Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Pilot-rc PREDATOR 2.2m Sport jet / full composite

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Pilot-rc PREDATOR 2.2m Sport jet / full composite

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 12:18 PM
MikePS

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Where can I order the 4 in 1 MPX style connector? Chief didn't have that in stock...
Old 10-15-2018, 06:02 PM
Pilot-RC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MikePS
Where can I order the 4 in 1 MPX style connector? Chief didn't have that in stock...
email me to order it. my email is [email protected]
thanks
Old 10-18-2018, 06:08 PM
kalps108

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi,

i am a beginner. do you think a K160 is too powerful for the jet? i cant makeup my mind a K160 or K140

thanks
Old 10-18-2018, 09:00 PM
Mart (Ham)

I’m going with a 160 but I’m sure a 140 would be fine..
Old 10-19-2018, 02:19 AM
dccatl
My Feedback: (1)

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kalps108
hi,

i am a beginner. do you think a K160 is too powerful for the jet? i cant makeup my mind a K160 or K140

thanks
160 is definitely not too much, even for a beginner.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:55 PM
nigefay

Ok so got a couple of flights on my Predator now and generally loving it! Flies really great. My only concern is with the quality of the retracts and I wondered how everyone else was doing?
After two good landings - 10 out of 10 in my book I have one brake dragging, and one strut compressed but did not fully decompress without a fair bit of pressure. Wondering if I need to think about a set of pro-link to upgrade or if it’s a bit premature. Interested to hear any one else’s experience? Thx
Old 10-20-2018, 03:09 AM
dccatl

Originally Posted by nigefay
...My only concern is with the quality of the retracts and I wondered how everyone else was doing?
... Interested to hear any one else’s experience? Thx
FWIW, I have 27 flights on mine and no issues with the gear or brakes, time will tell I guess.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:06 AM
shepga

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine shipped from the factory last Wednesday. Suppose it will arrive next week some time. Looking forward to the assembly. How much elevator trim/mix are you guys using with full flap and more importantly is it down elevator or up elevator?
Old 10-20-2018, 04:21 PM
Agrav8ed

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Which servo's are you guys using in your 's to use on this Predator? I am hesitant to use the pilot servo's since I do not know who makes them and I am not sure which servo's to use other than over 20kg. I plan to use a I gyro or a Aura 8 for stabilization.
Thanks,
Tone
Old 10-21-2018, 04:08 AM
dccatl

Originally Posted by Agrav8ed
Which servo's are you guys using in your 's to use on this Predator? I am hesitant to use the pilot servo's since I do not know who makes them and I am not sure which servo's to use other than over 20kg. I plan to use a I gyro or a Aura 8 for stabilization.
Thanks,
Tone
I'm using these.
ProModeler - 470oz-in, Std, BLS #DS470BLHV
I have about 30 flights on my Predator and have had no issues. I have an earlier version of this servo in my fly-model Navy Cat and they've performed flawlessly for over 150 flights. They're fast, strong, quiet, center great and reasonably priced. The owner, John Beech provides excellent, personalized, customer support and they're assembled in the USA, you can't go wrong with these servos IMHO.

David
Old 10-21-2018, 05:09 AM
MikePS

Ok so got a couple of flights on my Predator now and generally loving it! Flies really great. My only concern is with the quality of the retracts and I wondered how everyone else was doing?
After two good landings - 10 out of 10 in my book I have one brake dragging, and one strut compressed but did not fully decompress without a fair bit of pressure. Wondering if I need to think about a set of pro-link to upgrade or if it’s a bit premature. Interested to hear any one else’s experience? Thx
curious about your setup, auw?
Old 10-21-2018, 06:20 AM
why_fly_high
My Feedback: (19)

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Thtough some digging it appears the Pilot Servos are made by Savox. I ordered turbine ready with the servos so we will see.

Thanks,
Tone
Old 10-21-2018, 07:11 AM
DHC6
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Servos

I’ve been using the Pilot servos that came with the turbine ready thrust vectoring version. I have about 75 -100 flights so far and no problems at all. Has been my most reliable plane all summer.

Old 10-21-2018, 11:00 AM
Agrav8ed

Originally Posted by why_fly_high
Thtough some digging it appears the Pilot Servos are made by Savox. I ordered turbine ready with the servos so we will see.

I had also heard that they were made by Futaba, there is no guarrantee and hence my skepticism.
Thanks,
Tone
Old 10-21-2018, 11:43 AM
why_fly_high

I had also heard that they were made by Futaba, there is no guarrantee and hence my skepticism.
Thanks,
Tone
Using google, checking specs, and digging in to forums I became certain they are Savox. That’s why I went ahead and ordered turbine ready.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:13 AM
nigefay

Originally Posted by MikePS
curious about your setup, auw?
Running an Evo booster 160, no smoke tank yet, will check my auw and post.
I worked a bit on the retracts over the weekend and they seem to be better, just loosened the bolts on the tight wheel a little and threadlicked them back in, seems to have worked. As far as the ole is go I just used some Teflon spray and kept working them so we’ll see how it goes.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:20 AM
MikePS

Running an Evo booster 160, no smoke tank yet, will check my auw and post.
I worked a bit on the retracts over the weekend and they seem to be better, just loosened the bolts on the tight wheel a little and threadlicked them back in, seems to have worked. As far as the ole is go I just used some Teflon spray and kept working them so we’ll see how it goes.
Thanks...
Old 10-23-2018, 10:32 AM
fishface5

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I fly mine with a k180 and it works great
Old 10-24-2018, 03:01 AM
fo36cabriolet
My Feedback: (13)

Can someone confirm that the smallest size available with thrust vectoring is the 2.2 m? Thanks in advance!
Old 10-24-2018, 07:14 AM
Pilot-RC

Originally Posted by fo36cabriolet
Can someone confirm that the smallest size available with thrust vectoring is the 2.2 m? Thanks in advance!
yes. 1.8m predator can not install the vector thrust. it is a little difficult. becase the fuselage is too small.
Old 10-24-2018, 07:24 AM
Pilot-RC

I am sorry that I can not tell who build the servo for me. but I can tell my servo was built in Taiwan. ^-^
Old 10-24-2018, 09:46 AM
fo36cabriolet
My Feedback: (13)

Originally Posted by Pilot-RC
yes. 1.8m predator can not install the vector thrust. it is a little difficult. becase the fuselage is too small.
thanks!
Old 10-26-2018, 10:12 AM
why_fly_high

Default Mine is getting close!

I got pictures from Tony today. I am getting excited. I have always loved the McLaren scheme so I asked Pilot to do that one for me. Merry Christmas to me!
Old 10-27-2018, 07:06 AM
Agrav8ed

Since this is my first turbine I a few questions:
1. What size turbine 120, 140, or 170?
2. Will this thing really fly on an 80n to 300n? Wouldn't 300 be serious overkill?
3. The manual shows double control horns on surfaces, but I have seen pics of singles. Which is it?
4. Which gyro, the Igyro 3e or the Aura 8?
5. Anyone notice any coupling tendencies during flight?
6. Does this jet come with the heat shielding to protect the wires or must it be purchased separately? If so then where?
7. Does all of the fuel tubing come with the kit?
8. What type of clunk is used? Is it tygon or Viton
9. I anyone using anything else other than the MPX connector shown earlier in this thread?
10. Has anyone used larger tires for the mains?
I was informed that when this jet stalls, it happens quickly. Is this the general consensus that other s have experienced? Thanks for all your help.
Tone
Old 10-27-2018, 08:30 AM
DHC6
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since this is my first turbine I a few questions:
1. What size turbine 120, 140, or 170?

I fly mine with a 140 (Cheetah 140, so more like a 150) and I find it perfect. No residual thrust to deal with on landing, and plenty of power for pretty much unlimited vertical. I can even get it to hover a few seconds. I also fly off of grass and the 140 is plenty.

2. Will this thing really fly on an 80n to 300n? Wouldn't 300 be serious overkill?

If you are flying off of grass I wouldn’t go anything less then a 120. It will fly fine on an 80 or 100. Just need to manage your energy better. I think a 140-160 is perfect, especially if it’s your 1st jet. If your into flying 3D then you will need a 180 or larger, I think a 220 would be good. A 300? If your experienced and that’s the type of flying you want, then a 300 will do as well. Just be very careful when going full power.

3. The manual shows double control horns on surfaces, but I have seen pics of singles. Which is it?

I think this might be down to which production run, mine has double.

4. Which gyro, the Igyro 3e or the Aura 8?

I am sure either one will do just fine, I fly mine with a 3e with the GPS sensor for auto gain adjustment.

5. Anyone notice any coupling tendencies during flight?

Coupling tendancies are fairly minimal, mine are probably due to where I have my CG set, but knife edge is very good. However the Version 2 has a larger vertical stab which I thought was a good idea. Vertical stand on version one could stand to be a little larger.

6. Does this jet come with the heat shielding to protect the wires or must it be purchased separately? If so then where?

no heat shielding needed. Double wall thrust tube does a good job, unless you go with a 300, then you may want check that.

7. Does all of the fuel tubing come with the kit?

Plane comes with all tubing.

8. What type of clunk is used? Is it tygon or Viton

Comes with Tygon. Which is fine for a season, then swap out if you like. I flew all summer with the supplied tubing with no problems. I will swap out the inner tank tubing for Viton during my winter maintenance.

9. I anyone using anything else other than the MPX connector shown earlier in this thread?

Nope, love the connections. Simple and effective

10. Has anyone used larger tires for the mains?

Nope, been flying off of grass all summer and never felt the need to go with larger tires. They work very well.

I was informed that when this jet stalls, it happens quickly. Is this the general consensus that other s have experienced?

At least for me, no bad habits what so ever. Stalls are very smooth and you have plenty of warning before hand. Just gently drops the nose and will recover very easy. No wing drop. Very easy jet to fly, looks far more intimidating then it is to fly. Really nice jet to fly. I think there isn’t anything better for the money.

I would also suggest to get the thrust vectoring version, even I’d you don’t intend to use it. I took mine off till I am ready for 3D. This version comes with a larger fuel tank, better spec servos and of course the thrust vectoring nozel and servos already installed. Which installing the servos after would be a real PIA.

Thanks for all your help.
Tone[/QUOTE]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.