Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

1/6 Scale F-18 Build

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

1/6 Scale F-18 Build

Old 02-28-2018, 09:17 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Agreed, my next build is the 1/6 F-16 and I ordered it in white gel coat, regret that now. I want to paint it but I’d like a head start in gray primer next time.

Having worked, designed and produced RC products I can tell you the industry preys on consumers willing to “fix” things. Hobbyists are tinkerers by nature, for the most part, but that is not an excuse to sell subpar products for top dollar. I laid this all out in a rant years ago, nothing has changed, not that I expected it to but I shared my insider experiences in an effort to inform people. Vote with your purchase power and use social media responsibly to inform and affect change.

Im a big fan of this huge F-18 but I’m not willing to pay for it AND redesign it.
Old 03-31-2018, 01:42 PM
FenderBean

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

Small video, still around just playing the waiting game so I have been tinkering a bit. I have been trying to get the stock design to work and I finally got the canopy working with the Actuonix Linear actuators. Thought I had it but once I put everything together and setup the radio I ran into a problem the stock setup covers up. No pictures just a long winded video explaining the issue and my solution, first time I had to create slop to make something work and fit tight!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i4m...ature=youtu.be

oh and if anyone is interested I am doing an Easter sale on some stuff so if you need anything let me know or you can just order from my website! Happer Easter!!!
www.braincubelights.com
Old 04-01-2018, 03:03 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

For whatever reason, SM still has the wrong profile on the main gear wheels.. After how many years?
Old 04-01-2018, 04:16 PM
FenderBean

Originally Posted by Doug Cronkhite
For whatever reason, SM still has the wrong profile on the main gear wheels.. After how many years?
I fought that fight, unfortunately I doubt it will change.
Old 04-01-2018, 11:38 PM
lavi rider
My Feedback: (6)

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

It’s very expensive to produce different molds for each model type considering the small amount of units sold. So most companies try to fit as many of their models with as close to size and scale of their wheel range they have... at 1/5.7 your tire should be around 5.5” dia .. the A and E have different tires.. different struts too , SM did only the later E/F type of struts. And enlarged their A model to fit to their E struts .
Old 04-02-2018, 05:41 AM
FenderBean

I know they use the same molds for various model items but at nearly $3000 for the landing gear they should be correct size and shape. At the price they charge for these models you will never convince me to take their side on such large errors.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:25 AM
lavi rider

I’m not trying to convince.its just quoting the answers I’m getting ....if you’re not satisfied with their product ask your money back... next time better check what are getting before paying ... there are some decent companies that better value and appreciate your business ... honest, 10k for what you get here is waaaaaaaay tooo much in my opinion so complaining for wheels that are off is an understatement of all the rest of faults... sad ...
Old 04-02-2018, 10:23 AM
FenderBean

Wasn’t complaining just responded to the post about tires, and if you can show me another company out there that makes a 1/6 scale f-18f that is better I would be more than happy to consider them for future products. Fact is this market is limited and they know that is so they do what ever and charge what they want.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:39 AM
lavi rider

You’re right , however we encourage them by not doing anything about it ...
Old 04-03-2018, 01:42 AM
lavi rider

The new BVM PNP F-18A is outstanding ... true it’s an A model not the F ..but the landing gear is a work of art . So is the rest of the plane .. I’m eager to get one ..it’s 1/5.7.. 3.25 meter long if I’m not mistaken.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:59 AM
FenderBean

Yeah I have tried to do things by openly bringing up the issues but Sm believes the builder should fix the issues and that this is the norm. I have tried and promoted others to try but ultimately it’s not changing. I’m hoping these new companies continue to grow and produce models. Competition is the only thing that will fix these issues so hopefully some day we have more options.

I agree and loved the detail on bvms new f-18a and they may eventually do an f model but they only sell pnp and will not sell just the airframe at the moment, eventually maybe they will but I doubt it. The bulk people buying these days have no desire to build.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:40 AM
lavi rider

Honestly these days we have less and less time to build and for me actually fixing an ARF paid for airframe because manufacturer so called faults isn’t rewarding or being considered as a joy coming out of “building” it just makes me upset ...
So to me is either an ARF that really is an ARF ( there are some companies out there that stand behind their description ) on which I can concentrate taking that kit “forward”.
Or actually purchasing a kit and do a real build on it ( that is what I would do if I would go with a SM F-18 project)
purchase an all white KIT .. much lesser price than a sheep in a Wolf dress and have my way with it completely from stage 1:-)...
Then there’s really no place to complain..
Nowadays I meticulously pick my build projects due the lack of time issue..still building a Y/A F/A-18 super scale model ..

Last edited by lavi rider; 04-03-2018 at 09:15 AM.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:24 PM
Chris Nicastro

Aluminum filled epoxy 10lb kit (1 gallon) = $100
Urethane foam kit 1 gallon = maybe $100
Black tint for urethane = $20 highly concentrated, goes very far
Blank of wood turned on a lathe to make a master tire model = going labor rate in China or Taiwan
Some wood to make a box and a can of mold release and your good to go into production.

How expensive is it to make a new tire mold?
That’s the direct way to make a simple two part mold to cast a tire. You can make it more complex and more expensive from here. Just don’t make excuses for RC manufacturers please...
Old 04-10-2018, 01:40 AM
lavi rider

Default Tire mold ...

He he he ... garage work production ..

Old 04-10-2018, 06:14 PM
Chris Nicastro

Have you been to RC hobby factories in China?
‘It doesn’t have to be expensive or complicated.
Yes you can produce a steel mold and have injection molding done but these jets are low volume production. You can make cheap molds that cast good parts with detail and replace them many times before you pay for one steel mold.
Old 11-03-2018, 06:27 PM
FenderBean

It's been awhile but starting on the F-18 again, got my servos in so I can do all that for now. I still need to do the repaint but thats on hold till I get the last color, but I have all the decals and paint mask from Tailormade. Soooooo many decals and extreme detail its almost a shame to put them on this jet.
Im uploading so videos to my youtube and facebook build pages as well. Its a slow project because im extremely busy with work, training for a new career, and a side business that's growing.

only got a couple things done today since I had to make a tool run and I hit another issue. The aileron servo mounts are glued in backwards, this cases the aileron rods to be in line with the hinge. I have to cut the current mount mounts out and add new blocks, that killed it for today so I didnt get far. Cheers

Last edited by FenderBean; 11-03-2018 at 06:57 PM.
Old 11-04-2018, 04:28 PM
FenderBean

Day 2 and finally got the servos in one wing, lots of cutting with a few mods and fixes. FYI the link to the videos is down below in my signature, cheers!

this picture kinda gives an idea on why im doing a repaint
Old 11-05-2018, 01:28 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Bring your wing into Homedepot and they can match it. Latex is fuel proof and though I've never done it, you can thin it with water and use an airbrush. I've only brushed on latex before.
Old 11-06-2018, 04:32 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

I use latex on everything now and I spray it with great results. Needs to be thinned big time. I use about 50% water from a water bottle and 50 percent paint with a cap full of flotrol. Funny thing is different colors get different mix ratios so bottom line is make it real thin. It sprays out all orange peely looking but hit it with a heat gun and it will come out to a perfect surface and will be fuel proof with no clear needed.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:01 AM
FenderBean

Thanks guys, I have all but one color, funny enough tailormade provided it with my decals and stencils. They used it to paint the rub on decals I think. The lightest color is what I’m waiting on, hoping it’s done soon.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:06 AM
Looping31

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi guys,
I tried to contact TailorMadeDecals to get the 1/6 F18 rub-ons (it's not on there website in that scale) around 10 days ago, no answer...
Contact form and email not responding.
No too encouraging before ordering multi hundred euros stuffs !
Do you have a better experience with them ?
Old 11-07-2018, 10:39 AM
FenderBean

Yes I had great experience with them, Try his Facebook page to get a hold of him. He mainly does email but I did talk to him some there.
Old 11-07-2018, 05:49 PM
FenderBean

Slow going, the wing servos took 4 days to get in due to the mounts being in wrong on a couple, but they're in! Servo covers are installed as well just need to cut servo arm slots and glue in the four carbon fiber control horns.

Old 11-07-2018, 05:50 PM
FenderBean

Old 11-07-2018, 06:26 PM
mauryr

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What's that plate you taped over the main tank?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.