Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Pilot-rc PREDATOR 2.2m Sport jet / full composite

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Pilot-rc PREDATOR 2.2m Sport jet / full composite

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 02:01 PM
MikePS

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Ready for maiden

Old 11-15-2018, 08:47 AM
why_fly_high
My Feedback: (19)

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I got my 2.2M Predator yesterday. I am very pleased with the paint and finish. It is better than what I expected for the price.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:19 PM
MikePS

Default Maiden complete

Needed a few clicks of up elevator but otherwise flew great. Plenty of power with the K140. After a quick 5 minute flight, I dropped the gear and the flaps. Had a tough time getting it to slow down, after going around once I wound up landing long. After taxiing back, I found my right flap was locked in about the half-flap position and was burned up. It was causing the batteries to overload, and had I not landed when I did I might have lost the whole plane. Swapped out the "bargain" Hobbyking servos with a set of Pilot-rc PY-20ALs my good friend Kevin had and it's ready to go again tomorrow. I have Hitec 7955s on the elevators and ailerons and a Savox sa1283SG on the rudder, but thought I could get away with something less expensive on the flaps. Lesson learned, don't skimp on servos, even if it's only for the flaps. ...hope to get some video tomorrow.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:25 PM
horsefeetky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the flaps take a constant load and can heat up if not designed for the task.....i put the better servos on flaps and rudder in mine.. but the predator i have came with pilot servos installed turbine ready and the servos are very nice.
Old 11-17-2018, 06:07 PM
MikePS

A few shots from today's flights. Thanks to Andy Griffith

Old 11-17-2018, 06:08 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

You're welcome! Looks like it flew great
Old 11-17-2018, 06:56 PM
alfawaz

Is the kit supplied with Kevlar tanks ? And high flow fittings ?
Old 11-17-2018, 06:58 PM
MikePS

Originally Posted by alfawaz
Is the kit supplied with Kevlar tanks ? And high flow fittings ?
yes on the tank, no on the fitting.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:06 PM
alfawaz

Thank you
Old 11-17-2018, 08:31 PM
shepga

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The fuel feed/drain fitting is high flow.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:53 AM
nigefay
My Feedback: (1)

My new K210 is now installed ready for test flight once I have finished with the smoke installation, hopefully later this week.
Old 11-27-2018, 06:59 AM
nigefay

Now had half a dozen flights with the new turbine, very happy with it. 210 doesn’t seem overkill at all although I only use full power for verticals. Really well mannered plane that presents nicely in the air. Rock solid knife edge makes for a lot of fun and nice hesitation rolls.
Quality seems really good with the only minor irritation being the main gear legs seem to rotate fairly easily even on really good landings. Easily fixed by resetting but it would be nice if they had a flat on them to locate them so they stay straight. I may end up drilling them and putting a small bar through to stop them twisting.
if you are using the Pilot-RC smoke pump, it draws power from the rx which I don’t like. Simple solution, I had some cheap turnigy on/off switches so connected one in line from a separate battery and now it has its own power supply.
will post some video soon.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:05 AM
MikePS

Originally Posted by nigefay
Now had half a dozen flights with the new turbine, very happy with it. 210 doesn’t seem overkill at all although I only use full power for verticals. Really well mannered plane that presents nicely in the air. Rock solid knife edge makes for a lot of fun and nice hesitation rolls.
Quality seems really good with the only minor irritation being the main gear legs seem to rotate fairly easily even on really good landings. Easily fixed by resetting but it would be nice if they had a flat on them to locate them so they stay straight. I may end up drilling them and putting a small bar through to stop them twisting.
if you are using the Pilot-RC smoke pump, it draws power from the rx which I don’t like. Simple solution, I had some cheap turnigy on/off switches so connected one in line from a separate battery and now it has its own power supply.
Great report. Haven't had any further flights on mine due to poor weather, but will keep an eye out on the main struts.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:05 AM
why_fly_high

Originally Posted by nigefay
I am tinkering with mine. Got the pipe mounted and thrust vectoring hooked up. My only complaint so far is that there doesn't seem any way to get a drill in the engine compartment to drill the engine mounts. I am considering just going with wood screws rather than the normal blind nut method.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:14 AM
MikePS

Originally Posted by why_fly_high
I am tinkering with mine. Got the pipe mounted and thrust vectoring hooked up. My only complaint so far is that there doesn't seem any way to get a drill in the engine compartment to drill the engine mounts. I am considering just going with wood screws rather than the normal blind nut method.
I used a rechargeable drill, had to go in at a little bit of an angle, but am using #6 wood screws. Will keep an eye on it, but expect they'll be fine.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:21 AM
Agrav8ed

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Any close up pics of the thrust vectoring and how its connected? How difficult is it to hook up?
Thanks,
Tone
Old 11-27-2018, 11:15 AM
nigefay

I used screws to secure the turbine and I don’t expect them to be an issue but will keep an eye on them.

Standard fuel tank tank supplied is 4,600 ml
Old 11-27-2018, 11:21 AM
why_fly_high

Originally Posted by Agrav8ed
Any close up pics of the thrust vectoring and how its connected? How difficult is it to hook up?
Thanks,
Tone
I don't have any pictures. It is a little tight getting everything hooked up but not terrible. Keep in mind I got the turbine ready version so the servos were installed and pushrods made. You just have to connect the TV to the pushrods and put the arm on one of the servos. The pitch servo is under the vertical and came installed and hooked up.
Old 12-02-2018, 06:48 PM
shepga

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Had mine out at the field for some taxi testing. Will maiden the next weekend we have good weather.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:24 PM
fishface5

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nice looking, you are going to love how it handles
Old 12-03-2018, 06:22 AM
MikePS

Looks great!
Old 12-17-2018, 01:15 PM
why_fly_high

FYI, anyone running the Vector Thrust, not unexpected, put everything as far forward as you can. I through everything in there for a test CG, not mounted, and when I picked it up the tail slammed the floor. I was going to run a single battery for the smoke and landing gear but may just go with 2 if I need the weight. Are most settling on the Cg they get with the CG device included or are you moving it back? I am shooting for slighlty nose heavy as it will be easier to put smaller batteries or move them back later.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:22 PM
Agrav8ed

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

FYI, anyone running the Vector Thrust, not unexpected, put everything as far forward as you can. I through everything in there for a test CG, not mounted, and when I picked it up the tail slammed the floor. I was going to run a single battery for the smoke and landing gear but may just go with 2 if I need the weight. Are most settling on the Cg they get with the CG device included or are you moving it back? I am shooting for slighlty nose heavy as it will be easier to put smaller batteries or move them back later.
What brand and size turbine did you go with? Did you balance with the UAT full?
Thanks,
Tone
Old 12-18-2018, 03:36 AM
dccatl

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I used the provided rig but balanced so that it just started to tip to the tail, gear down, UAT full, about 1" of fuel in the main tank. Still a bit nose-heavy but flies very good and slows down well for landing.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:23 AM
why_fly_high

Originally Posted by Agrav8ed
What brand and size turbine did you go with? Did you balance with the UAT full?
Thanks,
Tone
Kingtech 210. Yes. The tank is ahead of the CG so probably safe to have a little fuel in the tank being that you would hope to never land completely dry. I didn't weigh the TV items but would guess with the servo and linkages 6-8oz way back in the tail. As I mentioned, not unexpected. I just wanted to throw this out there for anyone else running the TV so they don't look at the install pictures and just copy those and then get a surprise. I am not going to have to add any ballast so not a big deal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.