Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New Powerbox radio...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New Powerbox radio...

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 04:30 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by siclick33
Jeti is also able to do this.

IMO the support for Weatronics was there at the end but it was too late. Weatronics was around before the BAT60 and I (and presumably many others) had already given up on them by the time that came out. Powerbox has a strong brand and excellent support so this shouldn't be an issue; the only question is whether the CORE is enough of a step up over the Jeti for people who have changed radios in the meantime to swap again. I might have swapped my Futaba for Powerbox but I'm currently happy with my Jeti so there is no need for me to change.

I am sure many of those still using Futaba and JR will make the jump as both of those seem to be lagging behind at the moment.
Bingo! My experience as well...

Bob
Old 09-19-2017, 06:52 AM
RemoteJets

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

And yes, the given price € 2490,-- is with VAT.
Expected delivery if I recall it correctle somewhere mid 2018.

Grtz,
Berto.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:56 PM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by c_makhija
love all powerbox products, Emmerich and Richard have been great to deal with over the years. On the other hand heard great things about Jeti too.
My ageing 12x will be due for and upgrade soon, big question is CORE or DS24.

Guys who have held both Txs and preferences? Ergonomics, screen clarity, user friendly programming?

No war please, sure both Txs will be top notch.

Chatty.
It's too early to say in terms of software.
The Core transmitter shown at JP was a prototype and only had a few pages on its OS.
The screen is bigger than the DS/DC 24 system and is touch. However, I found brightness/ readability to be the same.

I have started playing with the triple redundancy in 900 mhz of the 24 and I must say that I am very impressed. This is a significant safety upgrade from the few dual band rc systems available on the market ( Weatronic, Multiplex m-link DR ). Not even talking about the single band systems like Futaba or JR.
On UAVs with large carbon fiber structures, the signal penetration is much better than any other system. Range is more than double than any other system.

To me, the safety offered by the 900 Mhz backup channel is worth the investment in itself.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:24 PM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

It's also notable that they are committing to open sourcing drivers for telemetry and some extensions, so we won't depend on the manufacturer to enable a great third party ecosystem on peripherals and telemetry sensors. The "big" manufacturers can't be bothered to listen to users .. Jeti seems to, and I am sure PB will given their excellent support track record.

Dave
Old 09-19-2017, 09:22 PM
c_makhija

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by olnico
The Core transmitter shown at JP was a prototype and only had a few pages on its OS.
The screen is bigger than the DS/DC 24 system and is touch. However, I found brightness/ readability to be the same.

I have started playing with the triple redundancy in 900 mhz of the 24 and I must say that I am very impressed. This is a significant safety upgrade from the few dual band rc systems available on the market ( Weatronic, Multiplex m-link DR ). Not even talking about the single band systems like Futaba or JR.
On UAVs with large carbon fiber structures, the signal penetration is much better than any other system. Range is more than double than any other system.

To me, the safety offered by the 900 Mhz backup channel is worth the investment in itself.
Thanks Oli.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:35 AM
jescardin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

-Triple redundacy.
-Satellite receivers.

Are those for greater security or simply due they not get an enough robust link in just the 2.4Ghz band as several other brands got many years ago?.

There are always at least 2 ways of understanding such "improvements", aren´t they?.

Best Regards.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:41 PM
hmjets

spot on Jesus cardin,lol!!
Old 09-20-2017, 05:26 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 330 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by olnico

Thanks for this info Oli. This is the exact reason that I pre-ordered a DS-24. My 18MZ has been left in the dust by Futaba who seem to have no interest in the safety improvements available. I had no way to verify the information but it seemed to make sense to my non engineering brain based on what I read. Thanks again.

Gary

Last edited by Viper1GJ; 09-20-2017 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:42 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jescardin
-Triple redundacy.
-Satellite receivers.

Are those for greater security or simply due they not get an enough robust link in just the 2.4Ghz band as several other brands got many years ago?.

There are always at least 2 ways of understanding such "improvements", aren´t they?.

Best Regards.
Must admit, I get your point. I have never (since 2009) had a problem with lost signal or range on my Futaba 18MZ. But I have witnessed mates of mine have those problems, using radio systems with satellite receivers and/or dual Tx antennas. Perhaps that is exactly why these manufacturers are trying to impress us with all this redundancy - only to improve their own system inadequacies.

However, having said that. I will also admit that my patience with Futaba and it's complete disregard for what it's loyal modellers are requiring is pushing me slowly but surely towards one of the latest systems. I doubt that it will be Jeti (simply don't like the look and feel if it), but the PB Core could be it. I will wait and watch (while I continue to pray for the next new top-of-the-range Futaba miracle).

Cheers,

Jan
Old 09-21-2017, 05:23 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Springbok Flyer
Must admit, I get your point. I have never (since 2009) had a problem with lost signal or range on my Futaba 18MZ. But I have witnessed mates of mine have those problems, using radio systems with satellite receivers and/or dual Tx antennas. Perhaps that is exactly why these manufacturers are trying to impress us with all this redundancy - only to improve their own system inadequacies.

However, having said that. I will also admit that my patience with Futaba and it's complete disregard for what it's loyal modellers are requiring is pushing me slowly but surely towards one of the latest systems. I doubt that it will be Jeti (simply don't like the look and feel if it), but the PB Core could be it. I will wait and watch (while I continue to pray for the next new top-of-the-range Futaba miracle).

Cheers,

Jan
I saw the new Futaba 16SZ last weekend. It looks really nice and the $700 price tag is hard to beat...

Bob
Old 09-21-2017, 06:18 AM
Esprit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also unless I am mistaken it has the 18SZ software so a full 18 channels.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:30 AM
jescardin

Cheers,

Jan
Just curious, Jan:

What are you requiring from a modern up to date radio? This question is simply due I hear it very frequently and I am afraid perhaps it is me who is becoming oldminded about radios and the hobby.

Thanks and Best Regards!
Old 09-21-2017, 07:54 AM
ZB

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Just curious, Jan:

What are you requiring from a modern up to date radio? This question is simply due I hear it very frequently and I am afraid perhaps it is me who is becoming oldminded about radios and the hobby.

Thanks and Best Regards!
Example:
Automated Telemetry Functions
Wireless Sensor and Receiver Programming
Full Data Logging
Data Analytics
Full Third Party Integration (ECU Wireless Link)
Telemetry Alarms
Full Line of Sensors (Air Pressure, Fuel Flow, Speed, V/A/mAh Capacity....)
Old 09-21-2017, 08:21 AM
Jack Diaz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jan, my friend ..
You don't realize what darkness is until you see the light !!!
Old 09-21-2017, 01:44 PM
RC_MAN
My Feedback: (11)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

How about wireless servos that communicate with the on board receiver. Or better yet a servo receiver as one unit. No messy wires
Old 09-21-2017, 01:46 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Diaz
Jan, my friend ..
You don't realize what darkness is until you see the light !!!
Jack,

As always, I value your opinion - but in this case I recognise the light, just want Futaba to give It to me....LOL.

Cheers,

Jan
Old 09-21-2017, 11:07 PM
jescardin

Originally Posted by ZB
Example:
Automated Telemetry Functions
Wireless Sensor and Receiver Programming
Full Data Logging
Data Analytics
Full Third Party Integration (ECU Wireless Link)
Telemetry Alarms
Full Line of Sensors (Air Pressure, Fuel Flow, Speed, V/A/mAh Capacity....)
Automated Telemetry Functions. OK, I see it and agree!
Wireless Sensor and Receiver Programming What do you need to program on a sensor and, mainly, in a receiver?
Full Data Logging Already exists on many transmitter brands, even chinese radios.
Data Analytics Already exists with data from point above.
Full Third Party Integration (ECU Wireless Link) Very dangerous. I know of a very respected company which advertises top line articles as compatible with a main brand receiver and that is totally untrue.
Telemetry Alarms Already exists on most telemetry radios
Full Line of Sensors (Air Pressure, Fuel Flow, Speed, V/A/mAh Capacity....) Except Fuel Flow sensor I know all other already exist on most radio brands.

"ZB" from all your sugestions I only buy to connect telemetry data with functions, something I know "Open Tx" radio may do but as I do not like harware on those transmitters nor I feel the software robust enough I do not mind them.

Regarding sensor and receiver programming, as per today I have not needed it but I should agree if may find a reason for such operations.

Finally Full Third Party Integration should be great but think it interferes with companies marketing policies as if radio manufacturer also produces sensor, why are they going to disclose data comunication details for other companies producing the same sensors and making them losing sales?

Also from my experience ALL companies which offer accessories -from receivers to sensors and power units- fully compatibles with major brands not always are saying the true, as not for all brands they get the genuine comunication protocol details and just a little change from the main brand make the article unsafe, as I personally know happened with FUTABA when there was a legal 2.4GHz change in Europe and when they started selling S.BUS/S.BUS2 receivers.

In that type of situation who might be considered culprit, the liar company or the main brand?

Thanks and Best Regards for your opinion.

Last edited by jescardin; 09-21-2017 at 11:12 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:20 AM
gapellegrini

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cheers,

Jan
I flew Futaba 18MZ for many years. I had 2 very painful lockouts in one year. The least expensive and painful was an Ultra Bandit one year ago. After the UB I said to myself from now on will fly only dual rx with Powerbox and antennas outside of plane. I did that for one year and lockout again. The second one had setup above antennas outside was very close like 250 meters. Crashed. Powerbox survived, batteries were ok. Everything were ok. So very much likely a RF problem. About the UB lockout could be many other things other than RF problem but some guys with other brands had lockouts on same side and same day and made it back to field. So probably was a 2.4 polluted environment.

After the UB crash I got paranoid reading lost frames and antenna fades on Powerbox. If you fly futaba and put antennas outside of the plane these will be drastically lower. I recommend to everyone to do that. Emmerich from Powerbox usually recommends to at the field when he sees high antenna fades.

I would be considering the Core if were on the market when I gave up Futaba. Although I think the Core is a good competition for the Ds-16. Not the Ds-24. I value RF more than anything else on a radio and I really like the 900 mhz feature.

I'm flying Jeti for 3 months with Powerbox on a plane and I have yet to see a antenna fade or lost frame on Powerbox. Zero in all flights. With my 18mz antennas outside was 10-100 antenna fades. Spektrum flying on same field has 100-200 on each satellite. Not sure if this is a good measure of RF link quality. Maybe someone that knows about it can join the conversation.

More and more stuff is using 2.4. Just search on ebay 2.4 antennas and see for yourself. Don't wait until you lose your best plane until you get a safer technology.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:49 AM
David Gladwin

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

The RF system of the Powerbox Core is based on the Weatronics system. Hundreds of flights with this kit, on my jets and no doubt thousands world wide, and analysis of the down-linked data shows it to be incredibly robust. No frame losses, failsafe, holds etc., nothing but a rock solid link.

Those of my jets with Gizmo receivers, all have high gain patch antennae, which even further enhances received RF signal strength.

2.4 Ghz patch antennae are cheap, and very effective, don't know why more manufacturers, inc Jeti, don't use them !

David G.

Last edited by David Gladwin; 09-22-2017 at 04:51 AM.
Old 09-22-2017, 05:23 AM
philjac94

Because they (Jeti) use something better, it's called an Rsat2, the cheapness of a patch antenna but better flexibility being able to connect telemetry and or any of the Power Bus systems Jeti use (CB100, 200, 400)together and throughout the airframe as needed, each one is full range equivalent to any of the full size rx's in their lineup. The USA, while not able to use Rsat2 use the R3 (also full range) instead and get the benefit of channels in remote places...well anywhere they may place the R3.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:09 AM
Carsten Groen

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by David Gladwin
The RF system of the Powerbox Core is based on the Weatronics system. Hundreds of flights with this kit, on my jets and no doubt thousands world wide, and analysis of the down-linked data shows it to be incredibly robust. No frame losses, failsafe, holds etc., nothing but a rock solid link.

Those of my jets with Gizmo receivers, all have high gain patch antennae, which even further enhances received RF signal strength.

2.4 Ghz patch antennae are cheap, and very effective, don't know why more manufacturers, inc Jeti, don't use them !

David G.
Same can be said about Futaba ?
In this case, 100% link quality for the whole flight...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	2233086  
Old 09-22-2017, 07:12 AM
ZB

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Automated Telemetry Functions. OK, I see it and agree!
Wireless Sensor and Receiver Programming What do you need to program on a sensor and, mainly, in a receiver?
Full Data Logging Already exists on many transmitter brands, even chinese radios.
Data Analytics Already exists with data from point above.
Full Third Party Integration (ECU Wireless Link) Very dangerous. I know of a very respected company which advertises top line articles as compatible with a main brand receiver and that is totally untrue.
Telemetry Alarms Already exists on most telemetry radios
Full Line of Sensors (Air Pressure, Fuel Flow, Speed, V/A/mAh Capacity....) Except Fuel Flow sensor I know all other already exist on most radio brands.

Thanks and Best Regards for your opinion.
This video will shop you where the development is heading, if you do not have in 21st. century integrated system you are BlackBerry. I hope you still remember how the company ended up.

This also explains why the PowerBox has to move to they own system. My prediction is that they do just fine as long as they keep innovating. Unfortunately it looks like that the big guys have no chance in high end market.

If you have more question about Jeti system, I would suggest go the any of the other forums.

Zb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SasMFRRl6rU&t=15s

Last edited by ZB; 09-22-2017 at 07:31 AM.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:52 AM
David Gladwin

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by philjac94
Because they (Jeti) use something better, it's called an Rsat2, the cheapness of a patch antenna but better flexibility being able to connect telemetry and or any of the Power Bus systems Jeti use (CB100, 200, 400)together and throughout the airframe as needed, each one is full range equivalent to any of the full size rx's in their lineup. The USA, while not able to use Rsat2 use the R3 (also full range) instead and get the benefit of channels in remote places...well anywhere they may place the R3.
Thanks for that Phil, but I thought the Jeti Rsat was an complete remote receiver still using mini whip antennae. Cost is 60 pounds in UK.

Need to to talk more about this with Harry C, a converted Jeti user !

The patch antennae I use are just that, patch aerials coupled plugged directly into the dual receiver unit, replacing the "whips".

David G.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:53 AM
gapellegrini

Originally Posted by David Gladwin

David G.
I'm pretty sure that Weatronics RF is very reliable. I have read tons of posts about it. I'm also pretty sure that Core RF will be great too.

Jeti uses patch antennas on 900 mhz.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:55 AM
gapellegrini

Originally Posted by Carsten Groen
Same can be said about Futaba ?
In this case, 100% link quality for the whole flight...

Carsten,

I never had a flight with Futaba and 0 antenna fades and 0 lost frames on my powerbox. I did check at least 100 times since I started to have lockouts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.