Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New Powerbox radio...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New Powerbox radio...

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 10:04 AM
David Gladwin

Received 141 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by digitech
Wow , so wat happended again when you flew a RC jet right thru a roof of a hangar?, was that with Patch antennas? or your great knowledge of Technical stuff?
No, that was long before 2. 4 ,1997, even you should know that. In 1997 I didn't know the difference between a patch aerial and a cabbage patch. It was a BVM T33 with drooped leading edges on the inboard section, later corrected after it was identified as the problem and cause of its spinning problem, which caused the loss of several other T33s as I was told at Wroughton. Later BVM T33s had that corrected, the cusp removed, to create a more progressive stall so that the root stalled first, a desirable characteristic on any aeroplane, model or full size. Ralph Ploenes experienced the same problem and fitted his T33 with "combs" on the root to try and improve matters.

After several inadvertent spins, despite the addition of root section stall strips and raised ailerons to create some washout on my T33 the flight on which it was lost, was , in any case , going to be its last. Too many inadvertent spins.

Aerodynamics and the theory of the causes spinning and autorotation are obviously not your forte!

Anytime you want to discuss spinning, the effects of the A/B ratios (My T33 had a high concentration of mass, a JPX plus stainless steel tank in the fuselage) and the of conservation of angular momentum on spin recovery give me a call !

Been there, done that on real jets, as an RAF QFI. No PhD, Bob Klenke , but a most thorough training at CFS where we put classroom theory into practice in the air.

D.

Last edited by David Gladwin; 09-26-2017 at 12:05 AM.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:17 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by David Gladwin
No, that was long before 2. 4 , even you should know that. It was a BVM T33 with drooped leading edges on the inboard section, later corrected after it was identified as the problem and cause of its spinning problem, which caused the loss of several T33 as I was told at Wroughton. Later BVM T33s had that corrected, to create a more progressive stall so that the root stalled first, a desirable characteristic on any aeroplane, model or full size.

After several inadvertent spins on my T33 the flight on which it was lost, was , in any case , going to be its last. Too many inadvertent spins.

Aerodynamicsand the theory of the causes spinning and autorotation are obviously not your forte!

Anytime you want to discuss spinning, the effects of the A/B ratios and the of conservation of angular momentum on spin recovery give me a call !

Been there, done that on real jets, as an RAF QFI.

D.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:04 PM
kimhey

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Gentlemen, I am following this thread in hopes of getting useful info. My 18mz will soon be retired, as I think it is out-dated. Sorry to once again see another thread getting cluttered with.....well you get my point I went off rcu for several months for this reason, only to return to see that nothing has changed;(

Last edited by kimhey; 09-25-2017 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Typing
Old 09-25-2017, 12:47 PM
c_makhija

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by kimhey
Gentlemen, I am following this thread in hopes of getting useful info. My 18mz will soon be retired, as I think it is out-dated. Sorry to once again see another thread getting cluttered with.....well you get my point I went off rcu for several months for this reason, only to return to see that nothing has changed;(
True.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:51 PM
c_makhija

Originally Posted by gapellegrini
For Jeti you need 2 x rx for dual redundancy and 2 x 2.4 rx and 1x rx 900 mhz for triple redundancy.
Thanks. Are you still on Futaba or have you moved to Jeti.
Is Jeti giving RF problem in Brazil too?

Chatty.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:10 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by kimhey
Oh, come on, there's always room for a little fun, isn't there?

I think that the Powerbox radio is very intriguing, especially given Powerbox's reputation for quality products that work well (most of the time).

Dual (or triple) RF links are also intriguing, but since I've never had a single issue with the RF link in my Futaba setups, its not intriguing enough for me to drop any coin on - at least not at this point.

That being said, for me, there's three points I consider. One, the Powerbox radio is complete vaporware at this point, so an in-depth discussion of its benefits, performance, etc. is moot. I'm sure it will be out at some point, but right now its not. Second, there is a LOT of software in that radio, and I can tell you from experience in developing flight controls and other digital electronic systems for UAVs, the software is THE THING. Personally, I don't have much interest in beta testing software for a radio manufacturer. I'd much prefer to let others do that and jump on the train after its traveled a mile or two. Third, I'd much rather have another airplane, turbine, etc. than a new radio if the old one works. I can't see what the transmitter looks like when I'm flying anyway, so if a new radio is as expensive (or almost so) as a new airplane, turbine, etc. I'm not that interested...

My opinions, YMMV...

Bob

Last edited by rhklenke; 09-25-2017 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:15 AM
gapellegrini

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by c_makhija
Thanks. Are you still on Futaba or have you moved to Jeti.
Is Jeti giving RF problem in Brazil too?

Chatty.
Moved to Jeti.

Jeti has a very solid link on my field according to my powerbox lost frames and antenna fades.

Also no Jeti lockouts on Brazil so far that I know of.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:40 AM
bem
My Feedback: (1)

Just curious: Did they show a working Core radio at JetPower 2017 fair, I mean did they have transmitter and receiver hooked up and servos connected so one could try it that way?

/Bo
Old 09-26-2017, 01:23 PM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by bem
Just curious: Did they show a working Core radio at JetPower 2017 fair, I mean did they have transmitter and receiver hooked up and servos connected so one could try it that way?

/Bo
Not that I saw. You just got to hold the transmitter and try out the sticks/switches.

By the way, when I mentioned to the guy in the picture that I was the owner of a BAT 60 radio, he just shrugged his shoulders, as if to say "too bad for you". Not much hope for those of us foolish enough to buy Weatronic.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20170916_113819.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	2233854  
Old 09-26-2017, 01:25 PM
fireblade5437

No, well not when I was at the stand on Friday and again on Saturday

Alan

Originally Posted by bem

/Bo
Old 10-15-2017, 09:11 AM
David Gladwin

Received 141 Likes on 90 Posts

Seems I am not the only one !

Weatronic patch antenna

This is a high efficiency hemispherical pattern 2.4 Ghz antenna available for the Gizmo receivers.

We have noticed a range increase of nearly 70% by using these antennas instead of the standard coax ones.Furthermore the hemispherical antenna reception pattern eliminates any risk of having a blind direction. Placing two of these antennas back to back enables a full spherical reception pattern with no weak areas. Just bare in mind that the usual masking rule still applies: the 2.4 Ghz signals can be masked by large metallic or conductive areas. So make sure to place your antennas away from carbon fiber/ aluminum/ conductive parts...
Old 10-15-2017, 09:54 PM
Jannica

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Does anyone know if old Weatronic recivers will be compatible with the new PowerBox radio?

Jannica in Sweden
Old 10-16-2017, 09:12 AM
nobbybasher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

as far as I am aware and going on what powerbox told me at jetpower, the new transmitter wont be compatable with weatronic receivers.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:39 AM
HarryC

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

PB Core is not compatible with Weatronic receivers, PB is making its own receivers and is considering a discount off its receivers for trading in Weatronic receivers.
Old 08-12-2018, 04:28 PM
felker14
My Feedback: (50)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default First hand use?

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
Leather, I think. Its a material, completely non slip.
It has 4096 bit resolution, you can see by the servo monitor bars that move so fast (more expo needed :-)
Four Rx's will be available at release, Satellite to 9 channel pwm type. There are no pots in this Tx. When there are updates available you can send them to the Rx's from the Tx...you don't have to remove them from the model to update!
It has 2 Tx batteries of 3.2Ah, it has like the PB units two circuits controlling the power supply. The Linux PC control allows a lot of adaptation, the display is clear in bright sunlight, colour changes to the display take seconds, so you can fine what works for your eyes! The screen buttons along the lower edge are easy and quick to use. Dual Tx aerials are incorporated, the system has built in redundancy...as you would expect from Powerbox

Its cool, we can't wait
Dave,
Being a long time Power Box dealer, have you tested / flown with this new radio system? Have you heard maybe if there going to have say intergrated Power Box / RX system? Of course its understood you can’t divulge all trade secrets. One or two would be nice.
Best regards
Kris

Last edited by felker14; 08-12-2018 at 04:30 PM. Reason: smart phone
Old 08-12-2018, 10:52 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

Kris

Yes, I am one of the lucky ones. Testing is in full flow with several pilots. At the JetCat meeting last weeking the Core was being flown in public. There are updates coming on-line thick and fast, so my radio is about to be updated to the latest software giving more functions. The results have been everything we all hoped, no issues on the operating system and available Rx's (7 and 9 channel).
If you look at the Powerbox Forum you will see lots of discussion about what is coming, but things like programming the PB units like the Mercury from the Tx (which makes some of my customers really happy as the Tx screen is super clear even in bright sunlight.
I have played with colour background and keep coming back to the orange, but like yellow and magenta too.
The way PB have approached the process is perfect, nothing is being rushed, each stage is structured.
JetPower is not far away and although the release will be a bit after, its going to be worth the wait.

Dave

Old 08-12-2018, 11:05 PM
Jannica

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Hello Dave.
What about a tray-type version of the Core transmitter? Is it coming later or not at all? Do you know?

Jannica
Sweden
Old 08-13-2018, 03:09 AM
Dave Wilshere

Originally Posted by Jannica
Hello Dave.
What about a tray-type version of the Core transmitter? Is it coming later or not at all? Do you know?

Jannica
Sweden
Jannica

Yes, you are covered too. Tray version at release. The cool thing is that the tray side bolt to the existing Tx design, so it can be converted either way easily by the end user.

Dave

Last edited by Dave Wilshere; 08-13-2018 at 03:18 AM.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:22 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

I've flown one as well. Very smooth and nice feeling radio. The screen is excellent. It's pretty much impossible to turn it on or off by accident and the sticks are something you really have to feel to appreciate. I'm very excited to see it with the full feature software.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:29 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Dave,

I think you got side-tracked in your thought above and did not finish.....

Will the Core have the ability to program other PB units (like the Mercury or Royale) from the Tx?

JanR
Old 08-13-2018, 09:21 PM
Dave Wilshere

JanR

Easily side tracked:-)
Richard said on the PB forum you will be able to tune Powerboxes from the Tx. I have not questioned him on that specifically,
but took it to mean program from.
Will ask the question directly. There are many features planned, whether it’s released with all I’m not sure. The capability is
almost endless

Dave
Old 08-14-2018, 04:28 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Not sure if this will post here or not but here goes
https://www.facebook.com/powerbox.sy...U5ofg8Pw0Eq4i8
Old 09-28-2018, 07:11 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I went to JetPower 2018 (this was my first time), mainly to touch and hold the new CORE. I loved the look of it immediately and must admit the Black version will get my vote.

After some reflection I have the following comments:
- it had no special helicopter functionally and to show and display it with only the basic airplane functions was a disappointment.
- some of the English translation was not complete, so understanding the workings were difficult (unless you were German capable)
- there were no sound options on display to check out
- it really need a central turn knob at the top as another control option
- the touch screen and smart phone likeness is fantastic
- the feel of balance with a neck strap was absolutely perfect and the transmitter met with my hands and fingers exactly where I was expecting it to
- the balance without any strap support is forward bias and I found it dropping onto the back of the screen handle rather easily
- apart from one PB telemetry sensor, there were no other sensors to try

I was ready to place my order before I went to JetPower , but have now decided to wait until the wider user market has tested the CORE and some telemetry developers have embraced and released their inventions - before I will part with my cash. Until then I will continue to use what I have.

Cheers,

JanR
Old 09-28-2018, 10:59 PM
HarryC

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

I handled it at Jet Power too and quite liked it, I will keep an eye on its development and give it serious consideration. However I won't buy it while it has the suede leather cover - it feels really good to hold but surely that will soon get dirty absorbing fuel, oil, sunblock and sweat, and then it will look bad and feel unpleasant?

Last edited by HarryC; 09-29-2018 at 01:53 AM.
Old 09-29-2018, 01:30 AM
Carsten Groen

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Springbok Flyer
I was ready to place my order before I went to JetPower , but have now decided to wait until the wider user market has tested the CORE and some telemetry developers have embraced and released their inventions - before I will part with my cash. Until then I will continue to use what I have.

Cheers,

JanR
Don't worry Jan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.