Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Bandit ARF MK I

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Bandit ARF MK I

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2023, 06:39 PM
c/f
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Bandit ARF MK I

I just scored a NIB Bandit ARF MKI is my guess from my researching. Not positive though. It came with everything BVM purple and JR Servos. Is there a sure way to know which version?
It has the BVM serial numbers is my last resort call in to BVM.

I will be powering it with a Xicoy X120 Lite. Any words of wisdom or best relevant link would be appreciated.
Old 04-06-2023, 04:57 AM
turbomike
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it have a hatch in the bottom of the fuse?
Old 04-07-2023, 04:39 AM
c/f

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes it does, I'm guessing that was removed in MK II?
Old 04-07-2023, 07:22 AM
Ron S
My Feedback: (2)

Received 205 Likes on 125 Posts

I have a Mk I, (I guess you'd call it.) You need the lower square hatch to access the 10 or so cap screws to install the wings. The Mk I uses carbon fiber blade spars, essentially.

The Mk II uses an aluminum tube, I believe, as the wing spar. Because of that, they can get away without needing the big hatch on the bottom for wing installation.
Old 04-07-2023, 03:16 PM
DAN AVILLA
My Feedback: (12)

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by c/f
I just scored a NIB Bandit ARF MKI is my guess from my researching. Not positive though. It came with everything BVM purple and JR Servos. Is there a sure way to know which version?
It has the BVM serial numbers is my last resort call in to BVM.

I will be powering it with a Xicoy X120 Lite. Any words of wisdom or best relevant link would be appreciated.
That is great plane. I have had many. Use BVM's 15% take off and 45% on the flaps. I would take BVM's control throughs and start with 75% of what they say for high. Use their CG. I always had about 8MM of crow for landing. Dan Avilla
Old 04-07-2023, 06:35 PM
F900

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

I also have a Mk1 not flown yet, hoping the flight it soon, it's so light I have powered it with a SW80

Click image for larger version

Name:	UjKNbnL.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	2.11 MB
ID:	2272680
Old 04-07-2023, 10:36 PM
bandit_av

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi....
I had one like this for over 22 years, and now after I lost it, I bought one like this relatively new that needs to be finished building. The plane is one of the most wonderful I have ever flown, including all sport jets of all kinds. Pay attention to the issue of the engine, at first I had the AMT MERCURY HP with about 9.5 kg thrust, and then I changed it to a Merlin 120, with a thrust and weight pretty much the same as yours, which resulted in a weight reduction of about 800 grams from 9.7 kg, to about 8.9-9 Kg, and on the other hand, a significant increase in thrust, and believe me, a ballistic missile was created here, which I think is too much. In my new one, which is towards the end of construction, I might limit the engine a bit to 10-11 kg, but I haven't made a decision yet... just seeing this rocket was exciting...By the way, in continuation of what was said before, you will use the CG point that BVM recommends, there is simply no need to change.
I didn't use the first one with a gyro, because I just don't need it! But in my current one, I'll install it, just for the fun.
And more... I replaced and converted all the air systems in the wheels and doors to electric ones, and completely changed the whole mechanism of the doors in the wings, because it was always a headache, and a source of problems all the time. That way each wing has an electric door, saving myself quite a bit of trouble' and you not need all the time to connect and disconnect the doors with the air pistons.

Avi

Last edited by bandit_av; 04-07-2023 at 10:48 PM.
Old 04-08-2023, 10:27 AM
F900

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Any tips on attaching the wings? since every time you have to remove the bottom panel and turn it upside down which I dislike.
Old 04-08-2023, 01:08 PM
DAN AVILLA
My Feedback: (12)

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I purchased a right angle cordless drill attachment and tool a extra ball wrench and cut it off and welded it to a apex. I put them in by hand then tightn with the drill. Dan
Old 04-08-2023, 01:46 PM
jsnipes
My Feedback: (3)

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Buy a trailer and eliminate the need to remove wings! LOL!

Joking aside, awesome find! Nothing flies better than a BVM Bandit … regardless of which version. I had a MkII with a 120N turbine in it and I wouldn’t want one any other way after flying it. The 100N was just kinda meh …I do not know the weight difference of the MkI vs II though.

I always find BVM cg settings to be conservative and end up moving them back as I fly it/tune it.. Maybe the MkI is different from the MKII in this respect.

Highly recommend a Cortex Pro gyro. It’s not a matter of needing it … every rc plane is affected by wind and why fight it when there is proven technology to counter the buffeting of the wind to have that “locked in” feeling? To each their own, though.

Keep us posted on the build and enjoy!

JS

Originally Posted by F900
Any tips on attaching the wings? since every time you have to remove the bottom panel and turn it upside down which I dislike.
Old 04-09-2023, 12:09 AM
bandit_av

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jsnipes
Buy a trailer and eliminate the need to remove wings! LOL!

Joking aside, awesome find! Nothing flies better than a BVM Bandit … regardless of which version. I had a MkII with a 120N turbine in it and I wouldn’t want one any other way after flying it. The 100N was just kinda meh …I do not know the weight difference of the MkI vs II though.

I always find BVM cg settings to be conservative and end up moving them back as I fly it/tune it.. Maybe the MkI is different from the MKII in this respect.

Highly recommend a Cortex Pro gyro. It’s not a matter of needing it … every rc plane is affected by wind and why fight it when there is proven technology to counter the buffeting of the wind to have that “locked in” feeling? To each their own, though.

Keep us posted on the build and enjoy!

JS
Following on from what you mentioned about the 120N thrust, I really agree with you, as I mentioned, it's a crazy ballistic missile, and even after over 45 years of flying, it's really exciting, even though I had some thoughts that it was a bit too much.
Regarding the gyro, I didn't use my previous one, but I will use the new one with the PB iGyro3xtra, it can only add to the already super accurate platform.
Avi
The following users liked this post:
jsnipes (04-12-2023)
Old 04-11-2023, 04:35 AM
stealdesk
My Feedback: (4)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Classic Composite T Bandit (Mk 1?). I fly it with a Swiwin 120 and it is very fast.

The following 2 users liked this post by stealdesk:
Auburn02 (04-11-2023), Ron S (04-11-2023)
Old 04-11-2023, 06:14 AM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Ludicrous speed more like lol
The following 2 users liked this post by yeahbaby:
Hnorth (04-11-2023), jsnipes (04-12-2023)