Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Pilot-rc PREDATOR 2.2m Sport jet / full composite

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Pilot-rc PREDATOR 2.2m Sport jet / full composite

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2019, 06:20 AM
Todd D
My Feedback: (51)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just sold my Elan to a flying buddy. Looking for my next jet and I'm thinking this is it. I read through the entire thread last night and it appears the only negatives are the issue with the finish, which isn't a deal breaker at all. Oh, I forgot about the bent wing tube, has this been resolved by Pilot RC in the latest shipments? Anyone have concerns about the landing gear operations?? Thanks!
Old 11-09-2019, 06:58 AM
swk550
My Feedback: (76)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I’m on my second Predator. On both, finish has been good......no issues. On my first one, I never bent a wing tube from flight. I had a bad landing and bent the tube. I straightened the tube when I made the repairs. No more issues. The first one is now deceased. I am keeping the old wing tube as a spare. I now also have a cf wing tube, but it is not as tight fit as the aluminum tube. Current wing tubes are fine for my flying.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:23 PM
DHC6
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd D
I just sold my Elan to a flying buddy. Looking for my next jet and I'm thinking this is it. I read through the entire thread last night and it appears the only negatives are the issue with the finish, which isn't a deal breaker at all. Oh, I forgot about the bent wing tube, has this been resolved by Pilot RC in the latest shipments? Anyone have concerns about the landing gear operations?? Thanks!

This a great jet to transition from an Elan. In some ways it’s probably easier to fly then the Elan! As far as the finish goes, I have mentioned it in a past post. For the price I feel that the finish is very good, and it’s sport jet, not a competition scale model. Mine has a few hundred flights on it now and it’s holding up very good, most of the “dings” are hangar rash and not from flying. The build quality and finish in that regard is very good, I’d say up their with some higher priced brands. So it’s got it where it counts if you ask me. As for flying, it flies very good, with little to no bad habits. I got it “snap” but really had to aggravate it to bite, and even then it was pretty easy to recover. The gear for me has been flawless, works every time and the brakes work good as well. I’ve has a few less then perfect landings and the gear/airframe show no signs of ware or any breakage as a result of the hard landings. I especially like that you can extend/retract the gear without having to turn on the plane or your TX. Great for setting up and taking apart at the end of the day.

Last edited by DHC6; 11-09-2019 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:18 PM
airborn900
My Feedback: (25)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I love mine. I transitioned from a sprint. Was easy to fly right from the start. The more I fly it the better I like it. My only comment is on engine size. Don’t be afraid to go big. I started with a 140. Then tried a 160 and now I have a 210. The 210 is awesome.
Old 11-09-2019, 03:35 PM
Todd D

Thanks for the feedback. Great information. Love to hear the factory supplied gear are holding up to everyday use. There are too many stories about gear that’s supplied with a plane just not doing well.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:04 PM
airborn900

The gear is really strong.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:41 AM
[email protected]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The landing gear works great. The other day when I got back from flying I forgot to remove the battery from the retract controller. Well I soon learn that the system will deploy the retracts by it self if the batt voltage drops to low. My nose gear didn’t come out all the way and I was expecting for the nose retract motor to be burned out because the jet was laying on top of a moving blanket on the floor witch obstructed the nose retract but to my luck everything works as advertised. The system must have some sort of protection against binding. The only Issue I have for some reason is settling the brakes. I get full brakes or nothing. Can’t find the in between brakes. Lol
Old 11-10-2019, 07:50 AM
Todd D

Great feedback and good to hear the gear system is robust - thanks
Old 11-10-2019, 11:37 AM
airborn900

My breaks are the same. On or off
Old 11-11-2019, 05:23 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by [email protected]
The landing gear works great. The other day when I got back from flying I forgot to remove the battery from the retract controller. Well I soon learn that the system will deploy the retracts by it self if the batt voltage drops to low. My nose gear didn’t come out all the way and I was expecting for the nose retract motor to be burned out because the jet was laying on top of a moving blanket on the floor witch obstructed the nose retract but to my luck everything works as advertised. The system must have some sort of protection against binding. The only Issue I have for some reason is settling the brakes. I get full brakes or nothing. Can’t find the in between brakes. Lol
Pretty much all electric work on the principle that when the amps goes to a certain level (depending on the gear size) it stop the movement, then you always hear just a little noise....that is the unload...it removed the pressure so it doesn’t get damage with time...

That’s how it actually stop the down and up actuation since there’s no micro switch to wear out or damage with time....
Old 11-11-2019, 05:35 AM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by [email protected]
the gear does that by design. When you extend the gear it keeps moving until the current spikes due to a resistance to movement. 95% of the time this is when the gear reaches full extension or retraction. But if the gear binds up elsewhere in the cycle it also shuts off.
as for the brakes, yeah, they're not the best. But a little fine tuning and some silicone spray on the drums to help wear them in can help also.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:40 PM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

So, after a few flights on this jet, I have decided I'm just not happy with the wing clamp method. Every time I taxi back there is more gap in the wing than when it took off. Not sure when in the flight it is happening. Don't care. Don't like it.
I ended up installing a threaded insert in the wing where they had already drilled a relief hole for the CG screw since it is backed by a piece of plywood, and then I enlarged the cg
screw hole in the fuse to accept the 10-32 screw. It's a little tricky getting the screw tightened up, but it's doable, and worth it. This almost completely got rid of the gap that seems to be common with this aircraft, also.
of course, I will continue to use the clamp. This is just a confidence booster.

Rare earth magnet on the wrench stem keeps the bolt on while you maneuver it under the motor mount plates.
Old 11-28-2019, 12:23 PM
rbtgold
My Feedback: (3)

Default Predator for sale?

Hello. I am in the market for a nice 2.2 Predator ( latest version). Anything out there? I’m located in Milwaukee Wisconsin and willing to road trip it ( within reason!). TIA
PM or [email protected]
Robert
Old 12-03-2019, 04:49 AM
rbtgold
My Feedback: (3)

Hello Gang. I am interested in purchasing a new 2.2 Predator (via PilotRC usa) and would like to hear some flight reports/ quality/ set up. (I've heard a few instances about possible tip stalling which has spooked me !!!??). I'd appreciate any input.
Thank you
Robert in Milwaukee

Last edited by rbtgold; 12-03-2019 at 05:00 AM.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:53 AM
why_fly_high
My Feedback: (19)

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I enjoy mine. I have a k210 and thrust vectoring. It is a good change of pace from my Ultra Flash. It will fly somewhat fast but not a speed demon. Tracks well and a good aerobatic sport jet. I did not have any quality issues with mine. Of course it will tip stall. I don't have a jet that won't if you get it too slow or yank on it hard when going slow. It has tip stalled in the air messing around but I have never had a tip stall and thought, "dang, didn't see that coming." As soon as the elevator is released it gets back to flying nearly immediately.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:13 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rbtgold
Hello Gang. I am interested in purchasing a new 2.2 Predator (via PilotRC usa) and would like to hear some flight reports/ quality/ set up. (I've heard a few instances about possible tip stalling which has spooked me !!!??). I'd appreciate any input.
Thank you
Robert in Milwaukee
I now have a couple of flight on my predator 2.2m...I find no bad tendency but I do notice a tip stall at very very low speed close to landing but was easily control with aileron. Another thing...It's a power hungry airframe...I have a k210 sometime at full power and you wouldn't notice it.

@5:26 tip stall controllable with right aileron.

Last edited by basimpsn; 12-03-2019 at 06:26 AM.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:34 AM
airborn900

Originally Posted by why_fly_high
I enjoy mine. I have a k210 and thrust vectoring. It is a good change of pace from my Ultra Flash. It will fly somewhat fast but not a speed demon. Tracks well and a good aerobatic sport jet. I did not have any quality issues with mine. Of course it will tip stall. I don't have a jet that won't if you get it too slow or yank on it hard when going slow. It has tip stalled in the air messing around but I have never had a tip stall and thought, "dang, didn't see that coming." As soon as the elevator is released it gets back to flying nearly immediately.

are you using the factory thrust vector or an aftermarket. I tried to get the thrust vector pipe from pilot and they wouldn’t sell it to me, said it has to come with the airframe.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:21 AM
why_fly_high

Originally Posted by airborn900
are you using the factory thrust vector or an aftermarket. I tried to get the thrust vector pipe from pilot and they wouldn’t sell it to me, said it has to come with the airframe.
Factory. Reality is that it needs more air to breath. The 210 has more that 1:1 thrust to weight but even at full throttle backs down pretty fast. I think at low/0 airspeed and full throttle it doesn't get enough air. I have been thinking about how to add more air. Holes in the bottom would work but I fly off grass sometimes and think it would suck up a bunch of dirt. I already get grass in the fuselage.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:23 AM
why_fly_high

Originally Posted by basimpsn
Another thing...It's a power hungry airframe...I have a k210 sometime at full power and you wouldn't notice it.
This! I have a 210 and the first flight took off and started flying around. Went to half throttle and thought, "Did the engine quit? It's barely moving!"
Old 12-03-2019, 07:30 AM
airborn900

I have the 210 in mine and I think it is a great match. I also agree that it needs more air. I was thinking about vents in the bottom with a screen to keep some of the junk out.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:31 AM
airborn900

Factory. Reality is that it needs more air to breath. The 210 has more that 1:1 thrust to weight but even at full throttle backs down pretty fast. I think at low/0 airspeed and full throttle it doesn't get enough air. I have been thinking about how to add more air. Holes in the bottom would work but I fly off grass sometimes and think it would suck up a bunch of dirt. I already get grass in the fuselage.
can you post some pictures of the TV unit and servo setup?
Old 12-03-2019, 07:43 AM
basimpsn

This! I have a 210 and the first flight took off and started flying around. Went to half throttle and thought, "Did the engine quit? It's barely moving!"
You're right...I couldn't enjoy this airframe with anything less than 180 size turbine. I also notice it would climb on full power...no need for gyro....On or off I can't tell the difference.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:12 AM
why_fly_high

Originally Posted by airborn900
can you post some pictures of the TV unit and servo setup?
This is all I have really. I bought the plug and play version so the servos were already installed.
I don't have any video of the plane really. I will say that it does pinwheel and flatspin like a beast with the TV.

Last edited by why_fly_high; 12-03-2019 at 08:16 AM.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:25 AM
basimpsn

This is all I have really. I bought the plug and play version so the servos were already installed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF5qS6ovXr8
I don't have any video of the plane really. I will say that it does pinwheel and flatspin like a beast with the TV.
https://youtu.be/407CP_imO9s
Cool high alpha...what was your radio repeating? "Eject last call?" lol
Old 12-03-2019, 09:06 AM
why_fly_high

Originally Posted by basimpsn
Cool high alpha...what was your radio repeating? "Eject last call?" lol
LOL! I had my airspeed turned on. It is repeating, "Zero miles per hour."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.