RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JR/Spek Satellite Rx Question??

Old 01-11-2018, 05:18 PM
Shaun Evans

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default JR/Spek Satellite Rx Question??

Hi Guys,

I have a question regarding JR/Spek satellite receivers. I already know that 36" is the longest lead they offer for the satellite, but what is the maximum safe distance for a satellite to be placed from the 'main' receiver? I talked to Horizon, but the guy sounded like he didn't really know beyond the verbiage on their site, which he read to me over the phone.

What is the nature of the limitation? What might mitigate it, allowing a satellite to be placed twice that distance from the main receiver?

If I'm using a 1222 rx with 4 satellites, and TWO of them are shielded/blocked from the Tx signal during flight, will their communication loss cause a hold/failsafe condition?

Thanks in advance for any informed information!
Old 01-11-2018, 05:26 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The answer to the lead length question can be answered if you buy one of the leads that lets you convert the tiny wires in the satellite leads to servo leads. I believe the restriction was due to wire size as I've seen posts of guys going 48" without issue.

You get fades when an rx is blocked, you have to get all four blocked for 45 frames to get a hold.

Make sure you don't try to use any DSM2 satellites and you could probably go ask Andy on RCGroups.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:05 PM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I used 48 in my FB Mug 21 with no probem
Old 01-12-2018, 04:22 AM
Shaun Evans

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by tp777fo View Post
I used 48 in my FB Mug 21 with no probem
Hi,

Two questions: How did you extend it out that far (what leads did you use)? How are you measuring 'no problem', by the number of fades you logged or?

Thanks!
Old 01-12-2018, 04:27 AM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I purchased 3 rolls of JR receiver wire. (prob from 72mhz days) It is the same gauge as the satellite leads. I think any high quality multistranded copper wire of at least the same size would work. I just soldered them together.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:43 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (47)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have also created a longer lead by splicing servo wire in between the two plugs. I didn't want to pay the ridiculous price they wanted for a longer lead, so made my own. I never looked at the frame rates, but never had an issue, and always did a preflight on all of the receiver lights. I did this on my F18. Difficult to have visible satellite receivers in that jet, because everything is buried. I am not an electronics guy, but truly think that the signals are traveling so fast, that I bet you could make a lot longer lead then even 48 inches and it would work. You have to realize that the longer leads has a smaller market share with the bigger planes. Most glow, or small gas from 26cc and up to even 100cc just doesn't need a lead over 36 inches. So, they don't make it or test it. I also feel that Spektrum does a lot of R&D in the field from issues I have seen helping over the years with guys who fly it. Was a hard JR guy for 10 years too from the 9303 to the 12X. Spektrum came along as the Chevy to JR being the Cadillac. I wouldn't and don't trust Spektrum, and hence why I am not a customer of theirs and switched brands when I decided to let JR go as my radio system.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:04 AM
Len Todd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have used long (e.g. 36") extensions before. I did NOT have any problems (i.e. a problem for me being the number of fades on one remote significantly increasing in comparison to the other Remotes).

Fade = Main unit is unable to decode a frame from a Remote causing the unit to switch to decoding the same frame from the next Remote.
Frame Loss = The main unit is unable to decode the same frame from all of the Remotes.
Hold = The main unit is unable to decode 45 sequential frames.

In order to arm a Rxer with remotes, the main unit needs a certain number of remotes working (e.g. AR 9020 needs two of it's three working to arm.) But once it is armed, if a remote RXer fades (i.e. it's packet unable to be decoded), the unit keeps working until it sees 45 sequential Frame Losses and registers a Hold.

Most newer Spektrum Transmitters and the newer Rxers provide telemetry data at the Transmitter. After an initial flight, I check for fades and reposition Remotes that give extreme number of fades (e.g. three times higher than the others two or three remotes.) I have only seen one Frame Loss, w/o a hold too, in 6 years of flying jets and giants, and at times I get my planes way out there.The only holds I have seen have been on crashes. Point being, if your seeing frame losses, its time to figure out what needs to be changed. Holds can be rather unforgiving.

Last edited by Len Todd; 01-12-2018 at 05:06 AM.