Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Bvm p.n.p. cougar

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Bvm p.n.p. cougar

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 05:55 PM
Dblex
My Feedback: (81)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good feedback...

Either one of you using the stock spark servos? they seem to be eating up allot of MAH on the bench....???? Using Jeti Lion packs..
Old 10-02-2018, 06:19 AM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

We are using the stock servos on the PNP Cougar. It is now a couple years old and still flys great. We do have occasional issues with the Brushless servos not initialized properly and they sit and buzz. Cycle the power and they work fine.. Still no idea why this happens. We are running 2 2200 Life packs on rx and haven't noticed that we have excessive current draw.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:26 PM
Dblex

Originally Posted by quist
We are using the stock servos on the PNP Cougar. It is now a couple years old and still flys great. We do have occasional issues with the Brushless servos not initialized properly and they sit and buzz. Cycle the power and they work fine.. Still no idea why this happens. We are running 2 2200 Life packs on rx and haven't noticed that we have excessive current draw.

Good to know...thanks.

Single servo still on your elevator??
Old 11-01-2018, 12:50 AM
patrnflyr
My Feedback: (7)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, I ordered my new Cougar in mid September and was told by Patti that my new one would be in around mid December. Just received an email from her saying my plane is finished and already shipped. That’s 2 months early! Superb service and can’t wait to receive it. Will take pics when I open it up

Last edited by patrnflyr; 11-01-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Old 11-01-2018, 04:52 AM
Dblex

Congrats!!

let me know how you set up your air brakes and body flaps! I am out of channels and may need to use a Jr matchbox.. LMAO
Old 11-01-2018, 09:47 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

I put a 20 channel Spektrum radio setup in mine with the AS3000 gyro module. Haven't gotten to fly it yet, but it's a gorgeous model.

Last edited by Zeeb; 11-01-2018 at 09:52 AM.
Old 11-01-2018, 01:31 PM
patrnflyr

I plan to use the same setup.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:43 AM
Dblex

Default CG question

Sorry it’s been a while on my Cougar update! Today I made an attempt to balance her. I had surgery in January and have limits on what I can lift so I thought I would go a little old school and see if I can get the Cougar balanced safely without hurting myself. Please take a look and tell me what you think. It only needed 6.1oz but that seems to be right on the money. I personally like it a little more nose heavy myself. Maybe another oz or two...

Let me know your thoughts. I used a pulley system to reduce the weight on my part and used the front carbon spar for leverage since it is marked right on the CG. If this won’t work let me know.

On another note, I felt sorry for myself and posted her for sale but I am having second thoughts..

Last edited by Dblex; 03-03-2019 at 09:53 AM.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:54 PM
Dblex

Default Maiden Complete!

Maiden flight a success!!! Still trying to get used to the "scale" jet feel. Definitely feels different than any sport jet I have owned. Everything was set up per the BVM manual except for the expo. I put -40% expo (Futaba) in for the maiden flight. Kinda glad I did since I was a nervous wreck! Its been over a year since I have gotten the chance to fly anything. So I can safely say the 40% expo saved me!!!

(All throws, flaps, brakes set to BVM manual)

Lessons Learned:

Don't maiden with a cross wind~ On take off I over corrected and almost scrapped a wingtip.
CG as per manual, low rates felt mushy on the elevator. Not sure if it was the 40% expo or me. Just felt like I was giving more than I should (again sport jet to scale jet difference????)
Only 1 click down elevator and 3 clicks left aileron and she was flying straight and true. felt good at cruising speeds and during high speed passes.
I made a mistake mixing the elevator and flaps on take off flaps and landing flap settings. Manual says 1/6 up and 3/16 up. I had it reversed for some reason and had down mixed in. I could really feel this on landing as I seemed to be giving 1/2 elevator on approach. At first I thought I didn't have enough until I was going through the whole jet manual settings and found my mistake. I don't think the 40% expo helped that situation either. But I wanted to be clear and transparent since this wasn't a jet issue, it was pilot/setup error.
INSTALL THE WINGTIP SKIDZ! On landing I over corrected again and scrapped a wing. SKIDZ saved me. (need to soften the nose steering I guess)
4 mins with a Kingtech 140G2 and one go around with a dirty pass and I landed with about an inch of fuel left in the main tank. I know I did 2 circuits with the plane dirty and then went wheels up. I felt like I spent a majority of the time at 60% or so with only a few full throttle passes. Then again, I was a nervous wreck and kept the power on the test flight.

Not really fair feedback since my expo was cranked up and my elevator was mixed wrong. Just a few lessons learned to share with others.

Otherwise she handles amazing. Floats in nice and slow and just all around feels good in the air. She was for sale but not anymore. I want to get her set up just right.
Also, had a BVM rep reach out to me on FB and mentioned the body flaps really like to pitch the nose down. Make sure you mix the elevator / flaps correctly!!!! LMAO!

Last edited by Dblex; 06-02-2019 at 07:29 PM.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:01 PM
patrnflyr

Glad the maiden went well. It’s a great flying plane and the ONLY plane I’ve bought twice.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:07 PM
Dblex

Has anyone added ordinance to the BVM Cougar?
Old 10-20-2019, 04:38 PM
flyloose

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What does the Cougar have in terms of lights? I see the landing lights on both main gear struts, typical navigation lights in each wing tip....I think I see a white strobe on the top of the vertical stab (or is it the red beacon light?)...
Any other lights?

I want to outfit my (non BVM) Cougar with lights....nice little scale detail
Old 10-20-2019, 04:51 PM
Dblex

That is correct. Landing lights on gear, wingtip markers and strobes, white strobe on rudder, red beacon on bottom.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:59 AM
flyloose

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the info
Old 10-21-2019, 06:01 AM
patrnflyr

The white strobe light on the rudder isn’t on the top but about 3/4 of the way up on the leading edge. I haven’t thought about ordinance since most of these are in trainer schemes. I have seen a skymaster plane with fuel tanks and a couple of air to air missiles but that’s about it.

Last edited by patrnflyr; 10-21-2019 at 06:06 AM.