Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Build up jets

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Build up jets

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 12:11 PM
F4 Phantom blue angles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Build up jets

Does anyone know where I can find a build up jet (DF or Turbine). I know I can buy foam kits,but I'm trying to save money. Most kits are around 1500-2 thousand dollars. What would be the best way to go for my first jet. DF or Turbine. Thankyou.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:26 PM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

DreamworksRC.com Look for the Xcalaber. Xcalabers do fly nice and are easy to put together.

Personally, I would go turbine and skip the EDF. EDF batteries are horrifically expensive for any of the nice EDFs and the flights don't even last long enough to get used to the thing. But if your really interested in an EDF the MotionRC A-10 is a nice flier as well as a nice looking plane.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:48 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I think the Motion Avanti would be a much better first jet for someone new over the A-10
Old 09-07-2017, 02:31 PM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

Global jet club has a line of small fiam turbine jets. Fly nice and as cheap as you can get into turbines
Old 09-07-2017, 02:59 PM
David Jackson
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ventrix is another one to consider, roughly $1900 usd with landing gear.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:04 PM
karl hibbs
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The only way you will save money getting into jets of any kind is to have someone give you one. That will still cost you.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:21 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by karl hibbs
The only way you will save money getting into jets of any kind is to have someone give you one. That will still cost you.
LOL......

Actually, the only way jets will save you money is if you never get one.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:39 PM
SECRET AGENT
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get a Ziroli Turbinator sport jet wood kit for $345 if what your looking for is an all wood build up kit.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:29 PM
roger.alli

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These things fly really nice.. A proper builders kit. http://www.btemodels.com/r54.html

And there is a huge thread here about them. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...t-kit-147.html
Old 09-07-2017, 07:06 PM
oliveDrab

Originally Posted by roger.alli
These things fly really nice.. A proper builders kit. BTE Reaction 54

And there is a huge thread here about them. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...t-kit-147.html
The total price of my Reaction 54 ... kit + motor + servos + receiver + retracts ... was approximately $3500. It's probably the nicest flying airframe of all the planes I own. If you really want to save money but want to fly a jet buy a foam EDF. Stinger 90 from MotionRC. $379 + $109 (50C Lipo battery). MotionRC has lots of EDF's to choose from. Or the Viper jet 90 which is a little bigger than the Stinger 90. Taft hobby sells the Viper jet 90 for less than $500.

A word of caution: the Stinger 90 EDF is fast. If you take off, suck up the flaps, retract the gear, and give it full throttle ... it will go out of sight really fast. Be prepared to turn back so you can keep it in sight. If you don't you'll end up disoriented and you'll lose your plane.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:14 PM
erh7771
My Feedback: (30)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Len Todd
DreamworksRC.com Look for the Xcalaber. Xcalabers do fly nice and are easy to put together.

Personally, I would go turbine and skip the EDF. EDF batteries are horrifically expensive for any of the nice EDFs and the flights don't even last long enough to get used to the thing. But if your really interested in an EDF the MotionRC A-10 is a nice flier as well as a nice looking plane.
The quality EDF batteries are no longer expensive some the most expensive EDF batteries are of the lowest quality and performance ..
Well known in the EDF and Saw community some of the most marketed batteries are horrible performers.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...st-Comparisons
Old 09-07-2017, 09:25 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

If you wan to build and are up to the task then the BTE Reaction is #1, I build the Turbinator and it wasn't as easy as building a Reaction also the reaction can fly with a 14# trust turbine just fine.

Don't want to build then the Boomerang jets and the ARF Turbinators are on sale right now, $1000 for the Boomerang XL but you'll need a 27# trust turbine to have fun with it.

If you build a Reaction you will spend less on the accessories.

One more thing, if you can swing by Best In The West next month you may find an aircraft at a good price.

Last edited by CARS II; 09-07-2017 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:38 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Eric Baugher's "Performance Phantom" from the old Flying Models plan would be awesome with a K-45G I think.. Rich Uravitch has drawn up a nice Sub-Sonex that should be available in a couple months that would be great for the K45G as well. I'm going to build one of them when I get home from Afghanistan in December..
Old 09-08-2017, 07:03 AM
karl hibbs
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

On the lines of saving money, please do not try and save money by using cheap on board electronics. It is part of getting a waiver , you must have the sense to know better. I have seen servos fail first hand after being told not to use them. If I was going to give a waiver test cheap servos would be a failed test.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:25 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Wow.... makes me laugh. There is some good advice up there, and some silly. (I won't get into it)

OK... as some of the guys above said... the Reaction 54 is a great kit. I want one in a BAD WAY... but I don't have the time to build one. I have a buddy with one, and I'm sure I will get him to sell it to me eventually. (LOL) They fly great on a 60N engine... and are built like a tank. They are relatively fast, and slow to a crawl. That would be #1 on my list of you want to build.

Next... the guy who said... "If you want to save $$$... don't start flying jets"... well... he hit the nail on the head. I'm not your typical "Jet Jock". I'm not really into speed, and I don't like to build scale models. But I LOVE the sound and smell of these little things. And, the majority of our jet community are friendly and helpful. And because of that, I have 4 flying, and 2 on the bench. (all budget builds)

I was in the same position as you about 6 years ago. I wanted to get into it... but I wanted to do it on a budget. (So I didn't have to get a divorce) My first model was the Nitro Planes Falcon 120. Back in the day... you could get it for under $100 shipped !!! Since then... they got popular, and a couple companies bought the rights to it... beefed it up... and raised the price. But, you can still find them. FYI... my first Jet was in the air for less than $1100. (less my radio Tx) These jets also fly very well. If you can find one... I would recommend it. I see them used all the time.

The next thing is any of the Jet Mach models. You can still buy the kits, and build them. There is a high wing, a low wing, and they go from a "44" sized up to a "100" size. You can find them here... Jetmach Aircraft by LDS : Laser Design Services I know a lot of people who have started with them. The nice thing is... they don't have retracts. That makes some people say it's not a real jet... but to me... it makes it a lot cheaper to build, and easier to rig. Oh... FYI... they also sell the Turbinator kits.

Lastly... keep an eye on the used section. I've found some KILLER deals on jets. I've seen some nice jets go for 25% of what the original price would have been. But, generally... the best deals happen at the jet rallies. Someone may ding up a model, and just not want to drag it home... or they are just tired of it being in the trailer. Either way... it's a good place to get started.

I see you are west of Altoona... you may want to try to get up to the OC Turbo Fest in Tittusville. I think this year, it's early October.

Good luck... as questions.... and honestly... just run away. LOL.

Last edited by Dr Honda; 09-08-2017 at 09:00 AM.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:50 AM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

Tony is right about some guys don't want to take home a damage jet, I got my Boomerang XL with the undercarriage gone after it run off the runway at BITW years ago, I repaired it and it is stronger than when new.
Old 09-08-2017, 11:53 AM
Eaglepilot2

Philip Avonds has very nice builders kits and they all fly extremely well. Philip is also a very nice guy to deal with and very supportive.
Take a look here.

www.avonds.com