Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Larger Airworld Cougar Potental issues?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Larger Airworld Cougar Potental issues?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 02:39 PM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Larger Airworld Cougar Potental issues?

Hey team. I was reading post on this site that stated there was known issues with the larger Airworld Cougar. Something about ali flutter and elevator flutter on the panther.

Im restoring one now, fixing a lot of cosmetic issues (someone used to strong of a stripper, and hard sanding block to remove paint).

Now Ia is the time to make any improvements. So what fixes / issues you know of?
Old 02-06-2018, 03:25 PM
CRye
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mike,
Search "airworld cougar." A thread of that exact title had a flyer loose both ailerons and another lose one. They seemed to write off to weak servo arm. Strong tight servo and linkage only masks the problem but you still get your airplane back. Chief way to actually prevent is to balance the control about its pivot center which will about double the weight since you have to have just as much mass in front of the pivot as behind. And even that only pushes the potential for flutter outside normal envelope.
I posed the question but never got an answer whether live hinges were inherently flutter resistant. When you jump to the x2? 76 lb and up AMA class actual control static balance is required.
Charles
Old 02-06-2018, 10:10 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

There are no issues with correctly installed servo, tight linkages. The live hinge is not prone to flutter, the Cougar surfaces are not prone to flutter either. It’s a aeroplane where everything is left to the builder and some people’s standards are well below par
Old 02-07-2018, 08:18 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
There are no issues with correctly installed servo, tight linkages. The live hinge is not prone to flutter, the Cougar surfaces are not prone to flutter either. It’s a aeroplane where everything is left to the builder and some people’s standards are well below par
Thanks, I tend to beef up most jets I work on, but I have not seen anything on this Airworld Cougar that concerns me. Thanks