RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Is Hobbico going out of Business?

Old 02-03-2018, 07:38 PM
henry finley

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What is a quad?
Old 02-03-2018, 08:10 PM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by henry finley View Post
What is a quad?
LOL! You old man!
Old 02-04-2018, 04:11 AM
FenderBean

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Times do change and so does our hobby, the fact people become set in their ways and show dislike to new things showing up at the field has always been and will continue to be an issue. It’s human nature to resist change, but to survive in any business it must grow and continue to be relevant to the market. I cant count the number of old hobby shops that I walked into with old out dated items on the shelves that will never sell. The shops ultimately closed down from lack of customers, which are still there, they’re just buying stuff they want from places that sell it. Most of us have out grown the traditional hobby shop due to our jets or large airplanes but Hobbico obviously doesn’t have any business strategy or proper management to have that kind of debt.

As someone that sells a small selection of rc related items it’s very eye opening. There is very little demand and literally no profit, most people wouldn’t waste their time. The only reason I do it is because it’s part of my hobby and I’m bringing in new things that I think are good for the hobby, but I think cost of living and pricing has killed the hobby as well.

Last edited by FenderBean; 02-04-2018 at 04:30 AM.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:25 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I still like to build. I would like to build a composite bandit some day soon!
Old 02-04-2018, 03:00 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, let's get going Dr:Cito, my next balsa build jet is going to start in March
Old 02-04-2018, 03:56 PM
dionysusbacchus

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey builders! Got some great kits here: Lasercut RC kits AW Laserdesign

1/3 scale Albatros in wood anyone! Even an F-18! Man, lots of cool stuff, got to finish my 1/4 scale balsa F-104 first.

Keep the faith my fellow balsa bashers! And just keep the turbines coming!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00541c.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	445.8 KB
ID:	2253486  
Old 02-04-2018, 04:56 PM
CARS II

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I will check your site.
Old 02-04-2018, 07:56 PM
R.Rink

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It was interesting that the latest AMA mag had an article called, "As Clubs Mature". The local club here is in decline, maybe for several reasons, but the two main ones are that they are not inclusive and it is also authoritarian. I found that out by trying to get a simple rule change, ended up having to give up and quit myself. The last straw was an email formatted in a way with ALL CAPS IN THE CENTER PARAGRAPH TELLING US WHAT WE WERE NOT TO DO!!!

Anyway, change is inevitable, it's also inevitable that old brains don't like change. I just hope the AMA can win the next round to keep the special rule for model aircraft. Guess I am being old wanting to keep my planes until I die. LOL!
Get over it ! Old men.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:18 PM
CARS II

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Out of the dozen or so clubs that I can get to within an hour from home I'll have say that all but one are open to suggestions, are sensitive to the member's needs and there is an immense amount of respect between officers and members.
The one club that has been reluctant to change is changing slowly whether they like it or not, time doesn't wait for anyone, the old guard is slowly passing away and the new, more energetic young new members are replacing them, I have seen the process happening within the las decade.

Change is inevitable, it is happening right now, get with the program or be left behind .

( no insult intended )

Last edited by CARS II; 02-04-2018 at 10:23 PM.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:31 PM
Halcyon66

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Alot of those kits look like they are from Petr at

Home | The RC custom jets

Regards,
Old 02-05-2018, 07:10 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by CARS II View Post
Well, let's get going Dr:Cito, my next balsa build jet is going to start in March

Lets do it!
Old 02-05-2018, 01:46 PM
jetmaven

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The R/C Custom Jets website is just mind blowing .
Old 02-07-2018, 03:32 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Not to try taking this thread back on topic, but since everything I just looked for at Tower was on backorder with no imminent delivery time, can anyone say "Chapter 7"?
Old 02-07-2018, 07:43 PM
dionysusbacchus

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Feds investigating Hobbico over deferred employee stock payments

Feds investigating Hobbico over deferred employee stock payments | News-Gazette.com
Old 02-07-2018, 10:03 PM
Halcyon66

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would say they would all be on notice, interest rates are going up and the days of free money are over.

How does hobbico get 100 to 500 mil in liabilities, easy money and bad management.

Regards,
Old 02-07-2018, 10:54 PM
Boomerang1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

As someone that sells a small selection of rc related items it’s very eye opening. There is very little demand and literally no profit, most people wouldn’t waste their time.
Well you won't be stocking the Solarfilm range of products.

They recently announced that due to falling demand their business is no longer viable & the're closing shop.
Old 03-04-2018, 02:36 PM
xplayer930

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Having heard through my LHS tower was going bust I had to go online and search it for myself. Being a millennial (32yrs old), I have been in and out of the hobby since age 8. I gotta be brutally honest, the technology is seriously lacking. You can't purchase a 6 or 8 channel radio with a touch screen, everything seems so dated. Only way to do so is spend thousands on a 18 channel system. Like others have mentioned the cost of many of the products is sky high and made in China.

Returning back to cost, majority of my age group would rather take a vacation then spend 2-3K on a plane or helicopter (myself included). Unfortunately the hobby has gotten way to expensive.
Old 03-04-2018, 02:56 PM
skunkwurk
My Feedback: (18)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by xplayer930 View Post
Having heard through my LHS tower was going bust I had to go online and search it for myself. Being a millennial (32yrs old), I have been in and out of the hobby since age 8. I gotta be brutally honest, the technology is seriously lacking. You can't purchase a 6 or 8 channel radio with a touch screen, everything seems so dated. Only way to do so is spend thousands on a 18 channel system. Like others have mentioned the cost of many of the products is sky high and made in China.

Returning back to cost, majority of my age group would rather take a vacation then spend 2-3K on a plane or helicopter (myself included). Unfortunately the hobby has gotten way to expensive.
You don't have to spend $2-3K on an airplane or helicopter to get into the hobby. Can you? Yes. But you can certainly make the choice to buy what you need vs what you want. It's very easy and doable to buy an entry level airplane at a reasonable cost. The more advanced the model, the more you should expect to pay, just like anything else. Some of the more advanced models will require more capability in order to adequately setup the program for it. That is when it starts to become more of a "must have" vs "nice to have". That still does not mean you have to buy the top of the line radio. For example, a Futaba 18sz is practically as capable as a 18mz. Touch screen is a "nice to have" but completely unnecessary. If you don't need 18 channels, the 14sg is also capable & a very good option @ 20% of the cost of an 18mz. So it's really a matter of being a little pragmatic and making sound buying choices vs breaking the bank just to store it in the closet. If and when a serious modeler wants or needs to upgrade, the options are there.

Last edited by skunkwurk; 03-04-2018 at 03:29 PM.