RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

CARF Mephisto Build thread

Old 10-07-2019, 09:00 AM
flyer1966
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere View Post
That would be Alex's Mephisto and I think he flies around 5 minutes with the single 5ltr tank. I would go with the twin tanks at 6ltrs which is what the guys have here with JetCat P-300 Pro's that are around 310N.
Dave, why do you recommend the Jetcat 300 vs the Kigtech 320? Iím just curious. Thanks
Old 10-07-2019, 11:37 AM
Dave Wilshere

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Because I’m a JetCat dealer �� We don’t see a huge number of KT turbines in the UK, JetCat dominate still.
Every Mephisto in the U.K. flies with P-300 Pro or P-220Rxi depending on the guys who hover or don’t!

Dave
Old 10-07-2019, 11:57 AM
flyer1966

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

[QUOTE=Dave Wilshere;12555108]
Because Iím a JetCat dealer �� We donít see a huge number of KT turbines in the UK, JetCat dominate still.
Every Mephisto in the U.K. flies with P-300 Pro or P-220Rxi depending on the guys who hover or donít!

Dave
[/QUOTE

Ok thanks Dave. I have only flown the T one so far with a Kingtech 140. I have a KT 260 in a T3 also but I have not flown the jet yet. Where do the Jetcatís have to be serviced at?
Old 10-07-2019, 12:05 PM
Dave Wilshere

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For the US market there is a service centre, in Europe we all send to the factory for actual service work.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:55 PM
flyer1966

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For the US market there is a service centre, in Europe we all send to the factory for actual service work.
Thanks Dave. I really appreciate all the information. It wonít be until next year before Iím ready to purchase a Turbine. I canít wait to get my Jet and get started putting it together. Iím sure I will have more questions.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:08 AM
husafreak

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Could someone shed more light on the difference between the V1 and V2? The CARF website lists them all but having raced through this thread tonight I'm still unclear on how close the versions really are or aren't. For example if the gear doors are left off the V1 is it then the same as a V2 or are the V2 cut outs different? Obviously the bigger ailerons are welcome. And does the fuselage need strengthening? Have there been cracks etc. in the V1 fuselage? Also the thrust pipe allowing more power seems pretty important. Since I have to buy a turbine anyway I figure I might as well have a KT320 or equivalent, so that could be a big factor too. I happen to really like the "Cayman" color scheme, for me it just suits the angular lines of this aircraft, personal preference, but I see some have opted for a gloss finish rather than matt, Is it very easy to scratch or mar the matt finish vs the shiny clear? Thanks in advance for any insight.
Old 10-16-2019, 02:05 AM
Dave Wilshere

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You can pretty much turn a V1 into a V2 other than the wings. No issues with the V1, we have a bunch flying locally and even with repeated grass operation, no issues...but this is CARF so that should not surprise.
If you screw the gear doors closed and cut the leg clearance it's pretty much the same, as always there has been minor evolution on the construction. The Tail end has seen the greatest work with the vortex generators and carbon trailing edge tube on the stabs. The rear former is strengthened to cope with the new vector pipe assembly. The option of single or twin tanks now gives the European customers an easier job to get to 25kg wet, for me twin tanks would still be the way to go as 5-6 mins would not be long enough!
The satin finish is surprisingly robust, some of my friends are not exactly gentle with the handling/loading (thrown in the car would be close!) and the Cayman satin yellow still looks OK after more than a year.

Dave
Old 10-16-2019, 02:40 PM
husafreak

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Dave, gotta say seeing you here on the Mephisto forum gave me very positive vibes!
Iíll assume V1 and V2 fly about the same and itíll probably come down to color schemes. As in how much is a color scheme worth! Iíll say again I liked the Mephisto in the V1 colors but loved it in the Cayman colors! Thatís when I wanted one.
The single tank setup is I guess an extreme attempt at weight savings to allow hovering with smaller turbines. Thatíll be a tough decision but I would certainly enjoy normal jet flights in the 7-8 minute range.

Old 10-16-2019, 09:17 PM
Dave Wilshere

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Been involved in it for 5 years! The only new V2 scheme so far is Alex’s red/white/blue, but any scheme is possible on the V2, Once the inventory of V1 kits are sold there are no more, it’s not really a hovering machine on anything less than 250N and to be comfortable 300+ is needed.

Dave
Old 10-16-2019, 10:11 PM
husafreak

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Oh, I thought all the ďCaymanĒ schemes were V2ís.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:11 AM
Dave Wilshere

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No, it's been a scheme since the first release. Had the first three Cayman kits 18 months ago!
Old 10-17-2019, 09:18 AM
husafreak

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Roger that
Old 10-17-2019, 01:37 PM
husafreak

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks again Dave, for the entire thread and direct input. I got an order in today for a V2 in my preferred color scheme (Cayman). I hated to pass up on a nice potential savings on an existing V1 but that will be forgotten a year from now. I'll go with the larger fuel tanks.
Does the Mephisto ship with some sort of wing bags? Bubble wrap bags or better? CARF sells an aftermarket bag set but I'm not sure I need that. But I don't want to have to resort to wrapping the surfaces in blankets!
Old 10-17-2019, 01:41 PM
husafreak

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm still on the fence about power, yes the occasional hover would be a thrill and it is usually a part of any 3D prop flying I do, but requires a rather massive amount of thrust. And I don't know how risky it is with jets.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:03 PM
Dave Wilshere

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It comes with the usual CARF foil bags for outer wings, tail and fin, but the Revoc bags are really worth the extra. Depending how you are going to transport it, the rear fuse needs a bag too if you are going to remove it from the front.

Hovering anything is is a risk, but for sure the cost implications of a jet of this value are way above any gas model.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:35 PM
husafreak

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Food for thought, but I love those CARF foil bags! Glad to hear they are included.
Iíll have to see if I can get the entire fuselage in my big azz van. Typically around here we all build PVC pipe carriers for our jets, utilizing plumbers foam for padding.
Iíve lost power in my BVM F-16 twice while at high alpha, not fun, so maybe a little gun shy. But anyway, my thoughts exactly on that subject.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:49 AM
GULDUKAT

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Gonna make the V1 to V2 taileron and turbulator mods today. I can use some more authority from the tailerons at low speed on high alpha and getting into a hover..

For the turbulators - are we drilling holes and inserting and then gluing the 2mm carbon pieces or just gluing to the top? The 5MM carbon rods at the end of the taileron - are they all the way across at the rear of the taileron? (photos seems to show like they are about 100-130mm from the root onwards.)
Old 10-18-2019, 04:29 AM
Dave Wilshere

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Cut them in if you want them to stay put in handling!
The whole trailing edge.

Dave
Old 10-21-2019, 09:10 AM
husafreak

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Been involved in it for 5 years!

Dave
Hey, this is a big step for me! My second jet was an Ultra Flash and I didn't keep it, I just decided that as far as jets were concerned I was a "scale guy". I haven't considered a sport jet or looked at a sport jet thread in 5 years But over the time I have been involved I have seen the number of sport jets go through the roof, they often outnumber scale jets now. And I can't deny I've been flying my scale jets more and more like sport jets, doing overly aggressive or unusual maneuvers that a real jet wouldn't do. So what the heck, time to join the party.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:55 AM
Dave Wilshere

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I love scale jets...but would never be without a Flash. What ever the weather you can fly, my group even declare weekends Flash weekends when there are cross winds forecast!

The Mephisto is a great model, you will enjoy it. In the U.K. CARF models dominate the events, there is a good reason for that.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:38 AM
husafreak

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Too true about the crosswinds, we had a jet event last weekend in Lodi, CA. ďRally in the ValleyĒ strong gusty crosswinds 10-15mph. It was crazy how many beautiful scale jets took damage. My F-16 and Cougar were both a handful once touched down. But CARF sport jets like the Flash and Rebel flew nonstop both days, great ground handling and quite a lot of them. Popular here too.