Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

1/6 Scale F-18 Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

1/6 Scale F-18 Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 04:54 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by mr_matt
How is that brass ball held into the CF horn?
its just stuck in there some had CA on them, I complained about this in the beginning. Another SM special
Old 12-11-2018, 04:57 PM
FenderBean

Gun I had to do a little trimming but not as bad if I would have put the horn in the orig recommended location. I hate Im only using 1/4-1/2 of my servo throw on both surfaces......
Old 12-11-2018, 05:03 PM
FenderBean

Old 12-11-2018, 05:07 PM
FenderBean

Old 12-11-2018, 05:10 PM
FenderBean

L
Old 12-11-2018, 05:13 PM
FenderBean

Old 12-11-2018, 05:14 PM
FenderBean

Finished one wing today, well kinda still need to attach the hinge covers but I’m going to wait till the repaint

Old 12-11-2018, 05:55 PM
Ad Clark
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for your great photos Keith. Sure appreciate your efforts and work.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:09 PM
FenderBean

Originally Posted by Ad Clark
Thanks for your great photos Keith. Sure appreciate your efforts and work.
With high blood pressure its my pleasure lol This was a very rushed jet design, SM needs to slow down and spend more time developing and refining instead of making larger models, but they will never listen because people keep buying.
I do these to help people and maybe give them some ideas that will help their jet survive longer than it would with the stock setups. I enjoy the building but I cannot stand when im slowed due to the deer in the headlights issues I keep running into. I expect a few in every build but this thing is beating me down, kills motivation and bigger yet the enjoyment.

Hey Gun did your F-18 have anything to cover the back half of the wing hinges or just the front like the pictures above?

Last edited by FenderBean; 12-11-2018 at 06:22 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:45 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by FenderBean
With high blood pressure its my pleasure lol This was a very rushed jet design, SM needs to slow down and spend more time developing and refining instead of making larger models, but they will never listen because people keep buying.
I do these to help people and maybe give them some ideas that will help their jet survive longer than it would with the stock setups. I enjoy the building but I cannot stand when im slowed due to the deer in the headlights issues I keep running into. I expect a few in every build but this thing is beating me down, kills motivation and bigger yet the enjoyment.

Hey Gun did your F-18 have anything to cover the back half of the wing hinges or just the front like the pictures above?
Hey Kieth had to go back into old pics and see lol. No mine didn't have them and like yours everything was painted the wrong color for the fairings .
Old 12-12-2018, 07:55 AM
Canadian Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

This is how the wings came modifed from Skymaster.

This is a final pic of Aileron linkage redone and external and flap done as a hidden linkage.

Stock setup. Brutally hacked into wing for clearance.

Picture of Completed Wing with internal flap linkage.

Flap movement matching down for aileron surface.

Modified servo horn allows full servo movement and enough clearance to not hit top surface of wing.

New Servo Setup.

This setup is not ideal as I would have liked to have another carbon mount on the other side of the ball but there was no structure in the wing to mount it to. I wanted to use a clevis but the owner of the plane wanted a ball link. It's a strong setup and has proved itself with lots of flights so far.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:56 AM
Canadian Man

Fender, don't want to hijack your thread but just wanted to post some pictures from my friends wings I modified. Same plane, Same stock issue.

Hope your ok with me adding to your thread.

Thanks

Jonathan.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:14 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Canadian Man
Fender, don't want to hijack your thread but just wanted to post some pictures from my friends wings I modified. Same plane, Same stock issue.

Hope your ok with me adding to your thread.

Thanks

Jonathan.
Jonathan, which servo arm is the blue one? I normally use SWB arms but these look good. As you said to get full servo travel sometimes you have to have these very short modified arms. At times, I have cut them down to 3/8 inch on ailerons, to get full resolution and the right travel.

Did you think about driving the aileron hinge directly with a ball link (getting rid of the aileron horn completely)? I know you would have a cantilevered "twisting" moment on the hinge but it looks strong enough with that over engineered carbon
Old 12-12-2018, 11:12 AM
FenderBean

I thought about doing the main flap like you did, didn’t I would have enough throw that way. Looks like I was wrong and since I have to repaint the jet I may redo mine.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:17 PM
Canadian Man

Originally Posted by FenderBean
I thought about doing the main flap like you did, didn’t I would have enough throw that way. Looks like I was wrong and since I have to repaint the jet I may redo mine.
If you look at the white paper beside the blue servo horn, that's a diagram of the position of the Carbon Horn to get full travel.

The blue servo horns are the ones that came with the servos.
First round I tried the inner hole that was part of the crimp but didn't get enough travel.
The next hole out (actual arm hole) provided the right amount of travel and enough clearance from top skin.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:29 PM
Canadian Man

Jonathan, which servo arm is the blue one? I normally use SWB arms but these look good. As you said to get full servo travel sometimes you have to have these very short modified arms. At times, I have cut them down to 3/8 inch on ailerons, to get full resolution and the right travel.

Did you think about driving the aileron hinge directly with a ball link (getting rid of the aileron horn completely)? I know you would have a cantilevered "twisting" moment on the hinge but it looks strong enough with that over engineered carbon
Didn't think about that but i'm sure if there was room at the right pivot point it would work great. The hinges are very strong.
As mentioned above, I believe the blue arms are the ones that come with the new JR Servos.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:47 PM
Auburn02

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Did you think about driving the aileron hinge directly with a ball link (getting rid of the aileron horn completely)?
What are you guys referring to here? Got any pictures of that type of setup?
Old 12-12-2018, 04:29 PM
mr_matt

Old 12-12-2018, 04:44 PM
gunradd

Only problem with doing it that way Matt is you would not get any travel up only down.

I did my flapsthe the same way and Barry and Peter goldsmith did also. Stock way has crap for torque.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:45 PM
FenderBean

Originally Posted by Canadian Man
If you look at the white paper beside the blue servo horn, that's a diagram of the position of the Carbon Horn to get full travel.

The blue servo horns are the ones that came with the servos.
First round I tried the inner hole that was part of the crimp but didn't get enough travel.
The next hole out (actual arm hole) provided the right amount of travel and enough clearance from top skin.
When I got home today I gut the horn out and did like your setup, its a much better way to go and gives you the most mechanical advantage. Plus since can go shorter on the servo arm I can use more of the servos natural throw, which makes me happy. I covered the areas I cut for the original servo arm and rod with some carbon fiber and epoxy and filled them with some bondo, you will never see it once I repaint the model. Thanks for the mod!
Old 12-14-2018, 02:53 PM
FenderBean

Okay so after the above mod was posted I decided to go back and do mine the same way. Its a much better setup on a big flap and helps with a more linear servo travel as well as the best possible mechanical advantage for this design. I wend back and filled in the area with some carbon and bondo and after sanding for the final paint it will never be seen.
Also posting my UAT mounts, I have had these in stock a few weeks but forgot about them till this week. Nice little cheap accessory that makes UAT mount easy!
Also uploading a video

Old 12-14-2018, 04:27 PM
mr_matt

Originally Posted by gunradd
Only problem with doing it that way Matt is you would not get any travel up only down.
Why is that?
Old 12-15-2018, 09:06 AM
gunradd

Why is that?

if you connect it back behind the hinge line near the base the linkage will hit the aileron when it goes up.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:28 PM
FenderBean

Slow going this week been on the landing gear for days now, but the painting is done. A lot of pieces to this gear and the epoxy paint takes forever to dry in cool temperatures. I also trimmed the oversized catapult arm and redoing the nose gear landing light, it’s way too large and sits up in the fuselage. The 3D printed parts are horrific, I see 200$ printers with better results, any way the decals will be next and some detailing like clamps and hydraulic lines. Cheers
Old 12-19-2018, 09:29 PM
FenderBean

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.