Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Inverted 45 degree cg test

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Inverted 45 degree cg test

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 11:55 AM
JoelP
My Feedback: (20)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Inverted 45 degree cg test

Do rc jets respond the same as prop models when testing the cg after pulling to 45 and roĺling inverted?
Old 04-23-2018, 12:27 PM
why_fly_high
My Feedback: (19)

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Depends on the jet. My experience is that most jets don't have symmetrical airfoils and I don't like to run the cg as far aft on my jets as I do my prop planes. it will get you close and is a valid check but you may not get it to be perfect like you might a prop plane.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:08 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by why_fly_high
Depends on the jet. My experience is that most jets don't have symmetrical airfoils and I don't like to run the cg as far aft on my jets as I do my prop planes. it will get you close and is a valid check but you may not get it to be perfect like you might a prop plane.
I agree in general, but it will give you an indication if you're way off. For example, on my new TopRC Cougar, I put the CG just a tad in front of where the manufacturer said, to be safe. I did this test and I had to add "gobs" of forward stick to maintain the line. I wound up removing around 3-4 oz. of lead from the nose, moving the CG back by around 3/4" and it flys *much* better. Its still a bit nose heavy using that test, but as you said, I generally don't go as far back on jets - especially scale jets.

Bob
Old 04-23-2018, 05:54 PM
jsnipes
My Feedback: (3)

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

It’s one of my primary methods of checking CG ... I like to have to breath just a tiny bit of down elevator to hold the 45 deg inverted upline.

Every jet I’ve ever had has started nose heavy based on manufacturer reccomended CG. To me, nothing flies worse than a nose heavy jet.

Best of luck ...

JS
Old 04-23-2018, 07:19 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jsnipes
It’s one of my primary methods of checking CG ... I like to have to breath just a tiny bit of down elevator to hold the 45 deg inverted upline.

Best of luck ...

JS
+1, but flying a tail heavy scale jet is a bunny hop waiting to happen.....

Cheers,

JanR
Old 04-24-2018, 07:06 AM
Dieselman1220
My Feedback: (25)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It is one way to help for sure but keep certain things in mind.
The big one being expo on your elevator. About a year ago a buddy of mine test flew a new bobcat. After landing and conducting the "inverted test"
He claimed he needed to hold about 50% down so the airplane must be way too nose heavy and was about to start shifting batteries.
I then asked him how much elevator expo he's running. After looking in his radio he claimed 45%, and asked me what relevance that had to CG.
His CG was ok still required some tweaking but not to the extent he was about to do. Expo can mask some potential issues this being one of them.
I do use expo in conjunction with flight modes, but rarely run over 15% on a surface.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:54 AM
why_fly_high
My Feedback: (19)

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

To me, nothing flies worse than a nose heavy jet.

Best of luck ...

JS
One thing is worse than a nose heavy jet.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:32 AM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JoelP
Do rc jets respond the same as prop models when testing the cg after pulling to 45 and roĺling inverted?
Yes. I systematically test all my prototypes of jet power hobby models, flying targets and UAVs with this method. It is part of our test flight program.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:33 AM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Every jet I’ve ever had has started nose heavy based on manufacturer reccomended CG. To me, nothing flies worse than a nose heavy jet.

Best of luck ...

JS
Then, you should try our Crusader...
Old 04-24-2018, 02:06 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Dieselman1220
I do use expo in conjunction with flight modes, but rarely run over 15% on a surface.
Depending on the model and how quickly it responds to control inputs, I probably use more expo than most guys and this flying inverted thing always made me nervous as it seemed like it took a bunch of down elevator to keep it level. I told a friend about it one day while we were setting up a new model. I expressed my feelings about being inverted, he took my radio, some quick clicking and beeping noises and he handed it back to me with a "try that".

I was amazed at how much more comfortable it was to fly inverted. I looked at the settings when I landed and he'd increased the deflection rate and decreased the expo on the down elevator. That was all it took So when guys say don't overlook the small stuff, they know where of they speak....

Last edited by Zeeb; 04-24-2018 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:08 PM
Viper1GJ

Received 330 Likes on 217 Posts

I test all my new jets with this method. I learned it 20+ years ago when starting with aerobatic planes for IMAC.
My technique is slightly different as I establish the 45° upline and roll inverted and then let go hands off. Then I observe the flight path. Its subjective but if it pitches toward the canopy its probably too nose heavy. If it stays straight 45° up its probably a little tail heavy for me and may be a little pitchy and unstable on final. If it has a very gentle arc toward the canopy its probably close. Once I get the CG adjusted with the gentle arc, then further adjustments are after several approaches and landings to get performance I like.
Gary
Old 04-24-2018, 06:18 PM
Dieselman1220
My Feedback: (25)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeeb
Depending on the model and how quickly it responds to control inputs, I probably use more expo than most guys and this flying inverted thing always made me nervous as it seemed like it took a bunch of down elevator to keep it level. I told a friend about it one day while we were setting up a new model. I expressed my feelings about being inverted, he took my radio, some quick clicking and beeping noises and he handed it back to me with a "try that".

I was amazed at how much more comfortable it was to fly inverted. I looked at the settings when I landed and he'd increased the deflection rate and decreased the expo on the down elevator. That was all it took So when guys say don't overlook the small stuff, they know where of they speak....
Glad to hear, the other area where it bites people is on the base to final turn while slow (landing) with a crosswind pushing the model behind you.
The model begins to drift behind the flight line the pilot in an effort to get back on the center line pulls harder than usual on the elevator. Then bam
the model suddenly snaps over on its back (accelerated stall) and ends up in the dirt.
Then usually the pilot exclaims to not understand what happened, the model was not flying slow enough to stall.
1. Bank angle increases stall speed increases.
2. That 50% expo bit. The pilot pulled on the elevator but due to the crosswind and the model drifting pulled quicker and probably harder than usual
due to the high amount of expo the elevator, the elevator came in harder and more sudden thus causing the accelerated stall (also called tip stall or snap spin by some)
Unfortunately Ive seen in happen more than once.
Expo is a great tool, it would just behoove people to have a little better understanding of what exactly it does. Especially on the ever critical elevator.
It is much more forgiving on the other surfaces.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:36 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

IMHO Jets should optimize the cg setting for landings and skow speed handling, wich are the most critical and demanding parts of the flight, and not for acrobatics.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:29 AM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

Right on Dieselman! See it myself.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:30 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Besides the 45 degrees angle, which I figured out is only used to give a bad pilot with a nose heavy airplane time to react to the plane diving upside down, verses level inverted flight. I look at the elevators, if there is any detectable elevator out of center when sitting on the ground with the power "on", I make adjustments. Some scale planes/jets are hard to see any difference. If you have up elevator, nose is heavy, down elevator, tail heavy. I also look at the knife edge flight. Same thing; tucks to the gear, tail heavy, pulls to the canopy, nose heavy. Works for me. You can't properly trim a plane/jet until the Flight CG is established.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:16 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Glad to hear, the other area where it bites people is on the base to final turn while slow (landing) with a crosswind pushing the model behind you.
The model begins to drift behind the flight line the pilot in an effort to get back on the center line pulls harder than usual on the elevator. Then bam
the model suddenly snaps over on its back (accelerated stall) and ends up in the dirt.
Then usually the pilot exclaims to not understand what happened, the model was not flying slow enough to stall.
Yeah I garbage bagged a Shockwave doing that even knowing that it was heavy as not much fuel had been burned off. I always flew a pattern as I'm also a full scale guy and it gives me a pretty consistent sight picture for the approach at different fields.

However, after that rather nasty spending experience, I started watching the turbine guys more closely while they were landing. Almost without exception, they fly a 180 degree turn from downwind to final. That eliminates the corners of a pattern approach with a pretty much continuous load on the wings and, if you want to keep that puppy in tight, that's also possible with the appropriate technique be it a higher G, power on tight turn, or what we used to call a "Forrest Service Approach" in the full scale stuff. Due to the short, narrow fields in canyons where the Forrest Service has landing strips, the common approach is a 180 degree slip. Works great in a full scale and you can do it with a model. But watch the ones with swept wings, the more wing sweep, the less tolerant they are of doing slips....
Old 04-25-2018, 10:48 AM
jsnipes

Lol! Not every manufacturer is at your level of detail, knowledge, and professionalism! JS

Originally Posted by olnico
Then, you should try our Crusader...
Old 04-25-2018, 10:52 AM
jsnipes

I judge based on hands off behavior on 45 deg inverted upline. Not how much elevator STICK movement is required.

Of course this is only one of many things done when initially tuning my jets. It’s close after a flight or two but I’d say on average it’s 20-25 flights before it’s like I want it.

JS

It is one way to help for sure but keep certain things in mind.
The big one being expo on your elevator. About a year ago a buddy of mine test flew a new bobcat. After landing and conducting the "inverted test"
He claimed he needed to hold about 50% down so the airplane must be way too nose heavy and was about to start shifting batteries.
I then asked him how much elevator expo he's running. After looking in his radio he claimed 45%, and asked me what relevance that had to CG.
His CG was ok still required some tweaking but not to the extent he was about to do. Expo can mask some potential issues this being one of them.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:23 AM
JoelP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the replies.