Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

** Digitech Central Telemetric Unit for Jeti **

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

** Digitech Central Telemetric Unit for Jeti **

Old 11-11-2018, 03:47 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 330 Likes on 217 Posts

I got the CTU installed and downloaded the updates following the install-readmefirst! text. All the files are in the proper folders and the CTU took the firmware.sfw file from the SD card so I assume it took the update. I cant find anyway to verify the CTU version. Everything is displayed in the Device Explorer and all parameters are available to select in Displayed Telemetry.

The problem I had was getting the Lua screen to display. After a couple of hours of frustration I re-read post #140 above and finally figured out you have to go to Applications and activate the Lua program. Then you have to select the Lua in Displayed Telemetry menu. I would recommend adding an additional instruction in the intall-readmefirst! with this information about how to display the Lua screen. It would really help us Jeti and computer dummies.

The CTU seems to be working well on the bench. I will customize the selections next and then test. It looks really good, a very high quality telemetry addition.

Thanks,
Gary
Old 11-11-2018, 11:17 PM
Carsten Groen

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Gary,
if you go into "DeviceExplorer" and selects the CTU, you can press the "tools" button (screwdriver and wrench ).
Doing so, you can see the current version of the CTU firmware (in my case its 0.92)
PS: Thanks for the nice words on the CTU . I'm sure Sandor sees your message and will have a look on the LUA installation instructions
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
Screen004.bmp (225.1 KB, 82 views)
Screen005.bmp (225.1 KB, 32 views)
Screen006.bmp (225.1 KB, 31 views)
Old 11-12-2018, 06:54 AM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ww2birds
One additional fuel factor data point: JetCat P300 RX (internal valves, external pump) , v10 ECU. Fuel Factor 0.80

Dave
Been flying the large VJ with the P300. Looks like 0.8 is not a good factor when actually flying .. probably (as Carsten expected) closer to 1.0 which is the Jetcat default. I'll do some more measurements from actual flights and repost.

Tried to edit the original post but RCU won't let me .. maybe too long since posting.

Dave
Old 11-12-2018, 03:31 PM
Viper1GJ

I checked the update in the CTU and it says 0.91 so it took the update. Thanks for the help finding the update confirmation. All is ready for fuel measurements and calibration run. I started installing the Jeti radio system in my Avanti XXL with K-210/Xicoy ECU today. I will do the fuel measurements and calibration runs on both airplanes when the weather gets better here.
Thanks for the help,
Gary
Old 11-21-2018, 06:13 PM
Viper1GJ

I did the fuel calibration runs today on both Avanti XXL with K-210 G2 and Sabre XLT with K-210 Xicoy. Weather here was perfect. I filled and then de-fueled the tanks one liter at a time and marked the tanks. Both tanks were 4.5 liters.

I did the turbine runs and reset the fuel quantity at 1 liter. Then after the 2nd liter run the turbine was shut down and adjusted the fuel factor. I did another run on each jet and checked the fuel calculation and it was pretty close with only slight adjustment needed. I hope to fly both soon and get an operational look at the calculation. Overall I'm really impressed with the CTU and the data provided.

The only glitch I had was on the Avanti XXL with K-210 Xicoy ECU. The CTU kept going off line and then would restart during the runs. The red and blue lights never went off and other items in the Device Explorer never went off. The antennas and Qs were 100%. I rechecked all connections but all seemed good. The turbine continued to run with no issues. I'm not sure it had any effect on the fuel calculations or not.

Any idea why the CTU would keep dropping off and then come back on? What should I check?

Thanks,
Gary
Old 11-21-2018, 07:19 PM
warrenmiller11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so this unit does engine parameters, fuel consumption, altimeter and airspeed with g load all in one? compared to runing seperate fuel sensor, temps sensors, airspeed sensors this unit does it all in real time directly on a jeti ds24 screen?
Old 11-21-2018, 10:41 PM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Viper1GJ
I did the fuel calibration runs today on both Avanti XXL with K-210 G2 and Sabre XLT with K-210 Xicoy. Weather here was perfect. I filled and then de-fueled the tanks one liter at a time and marked the tanks. Both tanks were 4.5 liters.

I did the turbine runs and reset the fuel quantity at 1 liter. Then after the 2nd liter run the turbine was shut down and adjusted the fuel factor. I did another run on each jet and checked the fuel calculation and it was pretty close with only slight adjustment needed. I hope to fly both soon and get an operational look at the calculation. Overall I'm really impressed with the CTU and the data provided.

The only glitch I had was on the Avanti XXL with K-210 Xicoy ECU. The CTU kept going off line and then would restart during the runs. The red and blue lights never went off and other items in the Device Explorer never went off. The antennas and Qs were 100%. I rechecked all connections but all seemed good. The turbine continued to run with no issues. I'm not sure it had any effect on the fuel calculations or not.

Any idea why the CTU would keep dropping off and then come back on? What should I check?

Thanks,
Gary

i think what you are suffering from is loss of telemetric signal.
the Reverse signal from a receiver is only about 10% in strength from its TX signal.
i have the same sometimes , it does NOT influence the ctu calculations.
we had the same long time ago with drones , when we went above say 1000ft of flight it would lose the telemetric signal.
dont worry all fine.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:42 PM
digitech

Originally Posted by warrenmiller11
so this unit does engine parameters, fuel consumption, altimeter and airspeed with g load all in one? compared to runing seperate fuel sensor, temps sensors, airspeed sensors this unit does it all in real time directly on a jeti ds24 screen?
exept for Airspeed yes.

AND has 2 more extension ports for servo and or EX sensors.
Old 11-22-2018, 03:32 AM
F1 Rocket

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

The Digitech IAS can be plugged into one of the two EX Bus ports on the CTU.

https://www.aeropanda.com/products/sb-ias-speed-sensor

Danny
Old 11-22-2018, 03:35 AM
F1 Rocket

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by digitech
i think what you are suffering from is loss of telemetric signal.
the Reverse signal from a receiver is only about 10% in strength from its TX signal.
i have the same sometimes , it does NOT influence the ctu calculations.
we had the same long time ago with drones , when we went above say 1000ft of flight it would lose the telemetric signal.
dont worry all fine.

In Gary’s case he was at close range. Gary, please check that you have the latest FW on your receivers and Central Boxes.

Danny
Old 11-22-2018, 03:56 PM
warrenmiller11

does it work with twin turbine setup or do i need two like this?
Old 11-22-2018, 04:13 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

Need 2 for a twin setup......up to 4.....I’m just a user
Old 11-22-2018, 04:47 PM
warrenmiller11

thAnx
Old 11-22-2018, 07:15 PM
Viper1GJ

Originally Posted by F1 Rocket
In Gary’s case he was at close range. Gary, please check that you have the latest FW on your receivers and Central Boxes.
Danny
Hi Danny,
I updated every thing including the CTU prior to the install. I was sitting in front of the jet holding it when doing the calibration runs so transmitter was very close. I did have the GSU plugged in using a Y from the ECU during the runs. Not sure if that would make a difference. The telemetry drops were with the K-210 and Xicoy ECU. The K-210 G2 did not drop out during the test runs. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Gary
Old 11-25-2018, 07:03 PM
Viper1GJ

For anyone who is interested this is how I calibrated my fuel tanks.

I first filled up the tank and then pumped out one liter at at time using a graduated plastic container. After each liter was pumped out I marked the level in the tank. After the container had 2 liters in it I poured it back into the fuel jug and repeated until all the fuel was removed from the tank.

I then did the calibration test runs on the turbine like the CTU instructions specify. It was really not a difficult process. I'm looking forward to test flying both CTUs and refining the fuel factor.

Gary

Old 11-25-2018, 07:04 PM
Viper1GJ

Deleted, same post as above
Old 11-25-2018, 11:45 PM
digitech

thats also a way! perfect.
well done
Old 11-25-2018, 11:50 PM
digitech

totally forgot!
since Swiwin is Supported you all want to know how to connect it?
here is the Picture
make sure you upgrade your Swiwin ECU to the latest version
Old 11-26-2018, 07:22 AM
why_fly_high
My Feedback: (19)

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

One thing I've started doing that is much easier than all the measuring is I have a single Jeti Mflow. I put it in a new plane and use it for fuel telemetry with the engine telemetry as fuel back up. Within a few flights I can get the pump factor dialed in and take the mflow out and put it in the next plane for calibration.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:49 AM
Carsten Groen

Originally Posted by why_fly_high
One thing I've started doing that is much easier than all the measuring is I have a single Jeti Mflow. I put it in a new plane and use it for fuel telemetry with the engine telemetry as fuel back up. Within a few flights I can get the pump factor dialed in and take the mflow out and put it in the next plane for calibration.
That requires that the MFlow is calibrated in each plane also ?
(I would guess that the MFlow is not absolutely precise if moving from plane to plane with calibrating it "in the plane" ?)
Old 11-26-2018, 07:59 AM
why_fly_high

Originally Posted by Carsten Groen
That requires that the MFlow is calibrated in each plane also ?
(I would guess that the MFlow is not absolutely precise if moving from plane to plane with calibrating it "in the plane" ?)
The mflow does not need callibration. It is an actual flow meter. It is supposed to be accurate to 2%. You set the tank size and it will give you percent or you can just measure the amount of fuel has gone through it. You can even hook it up and turn the radio on and it run it in line of your fueler to measure how much fuel goes in to the plane. It has shown to be very accurate and really like it but don't want to buy one for each plane being that I am running either the Kingtech Telemetry or the CTU anyway and it isn't cheap.
Jeti Telemetry Sensor Fuel Flow MFlow2 Turbine T800 EX
Old 11-26-2018, 08:08 AM
Carsten Groen

Originally Posted by why_fly_high
The mflow does not need callibration. It is an actual flow meter. It is supposed to be accurate to 2%. You set the tank size and it will give you percent or you can just measure the amount of fuel has gone through it. You can even hook it up and turn the radio on and it run it in line of your fueler to measure how much fuel goes in to the plane. It has shown to be very accurate and really like it but don't want to buy one for each plane being that I am running either the Kingtech Telemetry or the CTU anyway and it isn't cheap.
Jeti Telemetry Sensor Fuel Flow MFlow2 Turbine T800 EX
OK, I would just have thought (based on my experience with the same sensor Jeti uses) that it would need to be calibrated from plane to plane (because of different back-pressure). But perhaps the setup in the planes are so much "the same" that it does not matter
Anyway, good way of doing it!
Old 11-26-2018, 12:47 PM
why_fly_high

I haven't had a chance to use my CTU yet. With he Kingtech V2 engines and the LUA will it give me kingtech error codes for bad start, speed low, etc?
Old 11-26-2018, 02:49 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

Wasn’t aware that the kingtech Telemetry had LUA.....the main reason I switch to CTU....of course now I like the CTU a lot more LOL

Care to share the KingTech LUA?
Old 11-26-2018, 04:15 PM
why_fly_high

Originally Posted by Dansy
Wasn’t aware that the kingtech Telemetry had LUA.....the main reason I switch to CTU....of course now I like the CTU a lot more LOL

Care to share the KingTech LUA?
if that is to me maybe I wasn’t clear. I meant with the CTU LUA will I get the error codes from the kingtech ecu?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.