Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

what would you do?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

what would you do?

Old 01-12-2018, 07:22 AM
warbirdking

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what would you do?

so i purchased a jet from a very well know jet company, that i have bought many jet related items from over the years. So i purchased the jet and was told through email that it would be delivered by end of dec or beginning of jan. called last month to inquire on it and was told it would be end of feb now. was also told they never said end of dec or beginning of jan. I emailed them back the original email they sent me with the quote and the time frame in which i was to receive the jet. Now they say....well they have to build the jet and send it from germany. i've bought many jets before but never waited this long before and i have already purchased the full amount..they are the only company that deals with this specific jet that i want so trying to deal with another company is not an option....so...what would you do?
Old 01-12-2018, 07:27 AM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess it all depends on how bad you want this jet. You've got two options, wait it out or cancel the order.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:29 AM
marc s

Wait, they have you by the goolies but I doubt once you do finally get the jet that you will be disappointed.

marcs
Old 01-12-2018, 08:03 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by warbirdking
so i purchased a jet from a very well know jet company, that i have bought many jet related items from over the years. So i purchased the jet and was told through email that it would be delivered by end of dec or beginning of jan. called last month to inquire on it and was told it would be end of feb now. was also told they never said end of dec or beginning of jan. I emailed them back the original email they sent me with the quote and the time frame in which i was to receive the jet. Now they say....well they have to build the jet and send it from germany. i've bought many jets before but never waited this long before and i have already purchased the full amount..they are the only company that deals with this specific jet that i want so trying to deal with another company is not an option....so...what would you do?
Sounds exactly like the experience I had with Tomahawk. I finally did get the model and it was really nice but I'll never deal with them again or their USA distributor.

As marc s' comment, there's really nothing you can do. I was told I had to wire the full amount in advance and when the money goes out that way, all you can do is cross your fingers.

Oh, for bcovish's suggestion; they told me I couldn't cancel the order and would not be given a refund.

Last edited by Zeeb; 01-12-2018 at 08:06 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:25 AM
warbirdking

before i purchased it was between 2 different jets and two different companies...if i would have know this i would have bought the other one.. but im sure once i get it like someone said...ill be very happy.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:54 AM
marc s

Guess the rub is do you want a mass produced thrown together jet immediately or something made to order from a company who obviously have a long line of customers waiting - the latter would suggest their kits are worth the wait....

marc
Old 01-12-2018, 10:16 AM
Steve Collins

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

What would I do? I would be patient. With the kind of weather we have around here you have a lot of building season to go before the weather moderates enough for a safe maiden flight of your new jet.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:50 AM
Auburn02
My Feedback: (1)

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by marc s
Guess the rub is do you want a mass produced thrown together jet immediately or something made to order from a company who obviously have a long line of customers waiting - the latter would suggest their kits are worth the wait....
While that does make perfectly good sense, it does not excuse the company's poor projection on completion and then blatantly lying about it.

Were I in the OP's shoes I would be patient and wait it out, and would chalk it up as a lesson learned on who not to do business with in the future.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:44 PM
speed is life

The other thing I would suggest is that AFTER you finally get your model, come back here and give feedback as to your total experience. Publishing names so that the next potential buyer will have a basis for a decision.
Keeping the names of businesses that tolerate poor customer service and support anonymous does not help the next customer.
- Mike
Old 01-12-2018, 02:02 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

+1
Old 01-12-2018, 02:25 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by marc s

marc
Well okay, let's get down to the nitty gritty a bit more shall we?

I was led to believe that the model was in stock and ready to ship. I was sent a bill for the whole thing with the directions for wiring a payment to Germany. After a month and I'd not heard anything I finally got ahold of them and was told the model would not even be produced for another four months. When I told them that I felt like I'd been cheated by being required to send the full payment for a model that did not even exist yet, he told me that I didn't have to pay the full amount, just 10% down. Funny thing is that offer appears no where in the paperwork for the model nor in the email exchanges I had with them over the matter.

Now would I pay someone full price in advance again? Depends on the Vendor; I gave EA the full price in advance for a Havoc SS but I'm sure I'll get it and I have a pretty good idea when it will be here which was all discussed in advance. Besides, I've bought stuff from EA before and trust them implicitly....
Old 01-12-2018, 02:51 PM
FenderBean

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

The paying full price upfront in my opinion is miss leading since the deposit always seems to be none refundable so unless you just want to say screw it and give them the deposit and walk away its really no different than just paying all up front. Plus the fact their cost to actually make the model is paid with the deposit they really don't have to rush. That being said I do think you should pay something down unless its an in stock item because i have seen a lot of hobby shop owners stuck with things they ordered and the customer just decided not to come back for it. Not much you can do, they will never refund u the money, my last order almost four months past the orig delivery time.
I do think sharing your experience with others is also a good thing, when this company starts getting a bad rap for not doing their part they will either fix the problem or lose business.
I mean heck with overseas companies like this other than we the people there is no better business to report to

Last edited by FenderBean; 01-12-2018 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:40 PM
warbirdking

the company originally asked for half upfront and the other half when it gets shipped on the boat. i paid the full amount anyway and they already sent me the landing gear. this company is huge and everyone i know in the us uses them for jet stuff related items(from what i have experienced) i dont mind being patient, i just dont like be lied too. and then told they never said the orginal shipping date was never "said" but re -emailed them there response and responded.....oh,well they have to build them..
Old 01-12-2018, 03:48 PM
warbirdking

being told end of feb when i will get the jet
Old 01-12-2018, 06:25 PM
sysiek
My Feedback: (176)

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Dream on have the same bad expiriance with this dealer end up with money return in form of check with actuall euro to dolar rate not happy camper hire.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:39 PM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

This is exactly why I refuse to buy something big like this from an overseas dealer. Way too many horror stories of things being sent WAY past the due date.

Regardless... good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:06 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

Im with Dr Honda 100%.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:04 AM
Halcyon66

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Cancelled two models that were meant to be ready to ship in Sept, this is after I had put an order in for them 1 yr before. No funds were exchanged, there was meant ot be a considerable downpayment in August but nothing was ever asked of me. Yet after multiple emails from Oct to Dec the only time the seller replies is when I cancelled the order in late Dec. This was the first time in almost 10 yrs I was going to buy something from Germany after getting screwed around and losing $$ for years. I can guarantee that I will get an email in the coming months offereing me a "deal" as I am sure like me many others have dropped out and they will not sell enough to make it all worth the effort.

I find it pointless to deal with anyone unless they have them in stock and ready to go, even then you can get screwed around. Over the last 10+ years I found it was much less stress and hassle just to custom build you own stuff, may cost a little more but you have what YOU want, have less issues and you learn alot more.

Regards,
Old 01-13-2018, 03:35 AM
MaJ. Woody
My Feedback: (28)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So who are we dealing with here? You guys have done a great job of being elusive in an attempt to not be seen as bashers but if we knew who you guys were buying from it might save us the same fate. I understand if you don't want to disclose however.
Thanks,
Old 01-13-2018, 04:14 AM
Halcyon66

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Simply because the moment you mention a name then it becomes a turkey shoot. One group after another will chime in and you don't know if they are agents/friends/resellers and the whole thread becomes a mess. So when you taking about top german manufacturers there are really only a few and in most cases their delievery issues have already been addressed previously on other threads.

Bottom line is just don't send a $ OS unless your prepared for the potential delay/downside.

Regards,
Old 01-13-2018, 06:51 AM
warbirdking

i will say once i get the jet...its not the actually builder of the jet though...i personally think the manufacturer of the jet is not at fault..its the major distributor that carries the jet...it was the only distributor of this brand of jet.. i tried to deal directly with the manufacturer but didn't seem possible. it would have been much more expensive.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:30 AM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

This kind of thing stinks to high heaven. It's our collective fault, though, right? Once we ceded our entire hobby to the Chinese ARF industry, this business model came with it. 'Pay up front and cross your fingers.' What if every one of us just made a collective pact to never again pay more than a 50% deposit and even then, totally refundable if the company misses a mutually agreed-upon deadline? Let THAT be the industry standard instead of this nonsense we have now??
Old 01-13-2018, 09:10 AM
marc s

Interesting so the company is not the one I was thinking of as they do deal direct............

Never having bought a jet from BVM back in the day were they 'in stock' and available to ship off the shelf? I'm doubtful, companies who can afford to stack them high with a hope they will sell them are unlikely to be about for long IMO, the only companies who seem to be able to do this are the Chinese and for me the compromise in quality is just not worth the convenience of having one sent immediately.

In the UK we have fields in Scotland rammed with 'brand new' Fords etc, sitting out in the weather and being sold as new - heck I'd rather wait for 6 months and buy a car that has been made to order and is indeed new.

Shaun I'm with you on some aspects, problem is this hobby is struggling big time, the companies who do make great kits and products wont be about if they manufacture loads of stock in the hope they sell it, demand is so unpredictable and just cannot be relied on, the result will be more companies disappearing off the scene leaving us with mass produced sub standard products. I would like companies to be more transparent and honest in the communication piece, its always pays to be up front and honest. A long time back I made a kit with a friend, each one was hand made by ourselves, we had a 3 month lead time at the start but soon after we started to get orders and ship the first kits we were let down by the company who finished and painted the kits which resulted in delays while we sourced a new paint shop to do the work to the standard we wanted, other issues with epoxy, landing gear manufacture etc all added huge headaches to the whole project and ultimately let to us selling the moulds to a German company. I hope that during the time we were selling the kits we kept our customers informed and up to date with the time frames so they could relax in the knowledge that they were valued and we were not just making off with their money - its not a fun journey making jets I can assure you and as a result of this 'experience' I admire any individual or company who enter this job purely for the hobby side.

Maybe a thread with a list of manufacturers, their payment terms, quoted lead times/actual experienced lead time and customer feedback might be a good data set to help us all.....

marcs
Old 01-13-2018, 11:00 AM
rcflyguy_26

Before to long you won't be able to get an expensive jet that is in stock at all... too much overhead just waiting for a sale.

Made to order will become the norm in a few years. It has already started with some jet companies.

I waited 8 weeks for my T-3. One good thing about it, I was able to make s couple of small changes that didn't cost me a dime.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:28 AM
FenderBean

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

I think it would be nice if we all just stop excepting standards that are not up to our standard. It may ruffle a lot of feathers but thats why I always post the good and the bad in my builds. If I can stop someone else from getting the short end of the sticks or paying thousands of dollars for something they are not happy with then my struggle is worth it and besides I really couldnt care how but hurt someone is that has gotten rich off us and continues to do bad work for a premium. Thats why I only sell things that are good quality I don't want to be associated with something that isnt good for the hobby and top quality. Luckily some new companies are coming along with better things and I will have no reason to deal with sub standard products. When it comes to a business your word is your bond and your product should be the best you can do.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.