Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

CARF Mephisto Build thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

CARF Mephisto Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 12:59 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by F1 Rocket

Not all
Seriously, there are plenty of guys flying the Mephisto with the Cortex Pro, Including Markus Rummer and several of his fellow CARF team pilots.

Danny
i was talking UK guys. I know many have followed Markus’s set up, it does not suit everyone.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:53 PM
JTFDEZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Andrew Bird
I'm not a cortex user but here's my 10 pence worth:

I only have 13 flights on mine but I have worked pretty hard on the set up. This plane really benefits from taking the time to get the base set up to your liking before switching on the gyros. I haven't even looked at the set up in the manual so not sure what they recommend but have found the ailerons soft compared to the elevators so am running max throw and around 10% expo aileron with the elevators knocked back at 60% travel and 30% expo. I suspect this will be more twitchy than many would like but hopefully it gives an idea of control balance on the two surfaces. The rudder is pretty sensitive as well so I'm running 30% expo there as well. I'm running 16% differential to get it axial as well (not using tailerons).

Mine required mixing Rudder / elevator and rudder / aileron in knife edge flight and some time playing to get the trim of the tail pipe reasonably close. There is a decent Flap elevator mix needed as well.

Gyro wise I've kept it simple - a 3 position switch, 1 Off, 2 low gyro mode vector off, 3 max gyro and vector. I'm not using any heading hold at the moment. My low rate gyro is helping stabilise in wind etc but gives the model a bit more feel and feedback. My high rate gyro is mostly max'd out on each surface - please take care with the elevator set up here. Mine seemed to still have a very small amount of hunting from the elevators at high speed which wasn't always that easy to spot so keep a good eye on it - my elevator gain is the lowest of all the gains for reference.

I was really disappointed with mine after the first flight - my base set up was awful! Now I've worked it through and kept tweaking I'm really enjoying it. I'm still refining things and still learning the plane - I have to admit I'm not a big gyro user so am trying to find a balance where the gyro isn't killing all the feel and feedback this (or any!) plane can deliver.
Many Thanks Andrew, excellent contribution!
Old 07-28-2018, 03:19 AM
ausfester

Did anyone get the CG template referred to in the manual?
Old 07-28-2018, 04:47 AM
Dave Wilshere

I’ve not seen one so far. What sort of flying are you aiming for? The balance range is quite large on the Mephisto

Dave
Old 07-28-2018, 04:51 AM
ausfester

Slow flight with high alphas / hovers is what I’m intending to practice the most.
From videos seems to sit nicely like the Eurosport in HA position
Old 07-28-2018, 11:33 AM
Dave Wilshere

Will need careful setting up to get it to sit like you see in some videos. The transitions between wing and vector lift needs full gyro on the vector.
i would start on the back edge of the wing tube and move it back from there once you get some flying in.
Old 07-28-2018, 06:50 PM
ausfester

So basically hang her from the spars to start and move back once comfortable.
Thanks Dave
Old 08-05-2018, 09:18 PM
ausfester

Tried doing the CG Lastnight, ended up with batterys just infront of the turbine which was very surprising considering some of the pic's i've seen with RX Packs in the nose.
Anyone else find this?
Old 08-05-2018, 09:47 PM
ZivBit

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi,

Maidened one Mephisto last friday.
I used the CG as per manual.
Flew great and predictable, tried the vector thrust - but CG was much too forward. Will need to move it backward to get the VT to operate properly.
Will try again once done .

cheers,
Ziv
Old 08-05-2018, 09:48 PM
Dave Wilshere

Ausfester
You have the counter balanced tails?
We have some with the batteries around the access hole.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:57 PM
Dave Wilshere

Originally Posted by ZivBit
Hi,

Maidened one Mephisto last friday.
I used the CG as per manual.
Flew great and predictable, tried the vector thrust - but CG was much too forward. Will need to move it backward to get the VT to operate properly.
Will try again once done .

cheers,
Ziv
Honestly I found the balance made less difference to the tumbling, than the throttle timing on the big turbines with slow eflux speed, the turbine needs to be near full power for the vector to bite. Even with my 220 if I am slightly late on the throttle it does not rotate.
i would set the balance to fly nicely as an aeroplane, 45 degree roll inverted etc, then play with the vector. You may well be nose heavy, but I don’t think that’s the main problem. You have a KT 310?
Old 08-05-2018, 10:13 PM
ZivBit

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, I use KT310
I agree we need to use the throttle response on the 310 a little different
at 45 inverted it dives a little
I will add some lead to the tail and check again
I use the new balanced tail

cheers
ziv
Old 08-06-2018, 02:56 AM
ausfester

I have the balanced tail version from factory too and a 310
triple checked tonight and CG is on the rear of the wing tubes with batteries in the front access hatch of the middle wing base.
Not an ideal location but better than dead weight.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:00 AM
ausfester

Old 08-12-2018, 03:47 PM
IFlyEm35
My Feedback: (5)

How does this airplane fly without the thrust vectoring? I'm looking at the Havoc and Havoc SS but I do like the look and size of the Mephisto. Its larger than the SS but not as large as the big Havoc.

Thoughts?

Last edited by IFlyEm35; 08-12-2018 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-12-2018, 04:56 PM
skymaster68
My Feedback: (4)

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

And the day came!!! First of all a big thank you to my friend and builder JTFDEZ, he did a splendid jod...My Mephisto was ready since a couple weeks back but due to work I didn’t have the time to maiden it untill last week, I couldn’t wait a day more, so after 15hrs of duty time from JFK to Santiago-Chile u headed to my club and maiden it...
what can I say that hasn’t all ready been said, the Mephisto is THE PLANE!! It does it all, and i mean ALL... it is so stable, so precise so predictable and has not a single bad habit... I was shoked after the the first flight of how it handles, it’s so much fun to fly it, definitelly a MUST in your hangar!!
My power plant for now is a KT260 that performs more than good, great power good throtle responce...
since the maiden day I have put 10 more flights on it, also seted the Cortex pro after the 3rd flight and there I was flying 3D, hover , tumbles, flat spins, high alfa staff and it was a joy!!!
Now I’ll start playing with the CG as it is a little forward, here are some pictures of maiden day and following flights...
also to to answer the cuestion about the TV I disconected it for some of the flyingts and did some IMAC flying it hendled awesome!!!

Old 08-19-2018, 08:47 AM
Dave Wilshere

Andrew Bird is packing in the flights with his JetCat P-300Pro powered Mephisto

Old 08-19-2018, 04:27 PM
geebeeman
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the preliminary CG check on mine today without the batteries installed. Like yours - mine came out nose heavy. Looks like my batteries will have to go aft of the CG as well. I too was surprised. I have a Jetcat 300 installed as far forward on the mounting rails as possible trying to maximize the distance between the turbine exhaust and the tailcone . I could possibly move it aft a bit.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:07 PM
Dave Wilshere

You have the latest balanced tails? None of the 6 Mephisto models here have the batteries aft of the balance. With the radio batteries near the radio ledge having the turbine, retract and possibly smoke batteries near the balance is normal with a 300.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:00 AM
Andrew Bird

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the pics Dave. Getting on really well with the plane now.

GeeBeeMan - something sounds wrong there. My 300 isn't as far forward as that - it's set for the correct tail cone gap. Surely you tailpipe gap must be massive if it's that far forward? Just for reference 1 rx pack is up in the nose next to the nose retract unit, the other is over the top of where the ducts meet and the other is next to the UAT on the plate over the top of the intake ducts.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:53 AM
geebeeman

I am assuming I have the latest and greatest (weighted tails). I custom ordered mine as an all white one and received it directly from CARF Thailand in late May 2018. As you can see in the photo, I have mounted my Jetcat 300 about as far forward as possible. The Tailcone isn't permanently mounted yet, but is in the proper location for the photo. The gap seems small to me. Andrew - what gap do you have and where are you taking the measurements? I haven't trimmed the front of the bell mouth as ZivBit has, but I intent to.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:54 AM
geebeeman

Old 08-20-2018, 08:41 AM
geebeeman

Here's a side view if that helps.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:16 AM
Andrew Bird

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That doesn't look wildly far forward compared to mine! I've subsequently trimmed off the entire front section of the bell mouth forward of the carbon mounting bracket to get better airflow around the turbine. I can't remember what tailpipe gap I ran - I seem to remember something like 55mm but I could be totally wrong. Unfortunately I'm away with work all week now so can't check until I'm home again.

Last edited by Andrew Bird; 08-20-2018 at 09:29 AM.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:28 AM
Dave Wilshere

The figure I gave Birdy was 50mm, but 50-55 is what you want. Your non Pro P300 will be a little lighter,but that won’t make a huge difference near the balance like it sits

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.