Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Frsky radios with jets?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Frsky radios with jets?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 04:22 PM
geneh-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Frsky radios with jets?

Anyone use the Frisky X10 or their other radios with turbine planes? Have they worked out good or any problems?

I wanted a new Futaba SZ16 but can't get any Futaba radios or receivers now.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:58 PM
erh7771
My Feedback: (30)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been using mine for turbines for over 2 years, not one issue, more options than I need and 16 channels on tap with simple SBus to PWM converters.

Plenty of vids on YT to set openTX options but loaded with templates to KIS

I use Taranis, don't care about gimbals etc so have never switched to any of the horus line

HK has a sell on the enhanced X8R RX's with free shipping
Old 03-14-2018, 01:48 AM
Air Works

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is an interesting video on YT on how good the range is
Old 03-15-2018, 03:24 AM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Go Jeti :-)
Old 03-15-2018, 04:56 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

I was a fan of Futaba back in the day (late 70's to the early 2000's)... but then when 2.4 came out... they took FOREVER to get on the band wagon. From there... I switched to Spektrum. But a couple years ago, I had a few losses for unknown reasons, and they had a bunch of issues of RF decks failing. (in the DX8 and DX18) so I switch to Jeti. I love the feel of it.

WITH THAT SAID.....

I know a bunch of guys who use the Taranus radios, and have good luck with them, and over the last few years, they have really improved. I guess my only issue with them is hit-n-miss customer service. Also... I would have to verify any part with use in something else for a while before I would put it into a turbine. Just before Xmas, I was going to buy a QX7, and put a multi protocol module in it. (but the kids toys had to come first)

I'm not a guy to say "It's cheap so it sux"... but I would want to prove it to myself before I put it into anything of value. Heck... I bought a $170 Jeti Assist Rx, and put it into a $40 electric 3d model before I felt comfortable enough to put it into one of my jets. (it was new, and potentially could take over control. Had to prove function to myself)

So.... buy it... mount it in something cheap... make sure it would and doesn't do anything goofy... and once you are happy... put it into a jet.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:31 AM
ChuckC
My Feedback: (24)

To Tony's point - a long time ago electronics , GENERALLY most often failed in "infantile failure" mode, which speaks to the very valid concept of testing it out in something cheap that you won't cry over if it died. I still test/burn in my servos that way and because it's easy to do so.

However, I don't hear or see a lot about such failures any more and wonder how applicable said failure mode is any more (?) In fact, it seems very rare to see failures of most kinds of electronics, though they happen, compared to back in the 90's and 2000's.

Funny - I went down the same road as Tony with first Futaba and now having switched to Jeti; I love the Jeti and get /like Germanic programming logic (if you call it that).
Old 03-16-2018, 05:06 AM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Honda
I was a fan of Futaba back in the day (late 70's to the early 2000's)... but then when 2.4 came out... they took FOREVER to get on the band wagon. From there... I switched to Spektrum. But a couple years ago, I had a few losses for unknown reasons, and they had a bunch of issues of RF decks failing. (in the DX8 and DX18) so I switch to Jeti. I love the feel of it.

WITH THAT SAID.....

I know a bunch of guys who use the Taranus radios, and have good luck with them, and over the last few years, they have really improved. I guess my only issue with them is hit-n-miss customer service. Also... I would have to verify any part with use in something else for a while before I would put it into a turbine. Just before Xmas, I was going to buy a QX7, and put a multi protocol module in it. (but the kids toys had to come first)

I'm not a guy to say "It's cheap so it sux"... but I would want to prove it to myself before I put it into anything of value. Heck... I bought a $170 Jeti Assist Rx, and put it into a $40 electric 3d model before I felt comfortable enough to put it into one of my jets. (it was new, and potentially could take over control. Had to prove function to myself)

So.... buy it... mount it in something cheap... make sure it would and doesn't do anything goofy... and once you are happy... put it into a jet.
Originally Posted by ChuckC
To Tony's point - a long time ago electronics , GENERALLY most often failed in "infantile failure" mode, which speaks to the very valid concept of testing it out in something cheap that you won't cry over if it died. I still test/burn in my servos that way and because it's easy to do so.

However, I don't hear or see a lot about such failures any more and wonder how applicable said failure mode is any more (?) In fact, it seems very rare to see failures of most kinds of electronics, though they happen, compared to back in the 90's and 2000's.

Funny - I went down the same road as Tony with first Futaba and now having switched to Jeti; I love the Jeti and get /like Germanic programming logic (if you call it that).
This was the longer versions of my reply Thought I could as well do the long one too.

I got my DS-16 Jeti 5years ago. Back then it was 16channels. During the years they added more channels via updates, so now it does 24ch. Also added capability of LUA, Jeti and 3rd party sensors and interfaces have come to market and I really feel every time I use it that its so superb. Never had that feeling with other radios. Coming from JR with the 10X, cool with touch display but reall expensive and a big compromise as it did only air, not heli(!!) from that to the PCM9 which was a downgrade in quality but gain in programming... then over to DX8 to get proper 2.4ghz, but the DX8 is a plastic joke, no quality feel there. Went Jeti, and wow - still wow after 5 years. I se no need to switch to the new DS24 as I still love the 16. I just upped my battery from the stock 3200mAh to a 7000mAh and now I charge once every 4months, and I fly EVERY SINGLE DAY after work. Been doing so for 27 stright weeks now.

My helicopter is all programmed via the DS16, both the gyro system and the ESC. Really cool. This with a 5year old Tx.
The following users liked this post:
Kasperwing Dave (09-11-2022)
Old 03-16-2018, 08:05 AM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have also been flying Futaba for ever.
But my next radio will most likely be the Horus X10S

I like the dual battery and dual rx power box for 16 channels that they make.
You connect the 2 rx`s to the powerbox with a sbus cable on each rx, and then have 16 channels out, with redudant battery bus, and also rx redundancy, and diversity..
I like the adea that you can place one rx in the nose , and one ai the top of the plane, så they sort of work like satelites, and it chooses the best reception.
The TX allso has 2 internal antennas, and one external.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Amber.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	2259441   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	326.9 KB
ID:	2259442   Click image for larger version

Name:	RX8R-PRO7.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	2259443   Click image for larger version

Name:	1456724079.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	361.1 KB
ID:	2259445  
Old 03-16-2018, 12:09 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Not on your life.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:51 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SJN

I like the dual battery and dual rx power box for 16 channels that they make.
You connect the 2 rx`s to the powerbox with a sbus cable on each rx, and then have 16 channels out, with redudant battery bus, and also rx redundancy, and diversity..
I like the adea that you can place one rx in the nose , and one ai the top of the plane, så they sort of work like satelites, and it chooses the best reception..
It is a blatant rip-off of the Jeti central box 200. Frsky is cheap because Chinese just steal western work. They even cut and pasted paragraphs from the Jeti's instructions into the Frsky one. Disgusting. They should be boycotted.
http://www.jetimodel.com/en/katalog/Central-Box/@produkt/Central-Box-200/

Last edited by HarryC; 03-17-2018 at 01:01 AM.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:24 AM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have not looked int othe Jeti stuff. It sure looks similar.
At least it will work great then :-)

Copyright is not a word in the chinese dictionary
Old 03-17-2018, 08:06 AM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

Default Sightly Amused

Originally Posted by HarryC
It is a blatant rip-off of the Jeti central box 200. Frsky is cheap because Chinese just steal western work. They even cut and pasted paragraphs from the Jeti's instructions into the Frsky one. Disgusting. They should be boycotted.
Central Box 200: JETI model s. r. o.
================================================== =====
Harry - Your indignation is slightly amusing to me having been copied years ago. The Japanese companies did not build a good radio until they copied US designed radios in the late "60's. Who boycotted the Japanese companies?
Old 03-17-2018, 08:33 AM
Air Works

Struggling to understand why people have a downer on affordable gear if its reliable and has the same features as other high cost radios. As for copying it has two sticks a bunch of switches and a color screen as do many other radios
Old 03-17-2018, 08:36 AM
rcflyguy_26
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by Air Works
Struggling to understand why people have a downer on affordable gear if its reliable and has the same features as other high cost radios. As for copying it has two sticks a bunch of switches and a color screen as do many other radios
So you're ok with someone copying want every you do for a living, making it cheaper so you lose your job....
Old 03-17-2018, 09:16 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Air Works

I don’t know if it’s reliable and I’m not into being a guinea pig.

And I’ve tried the HK stuff, and yes even in $20k+ Jets that I’ve spent years building. But only when nothing else would work and never in critical areas.

You asked, I answered.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:05 AM
sidgates

I built model radios control sets for 16 years, closed in 1983. When I stared flying high value models a few years ago I started looking for the best RF link I could find with airspeed sensors. At that time I settled on Weatronic for RF link and the promise of good telemetry. The RF link has been very reliable but the telemetry was very expensive and the company didn't have good support in the US. Four years ago I and 2 close friends decided to try the Taranis. All 3 have been faultless except for some minor mechanical issues. We did not like the feel of the gimbals and that was solved my hand making metal centering arms for the gimbals.

I like Ravill am very cauious about what I test a new radio in. After 4 years I have put the Taranis in a Top Gun F-15 with turbine but have not had the weather to test fly it yet. I have flown the Taranis in everything from foamies to 1/4 scale models at this point. Several in my local area have purchased the Taranis since we did and one guy received a defective (short range check) receiver which was immediately replace by Aloft.

When a modeler shows an interest in the Taranis the first thing I do is show him the programing. It is hard for some people to grasp but very powerfull.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:58 PM
erh7771

Originally Posted by ravill
I don’t know if it’s reliable and I’m not into being a guinea pig.
FrsKy RXs and TX mods with RSSI has been out for a while nearly ...10 yrs,

The mods were known for RSSI and no let go lock before Frsky went into controller hardware and kept the software FOS starting with Taranis

Industry followed the feature set relative to price but it started with a no let go frsky RX \ TX and RSSI

Last edited by erh7771; 03-17-2018 at 08:12 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:26 PM
sidgates

Default Need explanation

Originally Posted by erh7771
FrsKy RXs and TX mods with RSSI has been out for a while nearly ...10 yrs,

The mods were known for RSSI and no let go lock before Frsky went into controller hardware and kept the software FOS starting with Taranis

Industry followed the feature set relative to price but it started with a no let go frsky RX \ TX and RSSI
===========================================
What do you mean by "no let go lock"?
Old 03-17-2018, 08:39 PM
erh7771

Originally Posted by sidgates
===========================================
What do you mean by "no let go lock"?
Wont let go of a lock between RX and TX while flying some miles beyond sight without using a LRS.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:16 AM
JohnMac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rcflyguy_26
So you're ok with someone copying want every you do for a living, making it cheaper so you lose your job....
Well Said.