 06-01-2017, 07:44 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Plastic. It's cheap, and works well. Most of my jets have old juice bottles. I think my "Fire bird" has an actual Du-Bro.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:30 AM
SECRET AGENT
My Feedback: (18)

Doug, I'm surprised your Olympus and the 50 gallons of fuel you need to feed it doesn't require you to have an LTMA waiver, HA!
Old 06-01-2017, 09:54 AM
Arnold773

it comes close. I know it puts a hurt on our jersey modeler
Old 06-01-2017, 01:24 PM
SECRET AGENT
My Feedback: (18)

You need a Jersey Modeler Fuel Truck! HA!
Old 06-01-2017, 02:02 PM
jet-lover

Thanks for the great replies guys.

Looks like definitely plastic for me. I will sleep better knowing the plastic tank has less chance of disintegrating if I run out of talent and crash it!

In regards to the waiver, doesn’t mean you are not allowed to fly a mini Avanti turbine in the USA?
Old 06-01-2017, 02:46 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jet-lover

In regards to the waiver, doesn’t mean you are not allowed to fly a mini Avanti turbine in the USA?
Not at any sanctioned event, AMA associated club, or even those that might not bother with AMA association, will require membership and a waiver for the insurance purposes.

Last, even though part of the recent FAA efforts to make everyone register their models which was ruled null and void, the existing reg, what is it 336? Requires you to be part of a recognized group which adheres to a specific set of safety and operational requirements.

Short answer; if you've got a dry lakebed or something, you wouldn't be required to have the waiver, other than that you're pretty much required to have the waiver. Last, it's really for your own safety as well as others around you when you fly.....
Old 06-02-2017, 10:31 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by why_fly_high
Fixed wing: The qualification flight will be performed with a turbine powered model weighing at least 12 pounds (dry)
So what does a Mini Avanti with a K45 installed actually weight ? Since the HSD SuperVipers with a K45 weighs about 14 lbs dry I assumed a mini Avanti would weigh at least 12. Just how light are they ?
Old 06-02-2017, 10:55 AM
why_fly_high

Originally Posted by wfield0455
So what does a Mini Avanti with a K45 installed actually weight ? Since the HSD SuperVipers with a K45 weighs about 14 lbs dry I assumed a mini Avanti would weigh at least 12. Just how light are they ?
From what I have seen about 10lbs dry. I was going to loan my 11lb Preceptor to my buddy for his waiver flight. The thought was to add 1 lb and then just running with a couple minutes of fuel for the waiver flight. He had an Opus which is hand launch and under 7.5 lbs. Ended up not getting his waiver though.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:27 PM
Art ARRO
My Feedback: (5)

Note that the 12 lb minimum weight (dry) requirement only applies to the waiver qualification flight. Once the individual is turbine waivered he/she can fly any turbine powered fixed wing model as long as it complies with the AMA Safety Regulations for Model Aircraft Powered by Gas Turbines. It would be wise to review these regulations before offering advice regarding: Airframe Requirements, Flight Line Requirements and/or Pilot Requirements. These regs are available for review and download from AMA's website: www:modelaircraft.org.
Rgds,
Art ARRO, Turbine CD and waiver holder (Fixed Wing) since 2004.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:52 PM
why_fly_high

Originally Posted by Art ARRO
Note that the 12 lb minimum weight (dry) requirement only applies to the waiver qualification flight. Once the individual is turbine waivered he/she can fly any turbine powered fixed wing model as long as it complies with the AMA Safety Regulations for Model Aircraft Powered by Gas Turbines. It would be wise to review these regulations before offering advice regarding: Airframe Requirements, Flight Line Requirements and/or Pilot Requirements. These regs are available for review and download from AMA's website: www:modelaircraft.org.
Rgds,
Art ARRO, Turbine CD and waiver holder (Fixed Wing) since 2004.
That is the exact advice being given here. Someone can't buy a small jet for their first jet if they want to get a waiver.