Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

T1 Models Euro Fighter build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

T1 Models Euro Fighter build

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 05:53 AM
Hot Rod Todd
My Feedback: (1)

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Still waiting for the Y-pipe. Once I get it I'll be ready to go soon. Here's a couple photos in the basement.

Old 04-30-2018, 05:57 AM
Signofinfinity

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Divine!

She is a masterpiece!

Keep us posted!
Old 04-30-2018, 06:39 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Looks fantastic!
Old 05-13-2018, 10:45 PM
Signofinfinity

Originally Posted by gunradd
Looks fantastic!
Any updates?
Old 05-14-2018, 04:36 AM
Hot Rod Todd

Still waiting for the Y-pipe. I was told it may have been shipped, but I haven't seen a tracking number yet. I'll provide a post with details and a video of the maiden when it happens.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:28 AM
Hot Rod Todd

I got the new Y-pipe in the mail and installed it. The quality looked better than the original. The fit was not perfect, but I got it in and it seems to work Ok. I took it to the field to do some testing. The Jet Central Cheetah 160SE started up fine and runs great. I did some taxi testing. The brakes seem a bit weaker than I'd like, but other than that it handles fine. Like any narrow gear jet, you have to be careful not to turn too sharp when it's got any speed. I tipped it onto the wing once, but now that I know the limits I should be fine. I didn't want to fly it until I had a chance to look everything over after a couple of runs. The Y-pipe looks fine after the run test, and I didn't find any fuel leaks or other issues. Won't be long and I'll get a maiden flight done. Look for a report and hopefully a video. Here's a couple of photos at the field.

Old 05-21-2018, 06:55 AM
Signofinfinity

BEAUTIFUL!!!

Mine is still on hold! Seeing your makes me want to start immediately!

She is alive finally.... Look forward to see her in the air!

George
Old 05-21-2018, 01:10 PM
jetjockey
My Feedback: (8)

Todd, very, very impressive. Got your PP file, and it downloaded perfectly. Also very impressive. Great work and definition on the markings. My son came by on Sat and showed me what to do with it, so now, I'm very anxious to get going on mine.

Thanks again,

Les
Old 05-21-2018, 01:37 PM
mmflytie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice job! Good luck on the maiden( please be careful driving to the field for the maiden....LOL. my memory still too vivid!!!)

Marc
Old 05-21-2018, 01:38 PM
mmflytie

Looks like a Geotext runway...we have the same
Old 06-06-2018, 06:38 AM
Hot Rod Todd

Default Maiden Report

So I finally got the Typhoon out for the maiden flight. I have a few things to work on, but it went well. I will have a video to add later.

For the maiden I thought I'd help it out a bit by taking off a bit of weight. I pulled the pilot and seat out of the cockpit, and didn't have the tanks on the wings. I set up three rates on Elevators and Ailerons to give me some adjustment available. I took off on medium rate elevator, and low rate aileron. The Jet Central Cheetah started up fine and was running good, time set to 7 minutes. Wind was very light, and I think I even had a slight breeze on my tail at takeoff. I took it to the end of the runway and applied brakes so I could run up the turbine to help my takeoff role. Our runway is 500 ft long, but the petro-mat is quite a bit draggier than pavement. The plane picked up speed well, and I applied some up elevator as I got towards the end. It didn't take off right away, and I was at full up elevator and running out of runway. It pulled up in time to my relief. Not sure if it's because I hit a bump in the runway, or I finally had enough speed. Once I got the gear up and got up to speed I trimmed out the plane. It took no aileron trim, but required 10 or more clicks of up elevator to fly level. I also had to go to high rate, since the medium rate I had seemed soft on the pitch axis. This could explain why it didn't rotate well on takeoff. The elevator trim was down, and the rate was weak, both don't help. I'll also verify my CG the way I flew it to make sure I wasn't nose heavy. I may even give the canard a bit more throw to help with the take-off rotation.

Once trimmed out I started to get the feel of the plane. It felt a little sluggish, and I had to keep the power up fairly high to feel comfortable. I did a couple full throttle passes and it seemed to have decent speed. With the higher rate on the elevator it wasn't hard to burn off some speed if I cranked the turn a bit tight (typical for a delta). Roll rate felt good, and overall the plane was comfortable. I didn't do too much before I was ready to shoot a landing. I sure didn't want to push the fuel envelope on the first flight, and I was running a bit higher throttle than I would have expected. When I put the gear down it provided quite a bit of drag, so I had to keep some power up. I backed off and started my descent. As I got close I could tell I was moving too fast, so I went to full throttle to go around. The Cheetah responded well and I was able to climb back out without much trouble. On the second attempt I cut the throttle a bit earlier. As I was coming in I was still a bit hot, so I used the elevator to try to burn off some speed. It touched down smooth but a bit fast. I know the brakes were not too strong, so I went to full application right away. It was not slowing very well, so I angled off the left side of our runway to enter the grass to help it slow down. It come to a stop smoothly, but used up all the runway and some grass.

Some takeaways from the maiden.
I wasn't real happy with the power level. I think the Y-pipe is using up a lot of thrust. I may even decide to convert to a single pipe to get rid of the Y-pipe issues and add power.
I had plenty of fuel on board even with the go-around. One tank was more than half full. I landed at about 7 minutes.
I need to double check the CG and get the throws set right. Hopefully it will take off better after that (having the elevator trimmed will help too). Any head wind would help in the future. I may bump up the canard throws a bit.
I didn't take the wheels apart because they are locked tight, but I need to get the brakes working better. It's possible some different o-rings or grease could help.
I noticed in photos and video that the hatch on the front would open up when I was coming in to land. I would guess that the canard crates a low pressure area that sucks it open. I'll add a small latch to it to help keep it shut.
I want to fly it with the pilot, tanks and missiles. That will add some drag and weight.

All things considered I'm happy and look forward to making some tweaks to get it dialed in. I'm still working on getting a video finished up, I'll post a link when it's available.

Last edited by Hot Rod Todd; 06-06-2018 at 06:41 AM. Reason: added photo
Old 06-06-2018, 07:10 AM
Signofinfinity

A BIG CONGRATULATIONS on your successful maiden flight!

I am sure that with the tweaks you will get a better flying machine.

Think the cheetah is a bit weak for the Y Pipe? A Rhino perhaps?

George
Old 06-06-2018, 07:16 AM
Hot Rod Todd

I don't think it'd like the weight of a Rhino. Once I get it sorted the Cheetah might be fine, I'm a bit challenged in runway length, but for most it could be Ok I'm sure.

I'm not sure that the Y-pipe I have is optimal for the engine (size and shape). A straight pipe solves all of the issues, but doesn't look as nice from behind.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:52 PM
mmflytie

Congrats on maiden Todd!! It isn't a speed demon kind of jet but has excellent stall qualities. I run a 180 in mine and thats just the right kind of power I like ( at 1/2-3/4 throttle). With power it will slide into turns nicely. I found mixing 10 degrees up canard when the wheels are down really helps( both take off and landing.

Enjoy your Eurofighter!

Marc
Old 06-06-2018, 01:47 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Glad you got the first flight done. Congrats.

the prototype also flies with some up elevator and nose high in level flight. Looks scale in flight this way. With the k160 and y pipe she has more then enough power and can hover after some fuel is burnt off.

I should have her out in a few weeks to get her ready for KYjets. I'll try and have someone video.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:53 AM
Hot Rod Todd

I'll try some up canard mixed in with the gear, it should help the lift off a bit.

I checked out the brakes. As usual, I should have been inspecting them ahead of time. They're not the typical o-ring setup. They have a seal that pushes out on a keyed disk that sandwiches a fiber disk. The main issue is that there appears to be a washer missing.

There is a shoulder on the axle that would provide a couple functions. It would allow the use of a washer that given the correct size will keep the fiber disk centered, as well as stop the keyed disk from pushing out too far. There was no washer in place in my gear, so I'll be finding something close and making it fit. Once that is done I think the brakes will work fine. I also will replace the Phillips head screw with an Allen head when I put it back together.

Check out the photos of the brakes and I think you'll see the issue.

Here's how it looks when I took it apart. Notice the fiber washer is off center.

Cleaned and added some grease to the seal, this part should be fine.

Arrow points to the shoulder where a washer would solve the issues.

You can see there needs to be a washer inside the fiber disk.
Old 06-08-2018, 04:18 AM
Signofinfinity

Todd,

Those brake discs are like my Excalibur (Stndrd)brakes. Same principle. And they do hold!

I will get you a couple of pictures of my spare set.

Maybe you can check diameter too, as they might also serve as an easy replacement to a wearable item...

Will post soon my set for details.

G
Old 06-08-2018, 04:27 AM
Signofinfinity

Old 06-08-2018, 04:28 AM
Signofinfinity

Old 06-08-2018, 04:32 AM
Signofinfinity

Old 06-08-2018, 09:20 AM
Hot Rod Todd

Thanks for the brake info. I may have to find some parts at some point. The fiber disks that come with the brakes are quite thin. Besides adding the washer I had to make a carbon fiber spacer to make sure the brake pads were thick enough. Hopefully they'll work now.

Here's the video of my Maiden flight. I cut out much of the boring stuff, trimming it out etc. I'll need to learn how to slow it up a bit more, and get those brakes dialed in.

Old 06-09-2018, 08:59 AM
Signofinfinity

Todd,

That is a beautiful flight!

Yes I think you need higher alpha on approach.

Congratulation on a lovely build and a gorgeous model. Thank you for sharing it.

Mine will start building after summer, as we are flying non stop at work at the moment! Not even time to enjoy the hobby!

Thanks and Congrats!!!
Old 06-09-2018, 12:12 PM
mmflytie

Plane looks awesome. I sure miss flying mine!! Nice job on the landing!!

Marc
Old 06-28-2018, 09:04 PM
Signofinfinity

Default Flight Progress

Hi Todd,

Any flight setup progress?
Did you set up the canards for assistance on rotation?

I might consider making a logical switch baseod on speed to deploy the use of canards....activation below speed threshold.

George

​​​​
Old 06-29-2018, 04:20 AM
Hot Rod Todd

I'm having some issues. The 2nd flight was difficult because I almost didn't get off the ground. Our runway is 500ft long Petromat, and when it's soft underneath there's a lot of drag. That combined with the brakes that might be dragging a bit, I can't build up enough speed. I'm also making sure I have the right amount of thrust. Could be an issue with the engine, pipe, or pipe spacing. I made a thrust gauge that should help me determine what I have. Until I get things resolved I won't be able to fly at our runway, not getting off the ground on takeoff would be ugly. I did give myself a bit more canard on takeoff, and it might have saved me.

I did get a couple photos from the first flight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.