Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Krill Avanti v Rebel v Grypon

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Krill Avanti v Rebel v Grypon

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 12:21 PM
mikehannah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Krill Avanti v Rebel v Grypon

Hi
I am thinking of expanding my squadron, Can anyone with experience of the Krill Avanti, Pirotti Rebel and Redwing Grypon tell me which of the three is the best performing aerobatic and all round jet.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:11 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mikehannah
Hi
I am thinking of expanding my squadron, Can anyone with experience of the Krill Avanti, Pirotti Rebel and Redwing Grypon tell me which of the three is the best performing aerobatic and all round jet.
I'd take a T-One/Fortune over a Avanti, Rebel, or Grypon any day

Last edited by Desertlakesflying; 10-05-2017 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:16 PM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

of those three.. it depends..

The Evo is more of a trainer type, but it flies nice if you get the CG back.
The Avanti is like a pattern bird with a jet
The Rebel is like a fast avanti but not quite as stable, but it flies nice.

So it depends on what you want. Everyone that flies an Avanti that I have ever spoken to likes the plane. its on rails. but its not real fast.

I presently own and fly a Gryphon Evo.. it fell in my lap, and even though it doesn't fly as well as my avanti, it does fly nice, but its more straight winged than the avanti or rebel. It flies a lot like a viper, but with no coupling. The quality of the red wing evo is very nice finish.

so.. you will need to decide what style flying you like. all good choices and a few more.

Last edited by gooseF22; 10-06-2017 at 02:45 AM.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:35 AM
bluelevel
My Feedback: (39)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Desertlakesflying
I'd take a T-One/Fortune over a Avanti, Rebel, or Grypon any day
Don't want to say that the T-One is a bad plane, but the thread starter asked for opinions on these 3 OTHER planes. You seem to be the biggest Fortune fanboy in this forum as you were hyping up the T-3 even before it came out. Whenever you can add your 2 cents to say how pleased you are with your T-One, you will do it. This is kind of annoying.

Just MY 2 cents

Thomas
Old 10-06-2017, 07:50 AM
raron455
My Feedback: (38)

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bluelevel
Don't want to say that the T-One is a bad plane, but the thread starter asked for opinions on these 3 OTHER planes. You seem to be the biggest Fortune fanboy in this forum as you were hyping up the T-3 even before it came out. Whenever you can add your 2 cents to say how pleased you are with your T-One, you will do it. This is kind of annoying.

Just MY 2 cents

Thomas
+1
Old 10-06-2017, 11:39 AM
Desertlakesflying

Just MY 2 cents

Thomas

Then block me if its such an issue.

I'm just not a fan of people spending more than they should because of a name.

Oh, and it wasn't my hyping the T-3, but whatever helps you sleep at night slick.....

LOL

i just want to be like the BVM and Rebel people....

Last edited by Desertlakesflying; 10-06-2017 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:15 PM
bluelevel
My Feedback: (39)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Desertlakesflying

Then block me if its such an issue. I'm just not a fan of people spending more than they should because of a name. Oh, and it wasn't my hyping the T-3, but whatever helps you sleep at night slick.....
LOL
i just want to be like the BVM and Rebel people....
Desertlakesflying, I don't want this to turn into a pi**ing contest, but has it ever crossed your mind that some people buy pricier brands on purpose, because they like the prestige that comes with it? If I went to a car forum and asked whether I should buy a BMW 3-series, an Audi A-4 or a Mercedes Benz C-class, I would laugh at you recommending the new Toyota Camry that is sooo much less expensive (nothing against Camry's, you can put in any other brand name here). Constructive feedback is always welcome, but plain biased comments just to push another product are kind of lame.

And yes, I take it back, because I recall now. It was the T-One Mini that you described to be an excellent flyer at a time when only a few pictures of a prototype existed

Thomas

Last edited by bluelevel; 10-06-2017 at 06:35 PM.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:40 AM
Si_B

I flew a Gryphon for 2 years and it was a great model. Stable and easy to land. My only issue with it was it didn’t knife edge well. Not owned an Avanti but I’ve had my hands on the T1 and watched a few friends fly them and I think given the choice I’d go with the T1.

Im surprised the Carf Flash is not in your list. I’ve sold all my other jets and just kept my Flash as it flies so well, fast or slow and is strong, especially around the retract mounts.

I did own a Rebel but never finished it and sold it on. They look to fly well but the quality of the finish is no where near the Gryphon, T1 or the Flash.

Cheers,
Simon
Old 10-07-2017, 09:56 AM
Desertlakesflying

Desertlakesflying, I don't want this to turn into a pi**ing contest, but has it ever crossed your mind that some people buy pricier brands on purpose, because they like the prestige that comes with it? If I went to a car forum and asked whether I should buy a BMW 3-series, an Audi A-4 or a Mercedes Benz C-class, I would laugh at you recommending the new Toyota Camry that is sooo much less expensive (nothing against Camry's, you can put in any other brand name here). Constructive feedback is always welcome, but plain biased comments just to push another product are kind of lame.

And yes, I take it back, because I recall now. It was the T-One Mini that you described to be an excellent flyer at a time when only a few pictures of a prototype existed

Thomas
Nothing like a good straw man to start the day...
Old 10-07-2017, 02:33 PM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

by moving the CG back behind the spar, I was able to get it to knife edge horizon to horizon. It took a little more rudder.. I set it up to 1.125 inch throw. it didn't need it all..

I think the key to getting this plane flying good was to get the CG back.

When mine is empty, it sits on the tail no problem with the canopy on or off.. When it has about 1/2 the main tank full, it flops onto the nose gear. trailing link gear. so when I taxi in from flight, its very light on the nose but it sets up perfectly in a nose high attitude for landing that way, and it requires less throw to get the thing to knife edge, go inverted, and make hard turns.. I ended up putting only 3/4 inch throw in the elevator.

take it for what its worth, but I think guys were flying it too nose heavy in general. I watched a lot of video of it before the maiden, and most of the videos the plane approached flat, and three pointed..

I really like the way it flies like this..

I did the same thing to my boomerang Elan, and it flies awesome too.. got the CG back where it would do a wheelie on landing the full length of the runway if I wanted to. The evo won't wheelie as well, but it will a little bit on landing.

Im really glad to see this thread revive a little.. I think the evo would make a good trainer for guys if it were in production, however if I were King, I would take out the intake fiberglass work, and put the main fuel tank on the CG instead of way in front of it. I would also make the main tank bigger.. Danny added 2 16oz flat tanks under the main tank. The main is a bit small.

good luck with the old bird.. its still a good airplane
Old 10-08-2017, 10:43 AM
Desertlakesflying

Thomas
It was called passing along the information from someone who had been testing, But hey,,, as long as you feel good about it.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:24 PM
mikehannah

Hi
Sorry but nothing annoys me more than someone answering a different question than the one asked. My question was regarding the three jets in particular because those are the three sports jets in the 2m wingspan class ( roughly) that I like the looks of. Call me crazy but I need to like a plane to own and fly it. Sorry but the Fortune does not float my boat,. excellent value for money it appears to be and in fact a T one models Typhoon is on my bucket list.

I have got some good info here to inform my decision
Old 10-08-2017, 02:27 PM
Si_B

I’ve tried to help by answering with the experience I’ve got. Not many of us are lucky enough to have owned all three.

Just buy the one you like the look of.