Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Is it me or do all these new Sport jets look the same?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Is it me or do all these new Sport jets look the same?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 07:50 AM
jws_aces
My Feedback: (33)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok..I have both a large Hawk and the new Havoc. They do fly similar. I now have all I ever would want to fly. I can break 200mph with either one.. Don't have any desire to race them. They both fly extremely slow and agile. I love the Hawk for the Scale plus the real plane look. I fell in love with the size and look of the Havoc compared to other large sport jets. I can't believe I still want to fly it so much. I figured I would be board with it by now. Nope, It's a simple no worries large fun to fly jet.... sorry but don't hate me but I do love each one different for different reason. I use to only like scale but they are a lot of work to fly and sometimes takes the fun out of the hobby.. this is just a hobby.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0252.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	2242298
Old 10-24-2017, 07:52 AM
jws_aces

Oh yea the Havoc has a tail that appears to be similar to the Viper jet not the hawk. I bet you could remove it and install it on a viper of the same size.
The fuse is very different also from either. The wing cord is much wider on the havoc also.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:53 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by GSR
Kind of form following function- If you want a plane that tracks well, rolls true flies slow, fast and knife edges-Your gonna get something with a big thick wing-square dimensions and a great wide (or tall depending on how you see it) fuselage-BTW where the hell were you for BITW Raffe. Scotty
I need to dial in my jet flying set up better. With a kid, it is a little harder to go flying. And I need a new RV!! I miss you guys!!!

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
Ravill, do you guys have specsavers there? There is way more than the caniliser. Full ducting, all flying tails, three forward retracting gear, three piece wing, 2 piece fuse. Plus so many features that make the machine easier for the owner.
Are you speaking american??!!!

Originally Posted by Doug Cronkhite
I agree.. but not everybody wants a Hawk either.. To me, the Bandit is still the best looking jet out there..
Yes, bandits are the best looking sport jets by far!!!

These "cab forward" designs are just so bloated and ugly looking, I want to know why EVERYONE is copying this look?! Ok, so they are "supposed" to fly well, but dangnabit are they ugly to look at!!
Old 10-24-2017, 09:59 AM
rcflyguy_26
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don't like them, don't buy them. No sense in putting down other guys airframe choices for your opinion. We need to support each other even it's not quite your cup of tea.
With the state of the hobby, we need to stick together.

Scott

Last edited by rcflyguy_26; 10-24-2017 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:08 AM
jws_aces

Originally Posted by rcflyguy_26
If you don't like them, don't buy them. No sense in putting down other guys airframe choices for your opinion. We need to support each other even it's not quite your cup of tea.

Scott
+1

That goes for a lot of thing Scott..Well said
Old 10-24-2017, 10:21 AM
JackD
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ravill
I

Yes, bandits are the best looking sport jets by far!!!

These "cab forward" designs are just so bloated and ugly looking, I want to know why EVERYONE is copying this look?! Ok, so they are "supposed" to fly well, but dangnabit are they ugly to look at!!
Raffy, Got to fly a Havoc in BITW. It flies incredibly well. Super precise, no bad tendencies etcit feels like flying a big Extra on a DA200.

Personally, i want a jet to feel heavy, fast, precise, on rails. Like an F100. Or the Delta feeling of an F16. Or the feeling of a hyper adrenaline rush of a bandit doing way too many mph...

It is all a matter of taste. These new sport jets are definitely function over form. And they do an excellent job at what they are designed to do. I had a really hard time getting used to not having to input corrections during inverted and KE... they are that precise. I need full rudder on my cougar or F100 to do a 4pt roll. Full rudder on a havoc does a KE loop!!!!

Give it a try somtime. you might like it, just get a super cool paint job to distract you from the shape

Last edited by JackD; 10-27-2017 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:30 AM
jws_aces

Jack
Do you mean fly like this..fast on rails.. check out mine last weekend at my very small and restrictive home field. As you can see it handles awesome!!!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu54mflsrnc
Old 10-24-2017, 10:38 AM
JackD
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice Jeff!!!!....
Seems like you are having fun....
It does fly fast (not 200 fast, but fast and it is on rails, but there is a very different feeling to it. It is hard to explain. It is all on the wing loading and energy retention.

But, it sure is a superb model, super fun to fly. If Pablo ever gets the smaller done, i might even consider it, specially now that my kid is getting more interested in the hobby....(pablo.. pay attention haha)

it is just a different aspect of the hobby, that is my point....

See you at Fl jets?

Later
Jack
Old 10-24-2017, 10:48 AM
jws_aces

Yes it has a different feeling than the scale Hawk of similar size. I think with the extra power I have with the K-310G and no fear now of breaking it. I have put mine past 15+ Gs with no issues. It's like driving a really powerful go cart compared to say a heavy sports car (vette, camaro, lambo). The Havoc handles like the go cart. The Hawk feels a exotic sports car you kind worry hurting it when you start to push on it.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:59 AM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

The 3 T-One Models all look like each other for a reason. They all still look better than all the other "Hawk" style, and cost a hell of a lot less for just as much jet.

The T-One series are also the best sport jets to get you ready for scale jets.

Last edited by Desertlakesflying; 10-24-2017 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:02 AM
jws_aces

Originally Posted by Desertlakesflying
The 3 T-One Models all look like each other for a reason. They all still look better than all the others, and cost a hell of a lot less for just as much jet.
That is why there are so many options to choose from and it is a great time to be in the hobby.
Hard to beat HAVOC TIME!!!
Old 10-24-2017, 11:02 AM
marc s

.What's even worse is sticking these goofy names on the sides of the jets!
Well after spending months and months designing, prototyping, testing and throwing a shed load of money at the project its kinda nice to advertise the name of your creation on said jet - every car has the name and maker regalia on them so why not a sports jet?????
Might have a different view if you had invested your time bringing a jet to market.

Early prototype of the Vixen going through testing - don't think it looks THAT bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNT_...ature=youtu.be

marcs
Old 10-24-2017, 11:05 AM
jws_aces

MARCS,

I have seen that jet fly and it looks very good. A guy here has one with the wing tanks and it looks great! Good Job!

I had thought about one of those but I talked Ali out of his Havoc and now I have exactly what I need.. One sport and one scale bird.

Last edited by jws_aces; 10-24-2017 at 11:19 AM.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:09 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by rcflyguy_26

Scott
I was just wondering why they all look the same, I didn't say they were ugly. Atleast at first!

Its all in good fun. Opinions are like butts, we all have em, and they all stink!

Originally Posted by JackD
Raffy, Got to fly a Havoc in BITW. It flies incredibly well. Super precise, no bad tendencies etc.. But... and it is a big but for me, it feels like flying a big Extra on a DA200. But for that job, I rather have a big extra with a DA200....

i want a jet to feel heavy, fast, precise, on rails. Like an F100. Or the Delta feeling of an F16. Or the feeling of a hyper adrenaline rush of a bandit doing way too many mph...

It is all a matter of taste. These new sport jets are definitely function over form. And they do an excellent job at what they are designed to do. I had a really hard time getting used to not having to input corrections during inverted and KE... they are that precise. I need full rudder on my cougar or F100 to do a 4pt roll. Full rudder on a havoc does a KE loop!!!!

Give it a try somtime. you might like it, just get a super cool paint job to distract you from the shape
Jack, you, your dad, and soon Santiago, make any airplane look good man! Your family are my heroes!!

There is a LLLLLLOOOOOONNNNNNGGGGG line of jets that I'd get before I was so bored that I'd get one of the new "cab forward" design sport jets, but that's just me!
Old 10-24-2017, 12:20 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Originally Posted by jws_aces
Ok..I have both a large Hawk and the new Havoc. They do fly similar. I now have all I ever would want to fly. I can break 200mph with either one.. Don't have any desire to race them. They both fly extremely slow and agile. I love the Hawk for the Scale plus the real plane look. I fell in love with the size and look of the Havoc compared to other large sport jets. I can't believe I still want to fly it so much. I figured I would be board with it by now. Nope, It's a simple no worries large fun to fly jet.... sorry but don't hate me but I do love each one different for different reason. I use to only like scale but they are a lot of work to fly and sometimes takes the fun out of the hobby.. this is just a hobby.

Attachment 2242298
Jeff, as long as you post videos of your flights with narration and the closed caption option activated and turned on, I will watch them no matter what you are flying

Last edited by afterburner; 10-24-2017 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:24 PM
jws_aces

Marty, I laughed so hard the first time and still do..I hadn't tried the last one with havoc. the camera wasn't next to me.. LOL ..

thanks and take care my friend.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:26 PM
jetmaven

Bring back the Maverick and be done with the fish looking creations.Theyre just plain ugly .
Old 10-24-2017, 05:11 PM
txshan130
My Feedback: (114)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, all the new sport jets are starting to look all the same, but at the same time, they are selling! This year at Kentucky Jets, I don't think I saw a single Bandit or Kingcat. I and a few others had flashes. A fair number of shockwaves. And THEN...there was a stampede of these new concept/whale type jets.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:13 PM
AEROSHELDON
My Feedback: (99)

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

I think it is because they fly great. I personally like the look. The AJ Slick is my all time favorite 3D plane to fly. It has the "guppy" look and I have grown to love it, so maybe that is why I like the look of my whale shaped Futura.

As usual, my pics are crazy.....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	imagejpeg_0-1.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	2242325   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2935.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	2.32 MB
ID:	2242326  
Old 10-24-2017, 08:45 PM
Auburn02
My Feedback: (1)

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by txshan130
Yes, all the new sport jets are starting to look all the same, but at the same time, they are selling! This year at Kentucky Jets, I don't think I saw a single Bandit or Kingcat. I and a few others had flashes. A fair number of shockwaves. And THEN...there was a stampede of these new concept/whale type jets.
You didn’t look very hard! We had 3 Bandits in our tent alone...4 if you count Ultra Bandits...6 if you count Andy and Boli’s UBs next door.

But they are definitely the minority. Funny thing is yes, the new sport jets all look the same. But the old sport jets also all look the same. It’s just that the new ones don’t look like the old ones. I too prefer heavier, high wing loading jets. But when I fly prop planes I prefer warbirds over 3D planes also, so it’s all just a matter of perspective.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:09 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't dislike the Havoc at all.. I'm still planning on getting the SS when it's released, but my current airplanes are the Mini-Avanti, and the DerJet F-35A.. Well.. at least they will be when I get home and build them..

46 days to go.. lol
Old 10-25-2017, 10:03 AM
shepga

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Been flying pattern for the past 20 years. Kinda wanted to fly jets at some point in the future but that was a ways down the road. Whenever I would see a jet fly all I saw was racetrack circuit, racetrack circuit,,,oh there's a 4 point roll. Racetrack circuit, racetrack circuit,, oh there's a knife edge. Racetrack circuit race track circuit...here comes a 200 mph low pass. To me this was fugly flying. Then one day a guy showed up at our field with a jet. It caught my eye because it was different than the other jets I had seen. It not only looked different but the guy flew it differently. Kinda smooth and graceful. It was a Futura. Interesting but I'll fly pattern. Same guy showed up next time with a small Rebel then a larger Rebel. His 4 points and knife edge passes were close to what I see in pattern. That kinda got my attention, kinda got me thinking. Took a closer look at the Rebels, hmmm I like this, but naaa.I'm not into jets. Next time the guy showed up he had a Leonardo.....wow he just flew a humpty bump and there goes a half reverse Cuban 8, there goes a full Cuban 8. After he performed a slow pass full flaps 6 feet off the ground SLOWER than I land my pattern plane it was all over for me. I retired from pattern purchased a Leonardo and a T-1. We all appreciate and resonate with different aspects of our hobby. To some it's the aesthetics of lets say a jet. For me its the way they fly.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:45 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by shepga
Been flying pattern for the past 20 years. Kinda wanted to fly jets at some point in the future but that was a ways down the road. Whenever I would see a jet fly all I saw was racetrack circuit, racetrack circuit,,,oh there's a 4 point roll. Racetrack circuit, racetrack circuit,, oh there's a knife edge. Racetrack circuit race track circuit...here comes a 200 mph low pass. To me this was fugly flying. Then one day a guy showed up at our field with a jet. It caught my eye because it was different than the other jets I had seen. It not only looked different but the guy flew it differently. Kinda smooth and graceful. It was a Futura. Interesting but I'll fly pattern. Same guy showed up next time with a small Rebel then a larger Rebel. His 4 points and knife edge passes were close to what I see in pattern. That kinda got my attention, kinda got me thinking. Took a closer look at the Rebels, hmmm I like this, but naaa.I'm not into jets. Next time the guy showed up he had a Leonardo.....wow he just flew a humpty bump and there goes a half reverse Cuban 8, there goes a full Cuban 8. After he performed a slow pass full flaps 6 feet off the ground SLOWER than I land my pattern plane it was all over for me. I retired from pattern purchased a Leonardo and a T-1. We all appreciate and resonate with different aspects of our hobby. To some it's the aesthetics of lets say a jet. For me its the way they fly.

I flew pattern for years and I fly my jets the same way with high speed passes thrown in. I almost always fly a turn around maneuver with a center maneuver. Turn arounds include half Cuban 8s, half reverse Cuban 8s, top hat with 1/4 rolls, humpty bumps, spins, figure 9 etc. Centers include loop with a roll at the top maybe a 1/2 roll, maybe 1 1/2 rolls, vertical 8, Cuban 8, reverse Cuban 8, figure M with half rolls, square loop, square loop on 45, previously mentioned with rolls, point rolls, slow rolls, even rolling circle.
all of this with a bvm bobcat, kingcat, or my old CAI raptor.
Tie ask of that in with 200mph flight and to me those are the ultimate jets. You don't have to have one of the pregnant fish pattern jets to do those maneuvers. They might do them better, but my jets do them crisp and precise and imo look 1000x better in the air or on the ground.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:35 AM
taildragger21
My Feedback: (197)

Maybe you don’t have to “have” a “fish” jet but fact is the increased side area and lighter wing loading makes them do it much better. Technology and designs advance, old designs fade away from the mainstream. These new jets are bringing new jet pilots to the hobby that previously flew precision and 3d like myself. Personally I care less about 200 mph. I want to fly precision aerobatics with a smooth jet.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:59 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree about all the sports jets looking the same, that's why I got a Aviation Design Diamond (larger with K210), it fly's just like my buddy's Shockwave but it looks completely different vs other sports jets and has a great odd sound. I have issue of showing up for an event and seeing 5 or more of the same jet I have.

I really love the large Havoc, I have flown it several times and it fly's unlike any Sport jet I have ever flown, it dose fly like a DA200 IMAC / 3D Edge 540., I have never done such hard negative loop, or square maneuvers with any other jet. My only issue with the Havoc is its just a little to big, that's why I'm excited about the new Mid Size Havoc coming out next year.

I was digging that jet powered bi plane, what was it called again?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.