Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

** Digitech Central Telemetric Unit for Jeti **

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

** Digitech Central Telemetric Unit for Jeti **

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 05:31 AM
Carsten Groen

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

"Trim low" etc are not avail from the JetCentral ECU (the JetCentral GSU deducts this automatically), I have not bothered doing this for the CTU as it is of not much use I think...
Old 03-03-2019, 05:07 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 330 Likes on 217 Posts

Will be test flying my two CTUs this month. I want to know how to adjust fuel factor to get best read out of fuel remaining.

If I land and CTU fuel says 30% remaining, but I measure the remaining fuel and it is 35%, do I raise or lower the fuel factor? Is there a rule of thumb about how much to change the fuel factor for a given % adjustment?

Thanks,
Gary
Old 03-03-2019, 11:03 PM
Carsten Groen

Gary,
what engine will you be running ?
I have two parameters in the CTU, "fuel factor" and "pump factor". Projet, JetCat and AMT uses "fuel factor" and the rest of the engines uses "pump factor".

Pump factor:
On most of the supported engines, you simply go into the menu of the CTU and adjust the pump factor live, you can then see the remaining fuel change while changing the pump factor
Basically, a higher pump factor will mean less fuel consumed (higher remaining fuel). The fuel remaining scales more or less with the pump factor, so if you double the pump factor value, you will have only half the consumption.

Fuel factor:
On the engines with "Fuel factor" (Projet, JetCat and AMT) the ECU calculates (at least tries to...) the consumed amount of fuel. However, this is not always calibrated or very precise (it will also change a little depending on the installation in your plane). The "Fuel factor" is simply multiplied with the fuel calculation from the ECU itself. The Fuel factor is a value from -5.00 to +5.00. If the ECU reports 25% too high consumption at the default fuel factor of +1.00, you set the fuel factor to +0.80 instead.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:02 PM
Viper1GJ

Carsten,
Thanks for your help.

The first two turbines I will fly with the CTU are are Kingtech 210s, one G1 and one G2. The third one which I have not set up yet is a B300F with Projet ECU. I hope to have the CTU in that one going by April.

So as I understand it...

For Pump Factor for the Kingtech turbines, if my shutdown fuel remaining shows 30% on the telemetry, but I actually measure it to be 35%, then I should decrease the pump factor. And the reverse if my shutdown fuel show 35% but it is actually 30% by measurement, then I should increase the pump factor.

For Fuel Factor on the Projet ECU B300F, if my shutdown fuel remaining shows 30% on the telemetry, but I actually measure it to be 35%, then I should increase the fuel factor. And the reverse if my shutdown fuel show 35% but it is actually 30% by measurement, then I should decrease the fuel factor.

OK, my brain is fried...is this correct?

Thanks, Gary
Old 03-04-2019, 11:49 PM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Gary
let me try to explain in a user way and not designer way hahahaha.
i use 210,s myself
basicly you leave the factor as is .
go fly.
when you land let turbine cool down, turn off.
do not turn of radio or ecu
go in menu if the ctu , to the fuel settings.
you can see live! The actual fuel used .
now if you change the pump factor it will change also the remaining fuel.
so just change the setting until it matches your remaining fuel.
thats it..
dont forget to save!
Old 03-04-2019, 11:52 PM
digitech

fuel setup
Old 03-05-2019, 05:10 PM
Viper1GJ

Sandor,
LOL, That was great. I got it now. That's why you are the designer and I just bang on it till it works! The video was perfect, exactly what I needed.
Looking forward to flying the CTU.
Thanks,
Gary
Old 03-06-2019, 12:37 AM
digitech

Originally Posted by Viper1GJ
Sandor,
LOL, That was great. I got it now. That's why you are the designer and I just bang on it till it works! The video was perfect, exactly what I needed.
Looking forward to flying the CTU.
Thanks,
Gary
no im not the designer , i just got the idea,s, the designers make it difficult for us users..
there is where i step in hahahaha.
but a video says more then a thousand words,,
if you have any questions just ask here , plenty of experience with kingtechs and jetcats.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:02 PM
Viper1GJ

Test flew my Avanti XXL today with DS-24. CTU, K-210 G1 with Xicoy ECU. After 4 flights I have adjusted the pump factor from .80 to .70 and now get near perfect fuel remaining %. Very nice to have near the end of the flight. I still use timer but as I get used to CTU fuel remaining I will probably become primary with timer backup just as in a real airplane.

I still am having CTU telemetry drop out during start up and shutdown. It seems to be ok when flying but intermittent when on the ground as in my post #155 above. Any ideas how to make it steady?

Also I would like to have voice call out for fuel remaining at 10% increments and if I want to query it by pressing the button on the back of the DS-24. Is there a way to do this like I can check battery capacity used when using an MUI on electric planes? I don't see anyway to do this.

Great device, Thanks,
Gary
Old 03-22-2019, 06:21 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

Test flew my Avanti XXL today with DS-24. CTU, K-210 G1 with Xicoy ECU. After 4 flights I have adjusted the pump factor from .80 to .70 and now get near perfect fuel remaining %. Very nice to have near the end of the flight. I still use timer but as I get used to CTU fuel remaining I will probably become primary with timer backup just as in a real airplane.

I still am having CTU telemetry drop out during start up and shutdown. It seems to be ok when flying but intermittent when on the ground as in my post #155 above. Any ideas how to make it steady?

Also I would like to have voice call out for fuel remaining at 10% increments and if I want to query it by pressing the button on the back of the DS-24. Is there a way to do this like I can check battery capacity used when using an MUI on electric planes? I don't see anyway to do this.

Great device, Thanks,
Gary
I'm guessing its connected in a CB's?

I had drop out as well, I talked to Aeropanda, and since I have the cortex pro with an additional power cable, As suggested, I connected the CTU into a REX receiver....instead of the CB200 (in my case) and the drop out seem to have stop still have snow on the ground..... I was told it was just a communication overload, rare but possible on the telemetry side with the ExBus, I guess it take a bit of brain power....
Old 03-22-2019, 06:25 PM
Viper1GJ

Dansy,
Thanks, yes its into a CB200 and a Cortex Pro. I'll try a REX tomorrow.

Any idea how to make the fuel remaining talk?

Thanks,
Gary
Old 03-23-2019, 03:05 AM
Dansy

Dansy,
Thanks, yes its into a CB200 and a Cortex Pro. I'll try a REX tomorrow.

Any idea how to make the fuel remaining talk?

Thanks,
Gary
I made it talk via the alarm, 40% and 30% could make them for the whole range... made my own wav file for that.....could also make talk on the a switch...it’s a sensor so anything that work with other sensors work with the CTU
Old 03-23-2019, 06:19 PM
Viper1GJ

Dansy, thanks for the info. I was only looking in the CTU app menu for the voice callouts. I never thought to look in the Alarms and Voice output. I use alarms and voice output to get capacity and volts from my MUIs on electrics, just never looked for the CTU sensors there also. Duuhhh. I'm pretty slow sometimes. I'll reconnect the CTU to a REX next week when I can get the jet back in the shop to try and eliminate the telemetry drop outs. Thanks for the tips.

I got 5 flights today on the Avanti XXL and its working great with countdown fuel remaining alarms and fuel remaining call outs whenever I press the buttons on the back of the DS-24. I've been able to increase my flight times with confidence in the fuel remaining for an additional 3 minutes. I love this this thing. Also fun to watch the G loads and altitudes.

Last edited by Viper1GJ; 03-23-2019 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:45 AM
Dansy

Viper, your welcome...sometime the obvious do elude me as well.....
Old 03-24-2019, 08:08 AM
Carsten Groen

Just a quick note for PowerBox CORE users stumbling over this thread, more info here:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...l#post12512663
Old 03-24-2019, 04:53 PM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Gary,

I wrote a Lua program to announce time and fuel remaining at :30 or :60 intervals or on a switch press. Yes, the TX can do the time announce itself :-) But I wanted fuel state and time to be announced together, More than happy to send it over to you if you want to play with it. It can also announce time to "bingo fuel" which is really helpful once you are confident in the telemetry calibration as you are. Lots of fun :-) Still too cold to fly here so I am envious of the guys already flying!

Over the winter I've been building a fueling station that measures the fuel put back into the plane after a flight -- mostly to confirm the telemetry readings. Of course if they disagree it will be fun to see which one is right. As a student, I was a summer intern at the nat'l bureau of standards temperature measurement lab .. we had a sign "the person with one thermometer always knows the temperature, the person with two thermometers is never sure" :-) I know VSpeak and Jetcat have such devices (I have the VSpeak one) but I wanted to build one on my own too. It's run from an iPhone over Bluetooth. But that's a long story.

I've also been refining a speed announcer that periodically announces the airspeed from the pitot-static system .. the trick here is to announce enough to be useful but no so much that it's too chatty or annoying, and to optionally make more frequent announcements when on final for landing. It looks at how much the speed has changed from the last announce. It can also do an autothrottle function (cruise control) insipred by what Carsten did on the ASSI device. I started it last fall and have not yet flown with it. The "interesting" issue is that telemetry does periodically drop out (easy to see in Jeti studio). The airspeed only has 2-3 1-2 second gaps in a typical flight, so I think it may work. We shall see. I think Carsten thinks I may have a screw loose to try to do speed reg from the TX :-)

If you don't find a simple way to do the "every 10%" some other way, let me know and I can modify the Lua code from time-based announcement to a percent basis.

Dave McQ
Old 03-24-2019, 09:46 PM
Carsten Groen

Originally Posted by ww2birds
Gary,

I wrote a Lua program to announce time and fuel remaining at :30 or :60 intervals or on a switch press. Yes, the TX can do the time announce itself :-) But I wanted fuel state and time to be announced together, More than happy to send it over to you if you want to play with it. It can also announce time to "bingo fuel" which is really helpful once you are confident in the telemetry calibration as you are. Lots of fun :-) Still too cold to fly here so I am envious of the guys already flying!

Over the winter I've been building a fueling station that measures the fuel put back into the plane after a flight -- mostly to confirm the telemetry readings. Of course if they disagree it will be fun to see which one is right. As a student, I was a summer intern at the nat'l bureau of standards temperature measurement lab .. we had a sign "the person with one thermometer always knows the temperature, the person with two thermometers is never sure" :-) I know VSpeak and Jetcat have such devices (I have the VSpeak one) but I wanted to build one on my own too. It's run from an iPhone over Bluetooth. But that's a long story.

I've also been refining a speed announcer that periodically announces the airspeed from the pitot-static system .. the trick here is to announce enough to be useful but no so much that it's too chatty or annoying, and to optionally make more frequent announcements when on final for landing. It looks at how much the speed has changed from the last announce. It can also do an autothrottle function (cruise control) insipred by what Carsten did on the ASSI device. I started it last fall and have not yet flown with it. The "interesting" issue is that telemetry does periodically drop out (easy to see in Jeti studio). The airspeed only has 2-3 1-2 second gaps in a typical flight, so I think it may work. We shall see. I think Carsten thinks I may have a screw loose to try to do speed reg from the TX :-)

If you don't find a simple way to do the "every 10%" some other way, let me know and I can modify the Lua code from time-based announcement to a percent basis.

Dave McQ
Dave
I don't think you have a "screw loose", but I think it is great that you do all of these experiment
On the topic of Autothrottle, I have had a few users approach me and ask if I have anything like the autothrottle on the ASSI, but for Jeti (some of them uses it for formation flying and some uses it to help with landing).
And I soon do The CTU is being worked on right now, the plan is that if you connect a SB-IAS (airspeed sensor) to the E1 Exbus port on the CTU, you can then congure (thru jeti explorer) that the E2 port (the one that also can be configured to be a servo output) can function as a throttle output with autothrottle functionality. It will be like the ASSI, you can have up to 5 different flapsettings that each has its target airspeed setting, and/or you can have a dial/slider set a specific airspeed during flight the CTU will then try to keep. I'l get back on this when I have some more info

Last edited by Carsten Groen; 03-24-2019 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:49 AM
Jannica

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Autothrottle for Jeti via IAS would be a big help in landing a jet if it is reliable. I´m waiting for you to come back with more info.

Jannica in Sweden
Old 03-25-2019, 03:03 AM
Carsten Groen

Originally Posted by Jannica
Autothrottle for Jeti via IAS would be a big help in landing a jet if it is reliable. I´m waiting for you to come back with more info.

Jannica in Sweden
Jannika,
ÿou (and others) can have a glimpse of the basics in the manual for my ASSI system (almost 6 years old now): https://www.dropbox.com/s/jeq5oapxmf1jubb/ASSI.pdf?dl=0
On page 50 the Autothrottle is described, also some references in the rest of the manual
Old 03-25-2019, 06:59 AM
ww2birds

Ah, nice, autothrottle for CTU! Love it!
Dave

Here is a screenshot of the autothrottle on the TX. I did a simulation of the throttle response to airspeed to set up the PID loop. It's kind of fun to vary the setpoint speed (green needle) and watch the P,I and D terms and error signal on the screen.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
DScreen000.bmp (225.1 KB, 32 views)
Old 03-25-2019, 07:22 AM
Carsten Groen

Ah, nice, autothrottle for CTU! Love it!
Dave

Here is a screenshot of the autothrottle on the TX. I did a simulation of the throttle response to airspeed to set up the PID loop. It's kind of fun to vary the setpoint speed (green needle) and watch the P,I and D terms and error signal on the screen.
Perfect Dave!
I can already now see who is going to make a nice LUA addon for the CTUs autothrottle
Will be nice to have something similar for the PID tuning!
Nice work!
Old 03-25-2019, 05:36 PM
c/f
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you have a unit that will plug and play to AMTusa, airstarts of early 2000's to a Graupner MZ-32 for transmitter on screen telemetry. Im pretty ignorant as to the right questions to ask or answer to acomplish. A part number would be awesome........
Old 03-25-2019, 05:51 PM
Viper1GJ

Gary,
Dave McQ
Dave,
I got the Jeti system to make simple every 10% call outs by using the alarms and also can check by pressing one of the back buttons using single voice call out.

What I would really like to do is to have airspeed call outs using Mspeed call out just the number. ie "75-76-75" etc not "airspeed 75 miles per hour" . I cant get rid of the "airspeed" and "miles per hour"
Thanks,
Gary
Old 03-25-2019, 07:04 PM
ww2birds

Gary,

Good work on the 10% callouts!

Yes, I know the units are annoying :-) I don't think there is a way to get it not to do that with the standard callouts but it's trivial with a Lua program .. it can also do less frequent callouts when flying normally (I vary the time spacing based on change in airspeed from last callout) .. and can start continuous callouts below Vref .. and even do a stick shaker for close to stall.

PM me and I'll send my personal email and we can connect there....

Dave
Old 03-26-2019, 12:28 AM
digitech

Gary,

Dave McQ

Dave : we might compile these LUA scripts in "jeti standards" and send them to jeti? they will upload them to their server and people can use a simple install button on their jeti studio.
would be cool for your Ideas and scripts? and myabe do ours also.
you know you are free to edit it!.
read here :

Lua Programming API for DC/DS-24: JETI model s. r. o.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.