Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Insurance cost for turbine flying in your country:

RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Insurance cost for turbine flying in your country:

Old 01-13-2018, 07:06 AM
erbroens

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Insurance cost for turbine flying in your country:

Hello guys, I am curious if your local club demands some kind of insurance for turbine flying and how much it costs yearly.

Asking this because in Brazil the yearly compulsory insurance of our national modeler association more than doubled: From $53 u.s. dollars in 2017 to $125 in 2018.
The liability coverage is $93,000 u.s. dollars. I know that in the last two decades, nothing special happened with turbine jets in this place, like a big crash, fire or death. Just the opposite, the jets seems to be some of the best cared and operated models around. So I am wondering if our insurance policy is average or not compared with other countries in the world. Thanks!
Old 01-13-2018, 10:13 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by erbroens View Post
Hello guys, I am curious if your local club demands some kind of insurance for turbine flying and how much it costs yearly.

Asking this because in Brazil the yearly compulsory insurance of our national modeler association more than doubled: From $53 u.s. dollars in 2017 to $125 in 2018.
The liability coverage is $93,000 u.s. dollars. I know that in the last two decades, nothing special happened with turbine jets in this place, like a big crash, fire or death. Just the opposite, the jets seems to be some of the best cared and operated models around. So I am wondering if our insurance policy is average or not compared with other countries in the world. Thanks!
In the US, the Academy of Model Aeronautics provides a $2.5 million dollar insurance policy for all members. There is no additional charge for jet turbine models. AMA membership is $75 per year.

It should be noted that the AMA liability insurance is secondary to whatever home-owners or renters insurance you might have. That means that your personal insurance pays first and then the AMA insurance kicks in, if necessary. For me personally, I have a $1M "umbrella" policy to provide extra coverage for my family in case something happens. I believe that costs around $350 annually.

Bob
Old 01-14-2018, 02:25 AM
oliveDrab

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by rhklenke View Post
In the US, the Academy of Model Aeronautics provides a $2.5 million dollar insurance policy for all members. There is no additional charge for jet turbine models. AMA membership is $75 per year.
Bob
But you must obtain a turbine waiver for the AMA insurance to be in effect while flying a turbine jet in the U.S. Right Bob? From Bruce Tharpe's website: "The AMA does provide liability protection for turbine pilots, but you must obtain a special waiver. " No waiver - no insurance I would assume.

Last edited by oliveDrab; 01-14-2018 at 02:28 AM.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:02 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by oliveDrab View Post
But you must obtain a turbine waiver for the AMA insurance to be in effect while flying a turbine jet in the U.S. Right Bob? From Bruce Tharpe's website: "The AMA does provide liability protection for turbine pilots, but you must obtain a special waiver. " No waiver - no insurance I would assume.
In US we are required to get a turbine waiver or basically demonstrate that we are able to successfully control the that type of aircraft and that we're familiar with the AMA safety codes associated with the safe operation of turbine powered models. I believe as long as you're following the AMA safety code while operating your model, you're protected by AMA's insurance which as was mentioned earlier is secondary to your own coverage. I think the statement that AMA does not provide insurance for turbine pilots is incorrect and all model aircraft types are covered as long as they meet and are operated within the constraints of the AMA Safety Code. So while the bottom line is probably the same (no waiver then no coverage for jets) it isn't really correct that the AMA doesn't provide insurance for turbine pilots. A turbine waiver isn't an additional insurance policy, it simply indicates that you have demonstrated you have the minimum skills and knowledge needed to operate a turbine powered model safely within the constraints of the AMA Safety Code which must be followed for ALL models in order to be covered by the AMA's liability insurance.

Last edited by wfield0455; 01-14-2018 at 05:06 AM.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:23 AM
erbroens

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Great info guys, thanks for the input! seems as usual that u.s. policies are very reasonable. Wonder how things are in other countries as well.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:40 AM
Dave Wilshere

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

25,000,000 GBP ($33 million USD) 3rd party for $45 a year in UK...

We have minimum certificates to allow public flying, all our JMA events require a minimum certificate which shows competence in flying to a reasonably high level, and now a good knowledge of safety code.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:47 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's similar in Canada. You will pay your club dues which of course vary from club to club but our national organization is MAAC. Our yearly membership is $80 Canadian (roughly 60USD) and is primary insurance. I can't remember for sure at the moment but I believe that gives us $2,000,000 in liability insurance. The laws in Canada pretty much limit us to flying at a maac sanctioned field here and the field sanction carries another 2 or 3 million in liability insurance. Our coverage also covers us at out of country events provided we are following maac rules or the foreign countries rules (whichever are the stricter of the 2. Example, we do not have a speed limit in Canada, however if flying in the USA we must adhere to the 200mph AMA limit. Since the 200mph limit is the stricter of the rules, AMA members flying at a Canadian event must continue to adhere to the 200mph limit despite there being no speed limit here)
Old 01-14-2018, 03:09 PM
Boomerang1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's hard to determine exactly how much we pay for insurance for all models (turbines included) in Australia
as the main national body, the MAAA (our AMA) has a club based structure meaning you have to join via
an affiliated club. The club fee is the MAAA fee plus what the club wants to charge for their membership.

There is a second nationally recognised group, basically a breakaway group of disgruntled MAAA members who have made their own insurance arrangements, I don't think they have any jet flyers.

A rough estimate would be about $65 US for MAAA membership who provide the insurance.

We have no turbine waivers. The MAAA appoints 'turbine inspectors' who are experienced turbine flyers
having built a number of jets & are conversant with the MAAA rules pertaining to turbines. Jets are
inspected & issued with a permit to fly for three years when they are re-inspected.

Last edited by Boomerang1; 01-14-2018 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:21 PM
erbroens

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks a lot guys, . Soon I will have a meeting with the local policy makers to discuss the subject and this info will be very helpful.

Great flights in 2018 for all,

Enrique.