Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Joe Nall advice for First Timmer, Are RC Jets Allowed?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Joe Nall advice for First Timmer, Are RC Jets Allowed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 08:09 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Joe Nall advice for First Timmer, Are RC Jets Allowed?

Ok, so I have been trying to hit all my bucket list RC Shows, and this year we are making plans for Joe Nall, I was told it was the best and biggest show in the USA. From RockIsland IL, this will be a long trip, but we will be bring a really nice 5 wheel RV with a golf Cart, (I was told a golf Cart was a must)

So me and my buddy are talking about what toys to bring, Except for 2 NASA Scale Contest, we manly only due RC Jet shows we hit 8 last year.

But I have herd stories about people loosing there planes due to over saturation of 2.4g signal with Spectrum gear? He uses Spectrum, I'm a Futaba guy.

I was told we should not bring many jets as there is not a jet only field?

What types of planes would you bring? I was told we should bring some foamy? I don't own any but I can buy one I guess.

We are going to be there all week, we have done the whole week at KY jets, so we got the RV part down, but I'm looking for advice of things we should bring?

Thanks Army Mike
Old 02-06-2018, 09:32 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

Jets are allowed and they fly all the time at the main line.

The main line is all giant scale but you could be flying with other jets or a Cub and WWI fighter so its busy, nerve wracking, and lots of planes are in the air of different performance.

That said, the Joe Nall experience IMO is worth the trip
Old 02-06-2018, 10:39 AM
jws_aces
My Feedback: (33)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikes68charger

So me and my buddy are talking about what toys to bring, Except for 2 NASA Scale Contest, we manly only due RC Jet shows we hit 8 last year.

But I have herd stories about people loosing there planes due to over saturation of 2.4g signal with Spectrum gear? He uses Spectrum, I'm a Futaba guy.

I was told we should not bring many jets as there is not a jet only field?
Mike, Sadly enough I was one of the lost jets of 11 that I know off. I was using Spektrum. Not all 11 lost were due to radio and not all radio lost jets were Spektrum. I was the first on Sunday. Before I got home 4 hours later I got calls of at least 4 more that day. One even flew off and has never been found. I am sure people will follow up with there side of the story also.

I have been there 3 years in a row with the same jets and radio. Also I fly almost every weekend at events with no issues like this. I am not 100% sure what cause it. I have had everything check out that survived the crash including the transmitter. I now own a jet that was also flown there with Spektrum with no issues. I have been to Triple tree 2 times since then and have no issues.

I have posted on other boards that promote Nall like flyinggiants to give thought to the set up of the flight lines for the reason of over saturation of signal on the main line. What I mean is that I flew that saturday with no issues and lost my bird on sunday during a slow flight on the north end of the field. Just some 100 yards away is the FPV racing track. When my jet crash and blew up I ran to it, put out fire, went to carry the remains back north towards my tent and that is when I notice a very loud screaming buzz. It was the Quad racer. Now I am not saying it was the cause but you must consider it could have contributed to it.

I feel like my DSMX was getting too much interference from all the radios in the area and possibly the FPV being closer than my transmitter at the time loss of control was trying to move to a cleaner channel but there wasn't any. Jets themselve make a lot of noise themselves so that didn't help either.

I love flying at Nall but will not until they uncrowd the main line. The FPV is too close on the north end. That was new for 2017 and then they added an extra electric line closer than previous on the southern end.

Consider that along with all the new Quads that are being flow around the main flight line in the camping area behind the line, also all of us testing out planes in the pits. I don't know the fix. My biggest thought is never should there be any type of simular radio that can be closer to your aircraft that the one the pilot is flying the plane with. I have witness pilot stations to close or standing together and it causing one to lose there bird and only to recover by moving away for the others.

I want so bad to go back again for the week and I might but I really should have my head examined if I do and fly my hawk there if nothing changes... Cause if it were to crash again like it did I would be kicking myself all the way home.... One guy said on the other board to bring something to fly that you don't care about. Sorry but I am not into spending a week of my time and money not to enjoy flying what I love.

We will see if Nall changes anything. Mike take my story for what it's worth but don't kid yourself thinking the futaba is bullet proof. You maybe kicking yourself on the long drive home.