Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Drogue Chutes - the do's and don't please.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Drogue Chutes - the do's and don't please.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 03:33 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Question Drogue Chutes - the do's and don't please.

Hi guys,

Starting to install my first drogue chute and I have absolutely no experience or even personal sighting of one being used. My initial questions are:
- How to secure it to the jet, given that there is a chute carrier/box involved?
- How far behind the jet should the chute be when deployed?
- I don't have a spare channel to make some sort of chute release. So any suggestions as to how best to handle the deployed chute on the ground after the landing and rollout?
- What is the best method of loading the chute in the box for best operation?

Thank you for your help.

Jan
Old 11-11-2017, 04:01 PM
mullerr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This link may help you, it should help you with your questions and more, good luck.
​​​​​​​Skymaster CF104 Airframe and Scale Goodies - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
Old 11-11-2017, 04:03 PM
mullerr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry wrong link
​​​​​​​Skymaster 1/5 F104 Starfighter / Behotec220
Old 11-11-2017, 04:34 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Lots of guys will tell you that you need a release to drop the chute after landing or if it accidentially deploys in flight.

I have had two airplanes with a chute and neither of them had a release. The chute never deployed in flight and after landing, I just dragged it back. Generally, unless there was a lot of wind, the exhaust keeps the chute inflated (mostly) and it stays off the ground during taxi back.

Also, if you land at a jet meet and drop your chute in the middle of the active runway, you'll won't make friends with the guys waiting to land while you retrieve it...

Bob
Old 11-12-2017, 04:36 AM
Springbok Flyer

Bob,

Could you please tell me how far behind the jet I should have the chute when it has deployed? Also, any special way of folding and loading the chute into the box for efficient deployment?

Thanks,

Jan
Old 11-12-2017, 07:48 AM
ozief16
My Feedback: (13)

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Jan,

What I've done to secure the chute in the plane is to run a Sullivan cable through inner nyrod (the yellow stuff) from my servo to the back of the plane. In the back I have about a 1/2" gap between the end of that nyrod and another 3/4" piece of the nyrod. The servo pushes the cable (which I silver solder for strength in the area where it will span the gap between the two pieces of nyrod). Simply make a loop in the end of the chute cable and hold that in the middle of the gap in the nyrod, have the servo push the cable across the open space between the nyrod and into the far side. It's very strong and releases the chute no problem

donyou need a release? Maybe maybe not. If the chute accidental deploys in flight it will probably just rip free. You don't want to leave the chute in the plane in between flying sessions in my mind so a way to take it off the plane would be nice at the end of the day

In terms of deploying the chute...if you're out of channels you can get the auto chute from dan gill (details for Scale). It takes inputs from throttle flaps and brakes as well as a wheel speed sensor and will deploy the chute automatically when all values are met (i.e. Flaps at full, throttle at idle, brakes on c percent and the wheels start spinning). Unit works great and doesn't take a channel

How far behind the plane? Look at google images of your plane and see what it really did. In general it's a lot farther back than I think it should be. Usually about one fuselage length as a rough hack

how to fold. Look up the Auto Chute instructions on the details for Scale website. He has folding instructions on there. When I do it that way it always works
Old 11-12-2017, 08:29 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a system wherein with the flaps up, the parachute is "released" such that if it were to deploy it would just fall away ( I heard a horror story about a cook F-4 chute deploying in flight, it left an impression on me). This is a separate servo connected to the flap channel.

With the flaps down, the chute is now locked on. After touchdown, if you want to jettison the chute, just raise the flaps and the turbine exhaust blast will blow it off. If you want to leave the chute on, just taxi with the flaps down.

I tried to come up with a break away chute but it always broke on landing
Old 11-12-2017, 08:58 AM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...22how-%22.html

my 2c

Old 11-12-2017, 01:50 PM
Springbok Flyer

Thanks guys,

I am installing one in a SM F-104 and the attachment and release with the chute box hinging down underneath the fuse is not allowing for the common attachment and releasing methods. However, the distance of the chute behind the jet and the folding and loading of it seem generic.

Jan
Old 11-12-2017, 01:52 PM
ColinW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know how easy it would be to engineer, but a lot of full size have a system where the chute is unlocked till selected i.e. if it streams when it hasn't been selected it will come straight off. When selected the chute is locked onto the aircraft. This needs a lock that only comes into use when the chute steam is streamed.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:09 PM
Springbok Flyer

Originally Posted by ozief16
Jan,
how to fold. Look up the Auto Chute instructions on the details for Scale website. He has folding instructions on there. When I do it that way it always works
I have had a look, but cannot find the instructions on 'how to fold - please can you post a link?

Jan
Old 11-12-2017, 02:31 PM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Springbok Flyer
I have had a look, but cannot find the instructions on 'how to fold - please can you post a link?

Jan

did u ever played with an estes rocket? If not search for there instructions .They will show you how it folds
Old 11-12-2017, 05:20 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

Watch this video.

Old 11-12-2017, 07:05 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by DelGatoGrande
did u ever played with an estes rocket? If not search for there instructions .They will show you how it folds
Exactly what I was thinking
Old 11-12-2017, 07:07 PM
Springbok Flyer

Originally Posted by DelGatoGrande
Thanks George, I will see if I can find it.

Jan
Old 11-12-2017, 08:03 PM
JSF-TC
My Feedback: (2)

Received 134 Likes on 78 Posts

Jan,

I scratch built a drag chute for my DerJet Hunter. I 3D printed a chute release mechanism that operates both the doors and the chute release with a single servo.

Basically, the servo moves a piece of piano wire that protrudes aft and engages a hook on one of the 2 overlapping spring loaded doors. This one door holds the second door closed. The servo is on a 3-position switch - Closed/ Deploy/ Jettison. From closed, on selecting Deploy, the piano wire is pulled forward enough to release the spring loaded doors. The chute is retained by a loop around the piano wire inside the pocket in the 3D printed frame. On selecting Jettison, the wire is pulled forward further, allowing the loop to slip off the wire.

Sorry, don't have a good photo of the actual install, but it works well.

I scaled the cute dimensions from a photo of the full-scale. It ended up matching the 16" D4S chute - I just asked for a 5 segment chute rather than the 4-segment standard offering. Don't hold your breath for delivery - took almost 1 year to get.......

It looks and works great and it is extremely powerful - it will stop my Hunter in about 350ft with a slight headwind and no wheel braking. Chute and wheel brakes will get it stopped in about 200ft.

I did have one inadvertent deploy at around 15ft AGL just prior to touchdown - pilot error in moving my finger to the switch, and Oops!!!. Nearly totally destroyed the model as it stopped in mid-air and pivoted nose down and smashed into the runway. 4 months of reconstruction and the plane is flying great again. I've now fitted a locking 3-position switch to my Tx to protect against another inadvertent deployment.

I think it is worth the effort to have a working chute.

Regards,

Paul
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Chute Release 1.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	2244869   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chute Release 2.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	2244870   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1920.JPG