Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

CARF Joker build thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

CARF Joker build thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 10:21 PM
kekelala

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I really like that scheme and regretted instantly the moment you posted the photo of her. But at least I get to see her here
Old 01-25-2019, 04:54 PM
kevin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Ok, so now the battery tray is actually done 😃
Old 01-25-2019, 06:27 PM
kekelala

looks awesome, Kevin
Old 01-26-2019, 07:24 AM
Saillfish
My Feedback: (17)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hopper tank

Has anyone used the stock header tank that came with the PNP?
Old 01-26-2019, 08:44 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

It's a well used CARF item and I have seen quite a few used in Germany (Where I guess they can be bothered to assemble them!) Better than some of the after market units sold today...

Dave
Old 01-26-2019, 12:28 PM
Saillfish

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
It's a well used CARF item and I have seen quite a few used in Germany (Where I guess they can be bothered to assemble them!) Better than some of the after market units sold today...

Dave
OK thanks Just did not see any of them in pictures in this build thead
Old 01-26-2019, 03:08 PM
Dave Wilshere

99% of jets built use off the shelf units, I use nothing but the MAP Canada bubble traps as I feel they are the best on the market. Many people buy on appearance! Strange choice in my opinion for such an important element in our jets.
Old 01-26-2019, 03:15 PM
kekelala

I think the importance is it should at least have a sock (or felt) over the mesh filter inside the UAT and the seals that seals the UAT do not fail prematurely causing a leak of fuel (and air).
Old 01-27-2019, 12:20 AM
Dave Wilshere

A pick up with surface area is the most important thing in a hopper tank, so felt and sintered cylinders don’t really cut it in this case. I’ve seen both blocked almost completely.
Joints is another thing, the multi-part machined body versions are full of joints, so lots of potential leaks from the assembly and fittings.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:05 PM
kekelala

Good morning.

@Dave - good point!

Dear guys, any input of weight of your beloved Joker for reference?

Mine weighs 7.425kg dry with batteries and 9.1kg fuel UAT and main tank with KT K85G turbine.

Have a great day ahead!

kekelala
Old 01-29-2019, 09:06 PM
Saillfish

Default Tail pipe and turbine going in

Installed the tailpipe and turbine tonight Went ahead and did a heat shield above the pipe. Adds no weight. Raised the turbine 1/4 inch as previous pictures showed. Needs it to center the turbine. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:44 PM
Saillfish

Default Joker

Another thing I found tonight 3 cuts in the nose gear wires. It was neatly stored and tie wrapped Going to have to completely replace that wire. No I did not cut them. It was a bread tie.
Also I had to make my own carbon fiber bell mounts even though the instructions say they are included
Old 01-30-2019, 04:33 AM
Tom ling

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi everyone, I’m looking at buying a Joker, I have an Xcalibur at the moment and I’m wondering to keep it and save up for a while to get a joker as well, or just sell the Xcalibur and take the Rx and Wren 100 out of it. I’m just thinking when the weather is right and I take the jet I don’t want the Xcalibur to just sit at home (can’t fit two jets in the work van) Iv been told this is a great follow on jet from the Xcalibur, what do people think, just sell the Xcalibur to fund the joker or keep it and wait till I can afford both?
Thansk for any inputs, Tom.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:15 AM
Saillfish

Originally Posted by Tom ling
Hi everyone, I’m looking at buying a Joker, I have an Xcalibur at the moment and I’m wondering to keep it and save up for a while to get a joker as well, or just sell the Xcalibur and take the Rx and Wren 100 out of it. I’m just thinking when the weather is right and I take the jet I don’t want the Xcalibur to just sit at home (can’t fit two jets in the work van) Iv been told this is a great follow on jet from the Xcalibur, what do people think, just sell the Xcalibur to fund the joker or keep it and wait till I can afford both?
Own both. How can you only have 1 airplane That's un American
Old 01-30-2019, 09:06 AM
Dave Wilshere

Tom

The Joker is perfect as a follow on. If you have got everything out of the Xcalibur as far as learning, the Joker will take you to the next stage.

Dave
Old 01-30-2019, 05:11 PM
kekelala

Hi Tom

IMO keep the Excalibur and save up for a Joker. If you start selling the old planes definitely it’s gonna be a “lost” because of the high depreciation.

But if you have 2 jets, you can regulate both on alternate flight days and if one engine goes for routine service, you still have one to keep flying.

Kekelala
Old 01-31-2019, 06:14 AM
Saillfish

Default Joker

How does this not burn the airframe being push up so high making full contact with the top of the fuselage?
Old 01-31-2019, 06:25 AM
Dave Wilshere

That's the idea of the 'cool' wall. The outer tube has air moving between it and the tailpipe the whole time the turbine runs, so the outer Alloy tube does not get so hot as to cause an issue
Old 02-01-2019, 09:27 AM
Tom ling

Kekelala that does make good sense to be fair, but Iv just got a funny feeling that when I get a chance to go flying I think il be taking the Joker with the other prop models. Dave I think your right mate. Il wait until Iv got “bored” of the Xcalibur and then sell it and buy a joker, the Xcalibur is a fantastic model. But looking forward to getting something a little faster and more sport “scale” looking. This thread is great for my confidence to buy a joker. They look ace. And yet seem nicely dosile to land.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:37 PM
pcskyhi

The Joker is my first turbine jet. I am coming from edf jets. I am buddy boxing with an experienced turbine pilot. From my experiences thus far the Joker is a smooth flying airframe. The Joker tracks straight down the runway on takeoff and the recommended cg seems to be working for me. When I did the cg I put some fuel in the main tank. when flying inverted I do use a little down elevator. Landing is something I have very little experience with on the Joker. I have 16 flights on the Joker thus far and have landed it the last four flights. The first one I was terrified and wonder how it even happened (blessed). My friend/instructor claims I did not inform him before making the landing so I guess I got away with one. The last three landings my friend/instructor talked me through and those landings were some of the best I ever had with any airplane. I still have quite a ways to go because when I am not being talked through the landings I still have some issues.

I say all this to make the point that the Joker has been a great first turbine aircraft thus far so I don't see why it would not be an even better second turbine aircraft.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:35 PM
jcterrettaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

looking forward and exited to finally to fly mine after the winter , its a very cool jet ..
Old 02-01-2019, 08:56 PM
kekelala

Great to hear more great stories about the plane. Mine’s done up a month ago but yet maiden her due to one of the retracts actuator being burnt.

Still waiting for the new parts to come.

Kekelala
Old 02-02-2019, 04:34 AM
Tom ling

Great to here people are happy with the Joker, I think my mind is made up to buy one. Thanks for the replys.

I hope you manage to get yours flying soon mate.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:58 PM
Saillfish

Default Joker

Has anyone peeled off rhe black strip down the fuselage sides that has joker on it. Seems to be a decal But can't tell if it is and if it is clear coated.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:02 PM
Dave Wilshere

It is a decal and it won’t be clear coated. Warm it and it should peel off...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.