Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

SR-71 Jets Over Kentucky 2017 Video

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

SR-71 Jets Over Kentucky 2017 Video

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 09:09 AM
P. Richards
My Feedback: (3)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking SR-71 Jets Over Kentucky 2017 Video

My first video from Jets Over Kentucky 2017 features the SR-71 Blackbird. I am working on the DVD and Blu-Ray discs.
Making Jet Videos Great Again.
P. Richards aka SwatTeam
Old 07-17-2017, 10:03 AM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Very nice!
Thanks for sharing!
Old 07-17-2017, 04:25 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 330 Likes on 217 Posts

Great video. Really enjoyed. Fantastic jet.
Gary
Old 07-18-2017, 06:20 AM
Lance Campbell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome job on a great video!
Thanks!
Lance
Old 07-18-2017, 05:39 PM
P. Richards

Default Thanks Guys

Originally Posted by Lance Campbell
Thanks!
Lance
I appreciate the comments, and I look forward to posting more video from the World's Grandest Jet Event 2017.

P. Richards aka SwatTeam
Old 07-20-2017, 05:50 PM
P. Richards

Over half way complete of the official Jets Over Kentucky 2017 DVD and Blu-Ray, we are right on schedule.
This weekend I will post another YouTube video. Which jet would you like to see in the video? I will let you guys decide.

P. Richards aka SwatTeam
Old 07-20-2017, 09:28 PM
olnico

Tunnan!
Old 07-20-2017, 11:07 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Lance Campbell
Thanks!
Lance
Amazing aircraft, Lance. My only complaint (and it's really nit picky on my part and NOT a big deal), is the rolls and inverted flight stuff. I fully admit that's my problem and not yours.. not trying to take anything away from what you're doing.. The airplane is simply awesome!

Incredible job!
Old 07-21-2017, 12:48 AM
olnico

Originally Posted by Doug Cronkhite
Amazing aircraft, Lance. My only complaint (and it's really nit picky on my part and NOT a big deal), is the rolls and inverted flight stuff. I fully admit that's my problem and not yours.. not trying to take anything away from what you're doing.. The airplane is simply awesome!

Incredible job!
Good point, however here is a small feedback.
I have created 3 versions of the SR:
1. An ultra-light version below 20 kgs for JWM stuff. This is restricted to the real one maneuveurs.
2. A reinforced version at 22 kgs for basic aerobatic manoeuvres ( rolls, inverted ) limited to 120 N engines that is more expensive than 1.
3. A super reinforced version at 25 kgs for bigger engines up to 160N that is more expensive than 2.

I have had 100% of my orders on version 2 and 3 so far. All our customers told me that they want to be able to do rolls, loops, and all the standard aerobatic maneuvers with their plane...
Old 07-21-2017, 05:47 AM
Lance Campbell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doug,
Your point is well taken. I've a funny story on that very topic....

I've been honored to twice be invited out to the SR-71 and U2's pilots reunion. It included not only a static display at the convention hall, but a flight demonstration as well, in the desert. My contact in the real program happened to be the last wing commander of the program before it was retired, and had seen the model fly for several years, in the mid-west before arranging for us to bring it to the reunion.

Prior to doing the first demo flights for the guys, I asked my contact: "You've seen that I can do some mild aerobatics with the plane....should I keep it 100% scale, or include them? I don't want to offend the guys...."
His response was: "Go ahead, the guys will get a kick out of it."

He was right big time.
After several scale laps and passes, I did an inverted pass, and had a big smile as I hear a conversation break out behind me between 2 pilots and 2 engineers with the program.... Engineer: " I told you it would do it, if only the fuel and hydraulic systems would have been plumbed to take it. !! ", followed by by the pilot agreeing that he would have loved to done it, but was certain he would not land at the same rank he took off at.

I also learned (and I don't think this is in any of the books....), that one of them was rolled once, and it totally knarled up some of the instrumentation, including the star tracking ANS (Astro-Navigation System).

You don't really think about it at the time, but all the pilots with the SR program came up through the ranks with thousands of hours of jet time, almost always in fighters. My contact was a navigator with the F-111's, prior to joining the SR program, and would spend his hours at below radar levels, tearing along the desert floor, at times inverted, looking at mountain ranges above them, on training exercises... the typical hair on fire, low level, fully aerobatic stuff... to then go to the serene back seat of an SR-71 at 80,000 feet.

Then again, to be truly scale, at 1/8 scale, I need to figure out how to do a 275 mph pass at 10,000 feet....

Lance

Last edited by Lance Campbell; 07-21-2017 at 05:50 AM.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:26 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah.. I really tried to reinforce that I'm not taking anything away from your efforts, Lance. It's MY hangup and mine alone.