Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New Powerbox radio...

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New Powerbox radio...

Old 09-16-2017, 10:29 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Having more choices is great for the hobby!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Name:  fe3tk1.jpg
Views: 1772
Size:  4.4 KB
Old 09-16-2017, 09:07 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by David Gladwin
.......your choice, I have a more open, and inquisitive, mind. ( and a helluva a lot of experience than most on the Weatronics concept)

You are just like the guys who, at first, questioned my considerable enthusiasm for the, then, new Boeing FMC equipped airliners when I was one of the very first captains who converted to them back in 1986! They eventually realised the enormous and invaluable progress made !

DG.

DG.
Oh GEE, an ex airborne bus driver..... I'm impressed..... Does that make your opinion more valued that someone else's? I think not....

Oli was the importer/distributor for Weatronics in the USA, if he's not impressed, I'm certainly not going to take your word over his.....
Old 09-16-2017, 10:53 PM
bem
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First look (in German):

/Bo
Old 09-17-2017, 12:51 AM
Nige321

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeeb
Oh GEE, an ex airborne bus driver..... I'm impressed..... Does that make your opinion more valued that someone else's? I think not....

Oli was the importer/distributor for Weatronics in the USA, if he's not impressed, I'm certainly not going to take your word over his.....
Perhaps 'Oli' hasn't got the same open mind Mr Gladwin has.
Please, when in hole, stop digging...
Old 09-17-2017, 01:32 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I've never been too concerned with how a radio looks.. since when I'm using it, I'm looking at the airplane, not the radio. Very curious what this radio offers that others don't..
Old 09-17-2017, 04:18 AM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

So this radio is NOT Weatronic compatible? Is that true?
Old 09-17-2017, 04:36 AM
fireblade5437

I was talking with Richard at JP and his priority is obviously to get their own new Rx's done, if they do decide to to the firmware for the Micro Rx etc it will be a good while away, imo I don't think they ever will though.
So the answer to your question is 'True they are not compatible'

Alan

Originally Posted by ltc
So this radio is NOT Weatronic compatible? Is that true?

Last edited by fireblade5437; 09-17-2017 at 04:39 AM.
Old 09-17-2017, 03:26 PM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Erik van Dijen
Yes, Euro 2490,00
Erik.
Anyone know if that price include the European VAT? I think that is about 19% (?)
Old 09-17-2017, 07:40 PM
roger.alli

Originally Posted by fireblade5437
I was talking with Richard at JP and his priority is obviously to get their own new Rx's done, if they do decide to to the firmware for the Micro Rx etc it will be a good while away, imo I don't think they ever will though.
So the answer to your question is 'True they are not compatible'

Alan
That's not good news Alan.. Not what I wanted to hear at all.
I would have thought there was a significant number of Weatronic users in Germany, to kick start sales of this radio. Oh well. My 12x/DV4 will last a bit longer I guess. .
Old 09-17-2017, 10:02 PM
bem

Originally Posted by Edgar Perez
Anyone know if that price include the European VAT? I think that is about 19% (?)
Prices for consumer products are almost always with VAT in Europe. In Germany where Powerbox Systems reside VAT is 19% on most goods. I think most European countries has consumer law that require companies that sell to consumers must by law give price with VAT (at least that is the case in my country). To give price without VAT even at a fair if it is a mix of manufacturer. dealers and consumers. like at JetPower fair, is probably not forbidden but it make no sense to give price without VAT in this case since so many ordinary people (although from different parts of Europe mostly) visit a fair like this. At least to me I want to see prices with VAT even at a fair if consumers are welcome to a fair.

/Bo

Last edited by bem; 09-18-2017 at 02:36 AM.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:55 AM
hmjets

german video!

Old 09-18-2017, 02:43 AM
bem

Anyone know what material on both sides of transmitter, to hold the transmitter in the hand? Rubber?
/Bo
Old 09-18-2017, 03:40 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 732 Likes on 528 Posts

Leather, I think. Its a material, completely non slip.
It has 4096 bit resolution, you can see by the servo monitor bars that move so fast (more expo needed :-)
Four Rx's will be available at release, Satellite to 9 channel pwm type. There are no pots in this Tx. When there are updates available you can send them to the Rx's from the Tx...you don't have to remove them from the model to update!
It has 2 Tx batteries of 3.2Ah, it has like the PB units two circuits controlling the power supply. The Linux PC control allows a lot of adaptation, the display is clear in bright sunlight, colour changes to the display take seconds, so you can fine what works for your eyes! The screen buttons along the lower edge are easy and quick to use. Dual Tx aerials are incorporated, the system has built in redundancy...as you would expect from Powerbox

Its cool, we can't wait
Old 09-18-2017, 07:33 AM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bem
Prices for consumer products are almost always with VAT in Europe. In Germany where Powerbox Systems reside VAT is 19% on most goods. I think most European countries has consumer law that require companies that sell to consumers must by law give price with VAT (at least that is the case in my country). To give price without VAT even at a fair if it is a mix of manufacturer. dealers and consumers. like at JetPower fair, is probably not forbidden but it make no sense to give price without VAT in this case since so many ordinary people (although from different parts of Europe mostly) visit a fair like this. At least to me I want to see prices with VAT even at a fair if consumers are welcome to a fair.

/Bo
This is good news for those of us outside of Europe since the cost is actually ~2,092 EUR.
Still think its too high though...
Old 09-18-2017, 11:24 AM
fireblade5437

Yes I agree, but after playing with the set and knowing its RF heritage this set will sell, It really felt good to hold..I will be getting one at least I wont have to learn too much about programming it!
I still use my MX24s with DV4 module (wires internal in mounting pole) and also BAT60
Just got back from JetPower on my motorcycle even my wife commented the jets on show are getting larger!

Alan

Originally Posted by roger.alli
That's not good news Alan.. Not what I wanted to hear at all.
I would have thought there was a significant number of Weatronic users in Germany, to kick start sales of this radio. Oh well. My 12x/DV4 will last a bit longer I guess. .

Last edited by fireblade5437; 09-18-2017 at 11:29 AM.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:24 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeeb
HOLY CH*T!!

There are LOTS of radio systems out there today and Weatronic was not successful, nor I suspect will PowerBox be with a price tag like that for an unproven system.
Wrong!
The Weatronics system was, and is, technically superbly successful. It failed commercially because of the premature and tragic death of one of its major investors and the removal of support by his subsequent estate managers who had no interest in rc.

I have been using it since day one, because of its huge capability and technical competence., 4 transmitters inc. a BAT 60 and 15 receivers.

The release of the Weatronics system was as big a breakthrough in RC technology as was the introduction of glass cockpits, INS and IRS and FMCS in airliner cockpits, now the standard.

With the technical quality, marketing expertise and customer support of Powerbox, this radio will be a success for those of us who want the most capable system.

My order is in, and I will do an in depth, and honest, objective, assessment in due course.

If you see me flying it ( as you currently do with 12 X and tx module) on my valuable models it will have my full endorsement.
DG.
Wow David, you really, really like to promote the Weatronics systems...

FYI, Weatronics was NEVER commercially successful here in the USA because you could never get them, and if you did manage to somehow do so, you couldn't get support! Oh, and they were too pricey for what you got.

HarryC is right on - they are LATE to the party and since range is not a problem in any of the other systems out there, I doubt that they will ever generate anything other than a nich market - at least not in the US.

Time will tell. Powerbox products are good stuff though...

Bob
Old 09-18-2017, 12:59 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

For that price good luck. $2500US Good luck

And I love my IGyro 3E

Last edited by Desertlakesflying; 09-18-2017 at 01:04 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:37 PM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rhklenke

FYI, Weatronics was NEVER commercially successful here in the USA because you could never get them, and if you did manage to somehow do so, you couldn't get support! Oh, and they were too pricey for what you got.

Bob
Wrong. We had ( and still have, by the way ) a full stock of transmitters, receivers and accessories, including all the telemetry stuff and still un-matched ASSI compatibility.
Support was complete with tutorial videos , over 700 pages of documentation, including easy to use flow charts and complete written tutorials. Woody and Matt were on the deck, ready to answer customers queries on the spot.

It is still all here in our Remote Control section!

https://www.ultimate-jets.net/collec...emote-controls
Old 09-18-2017, 10:41 PM
Looping31

It's hard for me to ear someone promote Weatronic.
I had a bad experience with the Weatronic BAT60 for which I was one of the first customers and intensive flyer. And I'm not alone. We can't forget that Powerbox decided to drop the Weatronic BAT because it was impossible to rise this transmitter to a high end standard.
I crashed 2 big models (one 40% Nimbus 4 and a 1/6.8 Rafale) due to a quite rare but now established bug of the BAT (It seems that this problem has been solved after a safety update).
I had various serious bugs like large trim shifting and stuck system requiring a hard reset.
And finally, the sticks were scratching, the screen was bad quality and system very slow.
Hope PowerBox is saving the good things from Weatronic (maybe the RF link) and dropping all the fails.
Arnaud
Old 09-18-2017, 11:25 PM
David Gladwin

Received 141 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by rhklenke

HarryC is right on - they are LATE to the party and since range is not a problem in any of the other systems out there, I doubt that they will ever generate anything other than a nich market - at least not in the US.

Time will tell. Powerbox products are good stuff though...

Bob
Sorry, to be frank, you just don't get it!

My enthusiasm for Weatronics was not because I have or had any commercial connection but that I found it such a hugely capable system , even for the most complex applications such as my FC Mig 29, ( one of 12 fully equipped jets in my fleet, 10 of which have Weatronics systems, 2 with JR 28x) with its twin engines, multiple control servos for a fully flapped, TE, and dual LE wing, a hydraulic system plus backup pump. Flying it a couple of weeks ago, 4 perfect flights in a row, it's ready to go this weekend, one of the vey few FC Mig 29s to be completed and successfully flown . It made accurate set up of the flight controls very straightforward. In some aspects it is STILL way ahead of current radios, particularly its telemetrywhich allows me to make a detailed analysis of the inflight performance of the entire system, particularly RF and the dual batteries etc.,

I have been using RC equipment since single channel back in 1964, progressed through Fligh Link, PCS / Kraft, Sprengbrook, and all the top line JRs from Apex to 28x but the Weatronics was the biggest and most impressive advance I have seen.

Weatronics as a company is gone, period.

Having spoken about it to Emmerich Deutsch he told me they, Powerbox, were very impressed by it too, believing it to be the best, enough to buy the assets when Wea folded.

The new Powerbox radio has emerged from that Wea system and I believe they have enhanced the design philosophy further. They have some very capable electronic engineers at Powerbox and I very much look forward to the new radio, which will, its so obvious, be a niche market at that price. I wish it every success.

You are are wrong too, about Weatronics being overpriced, considering what the Gizmo DUAL rx. contained, upto 3 gyros , GPS, plus all regulators it was cheap. Similarly the Micro 12 with three integrated gyros, all fully programmable in a tiny box, was incredible value, and as Oli said the products and support were, and are, there.

Just my opinions, of course, but opinions based on a considerable amount of hands-on experience ( as well as the jets I fly two large sailplanes with Weatronics) with the equipment and not just second or third hand hearsay, or ill founded rumours from individuals who have no such experience.

I have been been asked to resume contributions to the "new" RCJI and when I receive my final production system I will review it in detail for the magazine.

David.
PS, I have a BAT 60 and fly it regularly in a glider, don't like the sticks, the screen is not visible in sunlight,( Powerbox have fixed that) but never discovered any bugs in the software. Not Weatronic's best design, but in many ways still a very powerful tx. Sorry about the loss, but even in the best electronics, avionics, sometimes there are undiscovered bugs, ( until .......) as we know from the fullsize aviation world.

Last edited by David Gladwin; 09-18-2017 at 11:51 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:40 PM
Looping31

Sorry, to be frank, you just don't get it!

I have been been asked to resume contributions to the "new" RCJI and when I receive my final production system I will review it in detail for the magazine.

David.
I would have preferred RCJI choose a more impartial and objective contributor. In my point of view (intensive flyer), Weatronic BAT60 was not technically successful.
Read my post above and previous threads from others concerning BAT60/64 problems.
Please don't be blind...
Arnaud
Old 09-19-2017, 12:07 AM
David Gladwin

Originally Posted by Looping31
I would have preferred RCJI choose a more impartial and objective contributor. In my point of view (intensive flyer), Weatronic BAT60 was not technically successful.
Read my post above and previous threads from others concerning BAT60/64 problems.
Please don't be blind...

Arnaud
Far, very far, from blind, it will be VERY objective.

The most objective, and constructive, approach I can consider is to FLY the system in my most complex and expensive jets and sailplanes. I will be doing just that.

Perhaps you should buy a Core and give us YOUR opinions !

I have done one quite a few reviews for RCJI. Almost all of the subjects I have reviewed were purchased by myself because of, after careful consideration, their quality and suitability for purpose. So far as Jeti is concerned, I hold it in very high regard after a demo from Harry C. and after the demise of Weatronic I would have moved to it to compliment my 28x

I have already started to use Jeti Lithium Ions in most of my fleet.

Emmerich is is going to keep me updated on progress so I will report later FACTS, not hearsay or baseless opinions.

Delivery before next Jet. Power.

D .

Last edited by David Gladwin; 09-19-2017 at 08:09 AM.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:08 AM
David Gladwin

Sorry double post.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:38 AM
siclick33

In some aspects it is STILL way ahead of current radios, particularly its telemetrywhich allows me to make a detailed analysis of the inflight performance of the entire system, particularly RF and the dual batteries etc.,
Jeti is also able to do this.

IMO the support for Weatronics was there at the end but it was too late. Weatronics was around before the BAT60 and I (and presumably many others) had already given up on them by the time that came out. Powerbox has a strong brand and excellent support so this shouldn't be an issue; the only question is whether the CORE is enough of a step up over the Jeti for people who have changed radios in the meantime to swap again. I might have swapped my Futaba for Powerbox but I'm currently happy with my Jeti so there is no need for me to change.

I am sure many of those still using Futaba and JR will make the jump as both of those seem to be lagging behind at the moment.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:05 AM
c_makhija

love all powerbox products, Emmerich and Richard have been great to deal with over the years. On the other hand heard great things about Jeti too.
My ageing 12x will be due for and upgrade soon, big question is CORE or DS24.

Guys who have held both Txs and preferences? Ergonomics, screen clarity, user friendly programming?

No war please, sure both Txs will be top notch.

Chatty.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.