Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New Sport Jet: T-One Models Mini Fortune / Mini T1

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New Sport Jet: T-One Models Mini Fortune / Mini T1

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 01:04 PM
tucson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tip22v
Stan,
I'm glad you got her out without any major damage. Your predicament has spawned an idea: because this is likely to happen to the rest of us as some point I'm thinking about pulling all of my bolts and using a Dremel cutting wheel to pre-grove them, that way if they get stuck I have the option of carefully using a flat screw driver to break them loose. As mentioned above, I'll practice on a few bolts in a vice to figure out the optimal depth of the groove such that it will work without affecting the hex driver. The downside to this is that looking at my regular T1 it appears I'll have to remove the metal grommets to get the bolts out, which if done carefully they can be glued back in place. On the mini it looks like I'll have to drill slightly bigger holes to remove the bolts, worse case here is I could put in some rubber grommets. -Tom
hi Tom,
good idea slotting the wing screws. i originally put grommets in the wing bolt holes. that helped with preventing paint flanking off around the holes.
stan
Old 01-21-2019, 01:59 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

Why would they say it got stuck in the first place? Did you really wrench it down tight and when you went to loosen it the head rounded out? I have a really bad habit of overtightening things...
Old 01-21-2019, 02:44 PM
Tip22v

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by camss69
Why would they say it got stuck in the first place? Did you really wrench it down tight and when you went to loosen it the head rounded out? I have a really bad habit of overtightening things...
I've got one main wing bolt on my regular T-1 that is very close to rounding out, I suspect because of me tightening it too much.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:13 AM
Air3D540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've gone back and forth a million times on deciding between installing a Cortex or the PB Mercury in my Mini. I think I've finally decided on the Mercury with dual 7003sb recievers but has anyone ordered one lately and received the new "V2" version with the different gyro chip? Supposedly it has a yellow or red dot on the bottom of the unit - that's the only indication it's an updated version. I mainly like the idea of power distribution, gyro, and telemetry all in one unit.
I fly Futaba so my options are a little more limited as compared to Spektrum or especially Jeti setups. After seeing some of everyone's complete setups on here, I'd jump ship to Jeti if I weren't so many years deep into the Futaba world.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:37 AM
Tip22v

Originally Posted by Air3D540
I've gone back and forth a million times on deciding between installing a Cortex or the PB Mercury in my Mini. I think I've finally decided on the Mercury with dual 7003sb recievers but has anyone ordered one lately and received the new "V2" version with the different gyro chip? Supposedly it has a yellow or red dot on the bottom of the unit - that's the only indication it's an updated version. I mainly like the idea of power distribution, gyro, and telemetry all in one unit.
I fly Futaba so my options are a little more limited as compared to Spektrum or especially Jeti setups. After seeing some of everyone's complete setups on here, I'd jump ship to Jeti if I weren't so many years deep into the Futaba world.
I understand your position, I was there with more than 10 years of Spektrum gear, however I jumped ship to Jeti last fall and have not regretted my decision. I’ve still got two DX 18 transmitters, one I use just for helis, the other for other smaller stuff, but i’ve converted all my jets except for my little habu32 with a T35.
One of my T1 minis is setup with a Mercury SRS (new chip), I also have a regular T1 with the Mercury SRS, also with the new chip. I also have another T1 mini that I have setup with a Jeti CB200 and Cortex pro, though I have not maidened it yet (hopefully this weekend). Once I fly my mini with the cortex I will be able to tell if there is any difference between the two gyros. I don’t suspect I’ll be able to tell much difference, but I’m not a pro either. -Tom
Old 01-26-2019, 10:22 AM
camss69

Originally Posted by Air3D540
I switched from JR to Jeti last year, sold all my stuff and only came up $100 short that I had to pay out of pocket to switch everything over. I took a good look at Futaba but the lack of choices in the receiver department is what steered me away. You could also just switch one plane at a time.. I recently installed a Mercury in a friends jet he was using a DX20. The thing I don’t like about the PowerBox solution is a lot of the features it’s capable of the transmitter can already do. All he really needed was a power safe receiver (something Futaba has yet to figure out as I’m sure you’re aware) and it would have been a simple setup. We have issues with the PowerBox (which is what I’m getting to here) where until the PowerBox itself gets up to operating temp the surfaces are out of trim. This was diagnosed by Horizon tech support and confirmed by PowerBox as an issue with an oscillator circuit in the Mercury. You in a nutshell have to warm it up before it’s ready to fly by turning the plane on several minutes before you plan to fly. Weird I know..
Old 01-26-2019, 12:15 PM
Air3D540

I understand your position, I was there with more than 10 years of Spektrum gear, however I jumped ship to Jeti last fall and have not regretted my decision. I’ve still got two DX 18 transmitters, one I use just for helis, the other for other smaller stuff, but i’ve converted all my jets except for my little habu32 with a T35.
One of my T1 minis is setup with a Mercury SRS (new chip), I also have a regular T1 with the Mercury SRS, also with the new chip. I also have another T1 mini that I have setup with a Jeti CB200 and Cortex pro, though I have not maidened it yet (hopefully this weekend). Once I fly my mini with the cortex I will be able to tell if there is any difference between the two gyros. I don’t suspect I’ll be able to tell much difference, but I’m not a pro either. -Tom
That'll be interesting to see which (if either) you prefer over the other. I've never flown with a gyro so I'm sure I'd be happy either way.
Do you mind me asking where you ordered your Mercury's from? I've been looking at Chief Aircraft. I think the new chip began being distributed back in late 2017 so I don't think any old ones will be left in circulation but you never know I guess. I'm a tad paranoid due to some things I've read regarding this setup and having the latest version would help ease my mind a bit.

I switched from JR to Jeti last year, sold all my stuff and only came up $100 short that I had to pay out of pocket to switch everything over. I took a good look at Futaba but the lack of choices in the receiver department is what steered me away. You could also just switch one plane at a time.. I recently installed a Mercury in a friends jet he was using a DX20. The thing I don’t like about the PowerBox solution is a lot of the features it’s capable of the transmitter can already do. All he really needed was a power safe receiver (something Futaba has yet to figure out as I’m sure you’re aware) and it would have been a simple setup. We have issues with the PowerBox (which is what I’m getting to here) where until the PowerBox itself gets up to operating temp the surfaces are out of trim. This was diagnosed by Horizon tech support and confirmed by PowerBox as an issue with an oscillator circuit in the Mercury. You in a nutshell have to warm it up before it’s ready to fly by turning the plane on several minutes before you plan to fly. Weird I know..
Good point, switching over plane by plane is what I may end up doing. I really wish Futaba could keep up a little more with the other manufacturers. Up until now with the Mini, I've only built and flown electrics - mostly EDF's and several 25-35% aerobatic/3D electrics. Futaba has been OK for those but turbine powered jets are a whole different game. If I start getting hooked on turbines, which is very likely, I'll probably go with Jeti for any other jet build.
Old 01-26-2019, 12:40 PM
Tip22v

I bought mine from Chief, however I had to send all three of them back to Powerbox America and they switched them out for the new chips. If you are thinking about buying a Mercury SRS I would buy from Danny at Aeropanda.com. Danny will actually talk to you and answer questions, whereas I’ve never been able to get any help from anyone at Chief. I’m not dissing Chief, I’ve bought a lot of stuff from them over the years and always received prompt shipping, they just either don’t have the expertise with some specialty stuff (e.g. Powerbox) or don’t make it easy to talk with them. -Tom
Old 01-26-2019, 02:11 PM
firehawkzach

I almost bought a mercury SRS but ultimately decided against it and went with a batshare deluxe and demon vortex. I'm running Graupner and I find that so far this set up is flawless in all my testing. I will maiden next weekend if the weather allows. Very nervous over here lol.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:17 AM
Tip22v

Originally Posted by firehawkzach
I almost bought a mercury SRS but ultimately decided against it and went with a batshare deluxe and demon vortex. I'm running Graupner and I find that so far this set up is flawless in all my testing. I will maiden next weekend if the weather allows. Very nervous over here lol.
let me know where end up setting your gain on the Cortex,-Tom
Old 02-01-2019, 11:58 PM
firehawkzach

let me know where end up setting your gain on the Cortex,-Tom
Tom,

I ended up putting the gain on a potentiometer that way I can go very little and off. I disabled the heading hold.

On a separate topic I found my rudder binding this evening. It would swing left no problem but when it traveled right it bound. After disconnecting the servo arm from the rudder I noticed that the paint build up on the bottom hinge created a groove for the hinge assembly when in the neutral position. As the rudder moved right the hinge hit a paint ramp which caused the binding at around 25% throw. I took an exacto knife and removed the excess material and now it moves freely. I'm certainly glad I caught this now instead of the day of the maiden. I only took one after picture, but the excess paint was located to the right of the bottom rudder hinge. In the pic you can see where I removed the excess paint.

Zach
Old 02-02-2019, 08:14 PM
BlueBus320
My Feedback: (57)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone try the PNP version yet?

how about with lights? I just ordered one from Dirk & wondering if anyone else has tried one. If so, how are the lights?
Old 02-02-2019, 09:14 PM
firehawkzach

Originally Posted by BlueBus320
how about with lights? I just ordered one from Dirk & wondering if anyone else has tried one. If so, how are the lights?
Mine was the PnP version and I am very happy with it. I didn't do the light kit with mine though.
Old 02-03-2019, 05:28 AM
BlueBus320

Thanks FireHawk. I’ll try to post pics of the lights & stuff since there doesn’t seem to be any out there.
Jay
Old 02-03-2019, 09:58 AM
BlueBus320

Any recommendations on T-1 vs the mini? Anyone try the silver rockstar? If so, does it show in the sky ok?
thanks, Jay
Old 02-04-2019, 10:01 AM
Tip22v

Any recommendations on T-1 vs the mini? Anyone try the silver rockstar? If so, does it show in the sky ok?
thanks, Jay
I have both: T-1 with K160, and 2 minis, both with K85. The T1 and mini fly very similarly, the T1 is bigger so it is easier to see at distance. I'm operating all of these from a 300' asphalt strip, so even the bigger T1 will slow down for the shorter runways. I fly the minis more than the T1 simply because I don't have to hook up my trailer to take my minis out the field. I could get the T1 in my SUV but I'd have to disassemble the tail feathers to do so, I can get both of my minis in my SUV without taking off the horizontal stabs. It really comes down to the size of your field, size of your vehicle, size of your budget, and your preference for larger aircraft. Someone asked me once "which one do you like best?" my answer was "yes." -Tom
Old 02-04-2019, 12:59 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

thanks, Jay
I have both...as well, I like them both, but if I had to sell one it would be the mini....the larger T-1 is more fun to fly for me, could be the scheme...my mini is the original Mercedes scheme and while I love it, it’s hard to see in a distance....not really a problem...but it’s like a black dot flying around gorgeous close by....my T-1 is the Honda scheme.....extremely easy to see the scheme in the pattern.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:25 PM
BlueBus320

Default Thanks guys!

i have the mini Rockstar on its way. I could see myself getting a spare in a different scheme also if I start really liking this thing. Looks like a cool little plane.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:50 PM
camss69

i have the mini Rockstar on its way. I could see myself getting a spare in a different scheme also if I start really liking this thing. Looks like a cool little plane.
Congrats! Post pics when you get it!
Old 02-05-2019, 07:35 AM
BlueBus320

Thanks, will do
Old 02-08-2019, 05:51 PM
firehawkzach

So after installing my GPS unit tonight and reprogramming my radio I now have an intermittent JP controller for the LH main (ch3). Basically, the gear retracts fine but will not come down once it's up. Sometimes when I cycle the gear it will begin to operate correctly but as of right now I can guarantee if I retract the gear on the maiden the LH MLG will not come down. Not sure if I should send Dirk a note or just buy a Xicoy and be done with it. The only other way would be to build a Y-harness for the mains and connect both to channel 2 on the controller.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:56 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by firehawkzach
So after installing my GPS unit tonight and reprogramming my radio I now have an intermittent JP controller for the LH main (ch3). Basically, the gear retracts fine but will not come down once it's up. Sometimes when I cycle the gear it will begin to operate correctly but as of right now I can guarantee if I retract the gear on the maiden the LH MLG will not come down. Not sure if I should send Dirk a note or just buy a Xicoy and be done with it. The only other way would be to build a Y-harness for the mains and connect both to channel 2 on the controller.

dont do a y. The controller shuts off at a certain amperage. A y will double the amps and cause it to not function right.

have swapped the gear inputs to make sure the problem is not the retract itself? Controller might be fine
Old 02-08-2019, 07:54 PM
firehawkzach

Originally Posted by gunradd

dont do a y. The controller shuts off at a certain amperage. A y will double the amps and cause it to not function right.

have swapped the gear inputs to make sure the problem is not the retract itself? Controller might be fine
I ended up emailing Dirk and he called me an hour later or less. He mentioned that the factory may have tightened the screws too tight when they installed the retract which seems to have solved the issue for now. I will test it extensively tomorrow but I think this actually fixed it as I have loosened the screws and snugged them down slightly and it is working properly. He offered to send a new controller and if necessary I will have him do so. What an amazing guy! Pacific RC Jets rocks!
Old 02-08-2019, 08:35 PM
Tip22v

Check the clearance of the strut where the fuselage connects to the wing. My first mini did the same thing, turns out it was jamming up against the section where the wing connects to fuse, took a dremel and filed it down just hair and that fixed my problem. -Tom
Old 02-08-2019, 08:38 PM
firehawkzach

Check the clearance of the strut where the fuselage connects to the wing. My first mini did the same thing, turns out it was jamming up against the section where the wing connects to fuse, took a dremel and filed it down just hair and that fixed my problem. -Tom
Tom,

I'll certainly check that out and thank you for the heads up on that. I'm still blown away by the level of service from Dirk.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.