Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Storage of Batteries During Non Flying Season

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Storage of Batteries During Non Flying Season

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 06:38 AM
redtail
My Feedback: (15)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Storage of Batteries During Non Flying Season

Hey guys, what do I do or how do I store my LIFE and LIPO batteries during the non flying winter months? Many thanks. Chic
Old 11-05-2017, 06:51 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Most new chargers have a storage charge setting but I always keep about 70-80% of the overall charge this is how most batteries come.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:19 AM
aehaas

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

LiFe batteries are frequently used in high end flashlights as they can be stored fully charged with no degradation. LiPo batteries should be brought down to "storage" levels for longevity. The engineer at ThunderPower Batteries told me that LiPo batteries should not be fully charged for more than 24 hours otherwise they will puff up over time if kept fully charged. They told me that if you charged your battery today for flying tomorrow but ended up not flying then you should bring them down to storage voltage right then. Charging the day-of flying would be better yet. Anyway, that's what they said to do.

aehaas
Old 11-05-2017, 11:11 AM
redtail

WOW - something I certainly did not know. Will check all of my batteries for puffiness and those not being flown - will place into a storage charge. How long may I ask , is the storage charge good for? Sorry for these rookie questions but that is how we learn from others. Thanks. Chic
Old 11-05-2017, 12:40 PM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Storage is basically a function of voltage and temperature.
A pack at storage voltage (somewhere around 3.8V/cell ... give or take) can be stored for 6 months at room temp or 2 years at lowered (45-55 degC) temperature.
Old 11-05-2017, 02:02 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

Storage charge stay pretty constant.....I store mine at 52% (just what my charger does) and they stay between 51-49% from about mid Nov to whenever its all melted and the field/road are dry.....April-Mai time frame....
Old 11-05-2017, 06:20 PM
redtail

Thanks aehaas, Fenderbean, Itc, Daniel. Great info. Chic
Old 11-05-2017, 07:02 PM
Auburn02
My Feedback: (1)

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

What chargers do you guys use the storage functions on? I ask because mine also has that function but the max discharge rate is 1A so it takes damn near forever to discharge a pack.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:36 PM
Dansy

Revolectrix for me, Dual PL8, PL8 and a pair of XP10 discharge is the slower side at 10 amp max. I recently got 2 discharger for ISDT (RC Buddy) they each can do one battery to 8amps.....I have to say I haven’t try them yet, I need to build a couple adapter since their plug is the XP?the yellow one and I mainly used PowerPole
Old 11-06-2017, 04:38 AM
ltc

Same as Daniel.
I purchased the new ISDT FD-100 discharger (available from multiple places for $35 each).
They work just fine for discharging.

I have a smaller dedicated discharger from Japan for 2x Rx packs, also works just great.

If you are a DIY type, there is a lot of information in this thread over on RCG regarding dischargers:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...charger/page27
Old 11-06-2017, 04:40 AM
ltc

Also, if you want to use your charger to do high current (storage) discharge, the iCharger family allows for up to 40A (by means of an external load adapter)

I don't like to use my chargers for discharge/storage ... I don't like the thermal stress it places on the charger and it is better served by using an external discharger.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:51 AM
redtail

OK OK OK. The terms are drawing a blank. You speak of "Storage Charge" yet you speak of discharging the battery. So does the charger - charge the battery to the point of reaching its "storage charge" or does the storage charge setting on the charger, discharge the battery to the storage charge. I have the Hitec X4 charger. It has the "Storage Charge" function. By what I am hearing, should I buy another unit to do the "Storage Charge" function? Great discussion. Chic
Old 11-06-2017, 04:57 AM
Dansy

if your current battery charge is less then the storage charge (storage charge is typically around 50% but can also be change in the software by the user).....it will charge the batteries to 50% or what you got setup.

if the current charge in your battery is more then the storage charge it will simply discharged the battery....this where the charger is less effective, normall max out at about 10a.....since it’s take the charge and dissipating into heat...so the chargers can only dissipates so much heat.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:26 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

I never storage charge my lipos. I'm just too lazy and I have too many of them.

But I replace my Lipos every two years because I don't trust older lipos than that. And again, I use the 2500 ma 2s lipo's from hobby king. They have been the most reliable and the most economical. Win win!

If I had some mondo 7500 ma 12s $98702904209459870.99 lipo packs, I'd probably storage charge them.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:34 AM
Dansy

I don’t used hobby king batteries.......LOL

Last edited by Dansy; 11-07-2017 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:07 PM
redtail

Please "EXPLAIN". Chic
Old 11-06-2017, 07:58 PM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Storage is a state for Lipo chemistry.
It is the most appropriate voltage that reduces ionic exchange through the anode and cathode separations.
It is 3.8 to 3.85 v per cell.

You can get to this voltage by charging the pack ( if empty ) or discharging it ( if full ).
So the term "storage charge" is not appropriate if your pack is full!

Also note that when Lipo packs degrade, the internal resistance increases. I strongly recommend to note the internal resistance of a pack after the run-in period and keep a record of the value at the end of each season.
Once the internal resistance has doubled, discard the pack. No need to throw away your pack after 2 years in that case. Just on condition . These things are extremely nasty for the environment. Discarding on condition will be your little contribution to make the future of your children a little bit less messy...
Old 11-07-2017, 05:00 AM
redtail

Thanks "olnico" for the explanation. Hope you did not suffer from the flooding there. We all should learn something "NEW" each day. You made my day - Smile. Chic
Old 11-07-2017, 03:35 PM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by olnico
Storage is a state for Lipo chemistry.
It is the most appropriate voltage that reduces ionic exchange through the anode and cathode separations.
It is 3.8 to 3.85 v per cell.

You can get to this voltage by charging the pack ( if empty ) or discharging it ( if full ).
So the term "storage charge" is not appropriate if your pack is full!

Also note that when Lipo packs degrade, the internal resistance increases. I strongly recommend to note the internal resistance of a pack after the run-in period and keep a record of the value at the end of each season.
Once the internal resistance has doubled, discard the pack. No need to throw away your pack after 2 years in that case. Just on condition . These things are extremely nasty for the environment. Discarding on condition will be your little contribution to make the future of your children a little bit less messy...
this is good advice that I use.. I mark my packs with a big marker when they double IR.. they only get used in less demanding roles or relegated to bench duty.. they are stored at 3.83 volts all. I keep my batteries at room temp,

I have Ammo cases with Sheetrock liners and small holes in the top with fire retardant canvas covering holes.. I have several.. They sit on a ceramic liner in case they cook off, which if stable wont happen.

You are most vulnerable when charging or discharging. But thats for a different thread. There is no alternative to balance charging that is viable IMHO.. Every battery gets the checker when done.. no exceptions.. I have seen some amazing lipo fires.. I saw a car burn to the ground in a raging fire, So I take the time to make sure they are stable at the end of the day.. this required investing in quality chargers, and a way to discharge them.. I use the i308 with a hair dryer as a load.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:02 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 330 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by olnico
How do I check IR on my LiPo packs?
Thanks
Gary
Old 11-07-2017, 07:04 PM
AEROSHELDON
My Feedback: (99)

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Viper1GJ
Thanks
Gary
My Thunder Power charger has it built in, and your charger possibly does as well. Check it when they are full and around the same temperature if you can. Mainly you want to be consistent.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:33 AM
ltc

Originally Posted by Viper1GJ
Thanks
Gary
If you want to do this away from
your charger, you buy a standalone ESR meter
The most respected is the original Wayne Giles ESR meter; luckily Hobbyking is now selling this meter again
Revolectrix just released a new ESR meter as well

One note: always measure ESR at the same temperature.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:29 PM
Auburn02
My Feedback: (1)

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm going to pick up one of these ISDT FD-100 dischargers, seems like a much better option than the 1A discharge rate on my charger.

Curious now though, what is this "non-flying season" you guys speak of?
Old 11-08-2017, 03:22 PM
redtail

Auburn02 - I just did as you suggested. I went on Ebay and purchased a ISDT FD-100. Ha, Ha. Weather this week is in the mid 40's (deg). This weekend we expect high 30's. I don't fly below 50 degs. Once we had the mayor of Washington, D.C. out to our field one year. It was 40 degs or so. He wanted to see a Q-40 pylon racer and a trainer fly. We had to stick the front end of the pylon racer inside a truck on the passenger side with the heat on blast. Then quickly fire it up once warm. The mayor enjoyed the flight, but never again below 50 deg. Smile. Chic

Last edited by redtail; 11-08-2017 at 03:27 PM.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:51 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 330 Likes on 217 Posts

I have the iCharger 4010 DUO and found it does show IR when charging. Since I don't know where the IR was when my batteries were new, how can I determine what the No Go IR should be on an pack in use now?

I have been using the built in Storage program to store my LiPo batteries when not in use. It seems about 3.8v per cell.

Thanks