Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Dreamworks Electric Pro-Link retracts

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Dreamworks Electric Pro-Link retracts

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 04:17 PM
blainer48
My Feedback: (30)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dreamworks Electric Pro-Link retracts

I am debating on going with the air or electric retracts for my boomerang xl. I have air Pro-Links in my Sprint and they work flawlessly. Just didn't know if anyone had experience with the electrics and how they handle grass use since there is a wire going down to the brakes as opposed to an air line. Just looking for pros and cons.

Jason
Old 12-22-2017, 06:15 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

I have a set of Pro-Link in my Ventrix and did well on the grass, just got a set for my new XL boomerang....
Old 12-22-2017, 07:16 PM
blainer48

Dansy, are you talking about air or electric set up?

Jason
Old 12-22-2017, 07:30 PM
Jetpilot24
My Feedback: (21)

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a set of Dreamworks Prolink electrics on an Ultra Flash. They are the basic version. I fly mainly from a paved runway but last Sept I had the opportunity to fly off a grass field. I had 5 flights with no problems.

Joe Lewis
Kingtech
K-80, K-140, K-180
Owner
Old 12-22-2017, 07:36 PM
luge_racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got a CARF EuroSport with electric Pro-Link gear that the previous owner flew exclusively off grass and they seem to have held up just fine.
Old 12-22-2017, 07:49 PM
blainer48

I guess my main concern was how the lead connected to the brakes and if it stayed connected when flying from grass. I like the idea of eliminating airlines, pressure gauges, fill valves, etc..

Jason
Old 12-22-2017, 08:47 PM
Custmachr
My Feedback: (3)

Originally Posted by blainer48
I guess my main concern was how the lead connected to the brakes and if it stayed connected when flying from grass. I like the idea of eliminating airlines, pressure gauges, fill valves, etc..

Jason
i purchased a used Nano Bomer with Prolinks and added the Xicoy electric brakes. I Have over 80 flights on them primary on grass. Prolinks struts have held up well. Minor issues with pivot pin coming loose on struts. The electric brakes are OK but will start to drag when grass is damp or wet and then require cleaning. No problems with electric plug. Just wire tied to strut. I also have XCalibur with original struts and air brake set up. These have held up well on grass also. About 50 flights with 40 on grass. The air brakes on it thus far have not required hardly any maintenance as the electric has on the Nano. Both have air actuators. I would probably go with air brakes and JetTronics low loss brake valve on next plane if I have room for air tank.
Old 12-22-2017, 08:50 PM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

On grass, you need smooth proportional braking to keep from skidding. Grass is almost as bad as a fiber mat for skidding.

I have Prolinks air in the Sprint and electrics in the Ultraflash. I initially got the Basic version of the electrics and found that the braking was totally unsuitable. Proportional Braking was not possible. Upgraded to the Pro version controller and the electrics are now tolerable. Comparing the two, the Air system works better for proportional braking if you use the right valve. The Jury is still out on the electrics. I had a hexx of time, to put it mildly, getting the electrics to brake evenly (w/o throwing the jet sideways). Next jet will be with air. That being said, I have tried several air brake valves. The only one that really works well is the UP 6 and believe me, I tried them all. Folks that are not using the UP6 don't know what they are missing. Given the 4 ranges of braking, it seems to provide very smooth proportional braking. Can't go wrong with air and a UP6.

Last edited by Len Todd; 12-23-2017 at 07:36 AM.
Old 12-23-2017, 05:52 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by blainer48
Dansy, are you talking about air or electric set up?

Jason
Both are Electric, my 4 current jets are Electric.....