Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jetsmunt Turbine Service

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jetsmunt Turbine Service

Old 03-04-2018, 02:23 AM
raron455
My Feedback: (38)

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Jetsmunt Turbine Service Back to Spain

I wanted to take a minute to share my recent experience with Jetsmunt. I had an old merlin 160 that crapped out on me Last year, the flameout damaged the turbine, and the deadstick field landing damaged the plane I had it in. The merlin was sent back to DreamWorks for service, and then they forwarded it to Spain for repair, Gaspar got back with me on an estimate to fix it, the turbine was pretty old and I decided my best bet was to do the factory trade in. They gave me a fair price on the 160, considering the work it needed, and the age and put that towards my purchase of the merlin 200. I installed it in my new Carf Lightning, and have been flying it a lot. I recently had a problem with it, and after talking with Gaspar and watching what was happening on the Data Logger on the data terminal, we decided it had to be sent in for repair. The only place to send it was back to Jetsmunt, In Spain. Here is where I want to share my experience with you guys and let you know how it turned out. I contacted Jetsmunt and let them know I needed to send it in, Gaspar was out but that was not an Issue. Sonia contacted me back and let me know I had two options, Pay for shipping to them and then return, Or I could choose what they called Turnaround shipping for a fee of 125 euros (154 dollars), they send me a shipping label and I could attach it to the box and drop it off at UPS. I decided to go that route, Sonia sent me the label the next day, and I got the turbine all boxed up and labeled. I dropped it off at the UPS Hub here in town on my way to work Friday night. Following the tracking info I watched it in transit, Jetsmunt sent me an Email Tuesday letting me know they had it and would get to it asap.
I then Got an email from a Tech at Jetsmunt on Thursday Evening stating they worked on the engine and found an issue with the board on the turbine, they replaced it, supplied me with a new cable and ECU as well. All covered under my warranty. the only cost I had to cover was the shipping. They asked me how I wanted to pay, I asked for a paypal invoice as it made everything easier, and they sent me the invoice, I paid and the next day, soon affter I was sent shipping information. I tracked the turbine as it came back to me, it got to my house within 3 days. I put it back into my lighting, ground tested, and put 3 flights on it, engine running flawless..

So what's the point of this long post?
I Know I was worried about sending my Engine Overseas for repair and figure others may have that worry, So I wanted to share my experience of having to send a 3k plus engine out of the country for repair. The truth of the matter is, It was really easy, Jetsmunt really took care of everything, all I had to do was print the label out, put it on the box, and drop it off. The whole thing went very smoothly, and the turnaround was super fast, EVEN with the shipping time I had it back in under 2 weeks The shipping to Spain and back to me may seem high, but I can tell you this, the last time I sent a different brand turbine from Texas to California to be checked out I used UPS, and after the shipping and insurance it was a little over 80$. So the 150 to ship from Texas to Spain, and then Back to me seems to be a fair price. I have had nothing but Positive experience with Jetsmunt, Sonia, and Gaspar in particular, So this is my way of saying Thank you to them,
Ronnie Dean

Last edited by raron455; 03-04-2018 at 02:30 AM.
Old 03-04-2018, 04:53 AM
Vettster

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good to hear Ronnie
I've always found Gasper to be a big help. He is never to busy to get back to you and answer even the smallest of your concerns.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:22 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Ronnie were you able to insure it?
Old 03-04-2018, 07:04 AM
jcterrettaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I always send my turbine to Jet Munt Spain , super service and communication , very professional and of course , insure my turbine ....
Old 03-04-2018, 08:08 AM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and soon we will have Greg Alderman servicing JM motors in the USA.. Gaspar is helping him get up and running.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:14 AM
VK96

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gooseF22
and soon we will have Greg Alderman servicing JM motors in the USA.. Gaspar is helping him get up and running.
Where's Greg based out of?
Old 03-04-2018, 12:06 PM
Dieselman1220
My Feedback: (25)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the info Ronnie, I’ve owned one Merlin in the past and was very happy with it.
I don’t know who Greg is but does this mean dreamworks will no longer sell and service JM turbines?
Old 03-04-2018, 12:22 PM
c_makhija

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sent in a M140 to Spain since the Ecu had packed up. Alan kept me well updated with the repair and cost
Sonia was quick to respond to all my queries and billing.
not received the turbine yet, but for sure looks to be a professional setup.

Chatty.
Old 03-04-2018, 02:30 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Thinking about trying two in my f-18, seem like nice turbines.
Old 03-04-2018, 04:22 PM
rcmigpilot
My Feedback: (26)

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Haven't dealt with the turbine side, but have always gotten outstanding service from them on the Xicoy electronics.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:50 AM
Craig B.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Fender, I have two in my f14 and so far they have been great. Very compact powerful little units. They would be ideal for the f18. The rest of my engines are jetcat but I am very happy with the Merlin 140xbls
Old 03-05-2018, 09:02 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig B.
Fender, I have two in my f14 and so far they have been great. Very compact powerful little units. They would be ideal for the f18. The rest of my engines are jetcat but I am very happy with the Merlin 140xbls
thanks, tried just about everything else been looking for something fuel efficient, plus I was told the 140s will be updated to 160ish newtons.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:33 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jets Munt are probably used more than any other turbine brand in my club and they are fantastic engines. The support from Gaspar is incredible too.

The 166XBL was on display at Jetpower and is due to be released soon. As far as I understand it is in in the same size can as the 140 so should be an amazing engine.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:30 PM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VK96
Where's Greg based out of?
Middle of Indiana
Old 03-05-2018, 12:31 PM
VK96

Originally Posted by gooseF22
Middle of Indiana
Thanks Goose
Old 03-06-2018, 04:12 AM
LimitDwn
My Feedback: (21)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The service and communication from Gaspar when I had my 140 turbine in for service was great. I sent it through DreamWorks and things went without issue even with sending it over the European Christmas Holiday.

As for the 166 I did ask Gaspar the release date and they are hopping for sometime in April, would be a great fit for a UF.

Robert
Old 03-10-2018, 06:46 PM
DrV
My Feedback: (2)

I have three M140xbl and one M200xbl turbines. Service from Gaspar, Alen and Sonia has been exceptional as described by Ronnie. I ship direct and after work is performed, I get it back in 2 days from Spain to California. The shipping, service/repair pricing is very reasonable.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:28 AM
cetigershark

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Jetsmunt is the best. I only own engines from them only. Great communiction - great service.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:36 AM
JohnMac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I had the first M160 sold in the UK. I was delighted with the engine and ended up with 4 of them, all early ones and gas start. They did me proud over the years. One day I heard a strange sound from one of the older engines. It was running OK and there seemed to be no effect of throttleing or power. Nonetheless I took it out.
I then realised that Jets Munt was quite close to Barcelona, where my wife and I were headed for a long weekend break. Long story short, Gaspar met us at the hotel, repaired the engine (FOC) and returned it to me before I got back on the plane on the following Tuesday evening.
Top service.

John