Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

How long do you keep your TX?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

How long do you keep your TX?

Old 08-04-2017, 09:13 PM
Levi Wags

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How long do you keep your TX?

Hey guys,

I've had my 18MZ for a fair while now. It's still operating fine and I'm 100% happy with it, but I was wondering how long most of you keep running the same TX?

Everything has a life span so do you base it on a time frame or usage time or both?

Thanks in advance.
Levi
Old 08-04-2017, 09:22 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Not really electronics are pretty efficient if done correctly. I have had my radio almost 6 years and it works just as good as the day I got it. I know a lot of folks send their radio in every so often to futaba and always have some kind of parts replaced but I personally have never done this. I have flown futaba since the early 90s
Old 08-04-2017, 09:49 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had my 18MZ since it was available and it works just as well now as it did the day I got it. I was planning on getting a Jeti 24 for the telemetry, but I got tired of waiting.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:57 PM
Jannica

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I´ll keep mine untill Powerbox release their new TX.
Jannica
Sweden
Old 08-05-2017, 01:08 AM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I used my Multiplex Profi 4000 for 12 years on 36mhz (and still have it), then bought my Futaba 14 MZ on 2.4ghz (and still fly my helicopters on it). Then bought my Futaba 18MZ when it was introduced (and will keep it until there is something better).

Jan
Old 08-05-2017, 02:33 AM
SECRET AGENT
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had my Airtronics 10ch for about 8 years now, no issues.
Old 08-05-2017, 03:30 AM
Levi Wags

Great feedback thanks guys. The Jeti and PB radios sound tempting but I don't have the time to learn all the features of a new brand of radio so I'll keep rolling with the 18. Good to hear some of you have been using the same radio for many years. I know of some guys here in Oz that ran the JR 10X for over 10 years back in the day with no issue's too.
Old 08-05-2017, 04:20 AM
bem
My Feedback: (1)

I have used my Futaba 14MZ for 10 years. But this summer the throttle potentiometer gave up. (I have on loan a clubmates 14MZ now since he use 18MZ).
Otherwise my 14MZ has worked fine.
I will have my TX reparied by Futaba service guy in my country later in autumn, and also change rest of stick potentiometers and the internal battery at the same time.
Changed many of the Li-Ion batteries for this TX during the years of course since they do not last that many years with good capacity.
I had hoped Futaba would come with a replacement for 18MZ/18MZ WC and maybe such radio could replace my old 14MZ.
I will wait a little and see what Futaba might release in the future.
It feels that 10 years might be a reasonable limit for any TX to start thinking of retire it. I got the first sign now with the throttle potentiometer on mine.

/Bo

Last edited by bem; 08-05-2017 at 04:22 AM.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:40 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

I have had my JR 12X for over 7+ years now with no issues. BUT, over the past two months, I have been changing over to Jeti 16. I didn't change for the telemetry, but rather for the dual transmission of the Jeti. Do I like the radio yet? No, but I am getting used to it. I hear some of you about the change of learning new programming. This is hard for us, because we have all been used to Japanese/English translation, and Jeti is Eastern European/German translation. They look at things more different than the Asian Companies for set up and translation. I am not promoting Jeti, but they do have one of the best instructional videos than any other radio that I have had in the past, including JR, FUT, and Airtronics. Look at Esprit Tech/models to get an idea of the videos.
I look at radios as an insurance policy. Although, a newer radio with newer technology isn't always a safe move, and change is always scary when you have $10K + in the air. I also look at these higher end radios as an investment in fun. If you take the cost of the radio and divided by the number of years, the per year cost of fun is low. Especially comparing it to golf, boating, etc.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:02 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have two DX18's. One is first generation and the other was purchased about 3 years ago at KY jets. I have no reason to buy another radio unless I'm forced to. I'm sure there may come a day when the pots wear out etc. but I don't anticipate that happening for a long time..like 5 years or more.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:26 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

7-10 years is normal for a well looked after Tx. Putting damp Tx back in foam aluminium cases will kill the electronics in short time. I still fly my 10x on 35mhz, my DSX-9 JR 2.4 is over 9 years old and faultless, my DSX-12 is 9 years old this Xmas and still flys my Classic Flash, CARF Hawk, DJ Vampire and other models. I expect my 28x to be good for years yet.
On JR my only watch is batteries, I have never 'guessed' charged them with a wall charger, so 4-5 years is normal for the NimH packs and the DMSS stuff with built in chargers should last years, my XG8 is over 5 years already and I get a month of electric flying on one charge!
Old 08-05-2017, 02:37 PM
sirrom
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I just upgraded to my 18mz this past summer, but I used my 14mz since the day it was released in 2004. Still going strong without any maintenance done on it at all, ever. The screen sucks, but I learned to work around it.

Patrick
Old 08-05-2017, 06:15 PM
TimD.
My Feedback: (207)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Until they QUIT working !
Old 08-05-2017, 06:32 PM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I am on my 10th season with my Futaba 12FG. Been absolutely rock solid 100% of the time. No glitches of any kind, ever. I have been considering a switch to the Futaba 18SZ for the new features it has that the 12FG doesn't but, honestly, this 12FG has more programming potential than I will ever be able to use!
Old 08-06-2017, 03:32 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The only reason to change a radio is 1) Your current radio has failed, or 2) a new radio has specific features you want/need that you don't have on your current radio.

Don't EVER change from a known good radio just for giggles..
Old 08-06-2017, 03:57 AM
Levi Wags

Just goes to show how well our radios are made. They travel thousands of kilometres bouncing and banging in our trailers and cars on the way to events, and they are out in direct sunlight and sometimes light rain during use and still last 10 years.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:36 AM
SECRET AGENT

Originally Posted by Doug Cronkhite
The only reason to change a radio is 1) Your current radio has failed, or 2) a new radio has specific features you want/need that you don't have on your current radio.

Don't EVER change from a known good radio just for giggles..
There is a #3 as well, when your radio manufacturer quits making radios!
Old 08-06-2017, 09:33 AM
Nick Yuhasz
My Feedback: (11)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Received my Futaba 14MZ in February 2005. One of the first ones in the US. I know I was one of the first guys flying jets on the 14MZ since at every jet rally everyone wanted to look at it. Still flying jets with it (obviously on 2.4GHZ now). I sent it in once to have the color touch screen replaced and they replaced the gimbals for free. Other than that no issues.

Nick
Old 08-06-2017, 10:05 AM
Kelly Rohrbach

We still use an old original Jr 10x that must be close to 20 yr old. Just for foamies now but has never failed. I bet with proper care,keeping them out of the sun and gental handling they will last for a long long time. New technology may be the only reason to stop using them and then move them on to cheaper small model's.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:06 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SECRET AGENT
There is a #3 as well, when your radio manufacturer quits making radios!
Not true. If my radios still work, I see no reason to change.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:26 AM
bem

Just curious - for a transmitter normal usage what will usially be the first in the electronics in the TX that is most likely to fail as times goes?
Lets assume a reasonable modern TX mabye 10 years old.
Take my own Futaba 14MZ as example - I have once opened it and it for sure looked neat inside with many surface mounted components.
Of course the potentiometers can and will wear out sooner or later, sure switches and dials can wear out as well as the internal lithium battery will eventually need to be replaced.
Is maybe corrossion the biggest enemy if one live in country like me where we have hard winters (and if one fly then also) and not watch out for condensation and such?
I have always wondered how long an LCD color screen like the one in 14MZ and similar radios may last - anyone know expected lifespan on such things?

/Bo

Last edited by bem; 08-06-2017 at 11:33 AM.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:19 PM
lavi rider
My Feedback: (6)

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Been using my JR 10X that my wife gave me as a birthday gift in 1996 and I'm using it to guide my almost 8 year old CARF ultra lightning rock solid ....
got a 9 Chanel jr Tx on 72mHz flying my all original 1999 hirobo EX WC Freya Heli..
got a 2002 Graupner MC24 guiding some of my vintage Hanno Prettner Supra star 60 and other ... Lately my dear wife bought me an 18MZ ...

So, from experience I can't see why changing radios as long as there's nothing wrong with them .... :-)
Old 08-06-2017, 04:15 PM
SECRET AGENT

Originally Posted by Doug Cronkhite
Not true. If my radios still work, I see no reason to change.
Doug, as much as I love my "ScareTronics", I can see the writing on the wall with Sanwa and realize I should be at least looking at new radios. Maybe the new Powerbox one. I'd consider Jeti if their attitude didn't disgust me so badly.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:15 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Wait till it fails, assuming it wont fail while you are flying?

Aside from batteries, I have seen pots and wires going fail from mechanical cycling, pots sometimes start glitching but broken wires in all cases killing that axis of control, FWIW

Back in another life i had access to world class electronic assemblers, I would have her take my new TX apart and check for solder balls (found some over the years) and reflow any sketchy solder joints

Last edited by mr_matt; 08-07-2017 at 07:04 AM.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:41 AM
F1 Rocket

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by SECRET AGENT
Doug, as much as I love my "ScareTronics", I can see the writing on the wall with Sanwa and realize I should be at least looking at new radios. Maybe the new Powerbox one. I'd consider Jeti if their attitude didn't disgust me so badly.
Why let a problem with one guy keep you from a very nice system. The guys at Jeti are great and always working to keep their products at the forefront of what is possible. And there are several dealers in the USA you can purchase from.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.