Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

AMA Turbine Waiver Changes

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

AMA Turbine Waiver Changes

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 08:46 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Not required at my field. a lot of "blind leading the blind"

What is the status of maidens and waiver flight during AMA events?
Old 08-01-2017, 11:15 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

According to the rules, no maidens at an event. What I often see is maidens done very early before the event hours begin, or after hours. The actual rule in the safety code is

3. Model aircraft will not be flown in AMA sanctioned events, air shows or model demonstrations unless:
(a) The aircraft, control system and pilot skills have successfully demonstrated all maneuvers intended or anticipated prior to the specific event.
(b) An inexperienced pilot is assisted by an experienced pilot.
As for waiver flights I see nothing preventing it.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:31 AM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
According to the rules, no maidens at an event. What I often see is maidens done very early before the event hours begin, or after hours. The actual rule in the safety code is

As for waiver flights I see nothing preventing it.
Since the waiver flight is a demonstration of pilot skills, "a." Says that this flight must take place prior to the event.
"b" may address this?

Last edited by causeitflies; 08-01-2017 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:34 PM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by mr_matt
Not required at my field. a lot of "blind leading the blind"

What is the status of maidens and waiver flight during AMA events?
Mr Matt! Are you serious? Or just joking? After you answered me, I thought you were just trying to pick a fight, so I let it go. BUT! IF YOU ARE ON AN AMA CHARTERED FIELD, THEN BY AMA RULES, YOU ARE IGNORING THEM. Markum Park in Lauderdale had that issue too with 3 clubs trying to regulate what happened at the field. This was due to it being a public flying field in a public park. Even with 3 clubs there, no one really regulated anything. Hope you are just joshing us.

On a private field, it is the owner's rules, and no AMA is required. As long as you aren't flying over other's unprotected land and obstacles.

Last edited by RCFlyerDan; 08-01-2017 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:46 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan
Mr Matt! Are you serious? Or just joking? After you answered me, I thought you were just trying to pick a fight, so I let it go. BUT! IF YOU ARE ON AN AMA CHARTERED FIELD, THEN BY AMA RULES, YOU ARE IGNORING THEM. Markum Park in Lauderdale had that issue too with 3 clubs trying to regulate what happened at the field. This was due to it being a public flying field in a public park. Even with 3 clubs there, no one really regulated anything. Hope you are just joshing us.

On a private field, it is the owner's rules, and no AMA is required. As long as you aren't flying over other's unprotected land and obstacles.

I dont understand the hysterics here. Yes it is a public park. Yes people fly without a waiver. I am sure the folks trying to "regulate" Markham are having as much "fun" as my club is having trying to run things here........

BTW AMA does not charter fields, they charter clubs.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:01 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mr_matt
I dont understand the hysterics here. Yes it is a public park. Yes people fly without a waiver. I am sure the folks trying to "regulate" Markham are having as much "fun" as my club is having trying to run things here........

BTW AMA does not charter fields, they charter clubs.
Matt,
I thought that your field might be a "public" field and not a club field. Our club is fortunate that we are on private land and requiring flyers to be AMA members and follow the AMA Safety Code is in our lease. I realize that many clubs on public land are not in that situation and have to allow "non-AMA" members to fly there because they are on public land.

Its unfortunate that you are in that situation - as is Markham. Incidentally, I heard from the EC earlier this year about a video that was posted showing a jet flying over people and a highway. When I looked at the video, I immediately identified it as Markham. After they investigated, the AMA found out that not only is the club there no longer an AMA club, but the flyer who posted the video is not an AMA member - thus they could not do anything about it. However, if the FAA was really into enforcement, they could cite the guy for violating FAR Part 101 subpart E since he was not following the safety code of a CBO...

I sincerely hope that this kind of stupid stuff does not ultimately cost us our freedom to fly without FAA regulation, but I'm becoming less and less of an optimist in that area...

Bob
Old 09-23-2021, 05:45 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rhklenke
Matt,
I thought that your field might be a "public" field and not a club field. Our club is fortunate that we are on private land and requiring flyers to be AMA members and follow the AMA Safety Code is in our lease. I realize that many clubs on public land are not in that situation and have to allow "non-AMA" members to fly there because they are on public land.

Its unfortunate that you are in that situation - as is Markham. Incidentally, I heard from the EC earlier this year about a video that was posted showing a jet flying over people and a highway. When I looked at the video, I immediately identified it as Markham. After they investigated, the AMA found out that not only is the club there no longer an AMA club, but the flyer who posted the video is not an AMA member - thus they could not do anything about it. However, if the FAA was really into enforcement, they could cite the guy for violating FAR Part 101 subpart E since he was not following the safety code of a CBO...

I sincerely hope that this kind of stupid stuff does not ultimately cost us our freedom to fly without FAA regulation, but I'm becoming less and less of an optimist in that area...

Bob
Based on the discussion of compliance issues among waiver community in the 1 August 2021 AMA EC meeting, perhaps you need to address your own issues first.
Old 05-04-2022, 09:18 AM
jbeech

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I don't have a waiver but think it's a good idea to earn one before being turned loose to continue learning about turbine-modeling. Why? Simple, it's because proving you're an accomplished pilot is all about risk control (unless we want fellow pilots possibly hurting someone). Whether someone can afford to splatter several thousand bucks is another issue, and one that's none of my business, but what is my business - as a modeler - is safety.

So it's really down to whether someone has the right 'attitude' to be signed off. A couple of experienced turbine pilots can judge this easily. It's why it's my opinion the waiver shouldn't ever involve an online test and instead, require human interaction.

As a lifelong RC modeler (as of April, 50 years), my views on this are safety, first!
The following 2 users liked this post by jbeech:
CobraJet (11-10-2022), gooseF22 (09-07-2022)
Old 08-19-2022, 04:19 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

Well said.