RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Change is hard

Reply

Old 05-18-2018, 10:54 AM
  #151  
ChemE
 
ChemE's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 18
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by IBThomas View Post
We're still working on creating the marketplace into a more user friendly environment. Unfortunately, we can't just roll out updates all the time due to time constraints and resources. Many of these complaints are to be addressed with the next update.
Hey...if you guys don't have the time or resources you may consider putting the site up for sale. As I have said in my previous posts, I would fire the guy that changed the site like you did. I own a business and have changed software several times, but never implemented changes without full testing. Now IBobi said that the change had to be made. I can believe that. Many platforms can no longer be maintained because of support issues. But when did you find this out? In February? I hope you guys can find the answer. This has been a fantastic site and I have nothing but praise for the developers of the old market place. It is amazing. As good as Ebay. Wish you all luck. Hire a Cal Tech geek and fix the old platform.

Sahag
ChemE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:11 AM
  #152  
niteflyer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: pierson, MI
Posts: 117
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by mongo View Post
a work around for that back thing,
use a right click and select open link in new window, or open link in new tab,
either will prevent having to use the back button, and will also allow the link to stay open, if you want to do some side by side comparisons.
Thanks "mongo" for showing me a back door to fix a very nagging issue. Not that I think any of these issues
should be still so prevalent on something that was "rolled out" two months ago. Highly obvious that this is
not a priority to the powers that be. It is just so SAD that such a good system that was around ever since
I have been involved with R/C (10 years or so) is replaced with a New And Improved system that stinks
to the high heavens. This is what modern technology is all about ?? Who ever created the old market
place must have been generations ahead of the game...........
niteflyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 03:32 PM
  #153  
mongo
My Feedback: (14)
 
mongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Midland, TX
Posts: 2,456
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

we all in the same boat here.
hard to believe that 90 days ago were "the good ole days".
mongo is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 03:21 PM
  #154  
ChemE
 
ChemE's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 18
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Hey Mongo!!!

I have not made an offer or place anything for sale on this site since April 1 and that was a leftover on the old market place . Good old days indeed!!!

Sahag
ChemE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:42 PM
  #155  
ChemE
 
ChemE's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 18
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

IBobi.

Here is the problem in a nut shell. I do not want to be bothered by people asking if a product is sold, nor do I want to ask if one is still available. In the old system you can make an offer or ask a question. The minute an offer was accepted, the product got removed. There are adds in your present market that have been sold whose add remains. So therefore if you do not have an offer, rating (Keep historical info), method to rate, market value of items, and the other things the old site had, you all are trying to fool your users. I don't know how old you are, but I was a young engineer when Lotus 123 came up. By 1985 or so Excel had the look and feel of 123 but different code. If as you say the old market was no longer feasible, duplicate it with new code. This new system also leaves you open to fraud. A seller can accept several offers and no one would know about it because the add is not automatically removed. There is no automatic removal of the add because there is no payment method or invoice.
ChemE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 01:27 PM
  #156  
IBobi
Administrator
My Feedback: (1)
 
IBobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: El Segundo, CA
Posts: 804
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by ChemE View Post
IBobi.

Here is the problem in a nut shell. I do not want to be bothered by people asking if a product is sold, nor do I want to ask if one is still available. In the old system you can make an offer or ask a question. The minute an offer was accepted, the product got removed. There are adds in your present market that have been sold whose add remains. So therefore if you do not have an offer, rating (Keep historical info), method to rate, market value of items, and the other things the old site had, you all are trying to fool your users. I don't know how old you are, but I was a young engineer when Lotus 123 came up. By 1985 or so Excel had the look and feel of 123 but different code. If as you say the old market was no longer feasible, duplicate it with new code. This new system also leaves you open to fraud. A seller can accept several offers and no one would know about it because the add is not automatically removed. There is no automatic removal of the add because there is no payment method or invoice.
I hear what you're saying.

What we are doing is smoothing out the rough patches on the user interface -- things like page refreshes and auto-scrolling that should not occur, as well as adding a new layer of custom filters, and generally making the new marketplace smoother and more feature-rich.

The old marketplace was completely different software and supported things like invoicing and listings that automatically disappeared after a sale, etc. That is not something the new software can do, and it won't be back. Hopefully that's not a dealbreaker, because to my knowledge there are no other forums that have that either. It was unsupportable and it's gone. All other RC forums work very similarly to the way RCU does now, except RCU is better, and continuing to improve.

What we continue to do is take suggestions for how to improve the marketplace we do have, and we anticipate the next two upgrades will take place in early June, and then again in mid June.

We appreciate your patience and hope you find the new marketplace to your liking, even if it does not mimic every feature of the old.
IBobi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 01:58 PM
  #157  
IBThomas
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 138
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by LGM Graphix View Post

Lol now I get this message on some of the ads I tried to look at.....
I'm a little confused, is this the ad or is the ad causing invalid threads for you?
IBThomas is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:03 PM
  #158  
IBThomas
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 138
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by LGM Graphix View Post
LOL, it's been almost 2 months since this thread was started.... If the old market place was graded 100% and the new one graded 10% the "updates" you have done brings it up to a generous 15%. It's obvious that the biggest desire from people is to have the old marketplace back with the make offer, invoicing, etc that the old marketplace had. It's also glaringly obvious that the intent is to keep it the forum based garbage it's become where those options will not be available. There have been multiple comments made about issues in the marketplace from multiple users and admin's response is "It works fine for us on all platforms", "Show us screenshots" "use something besides an Ipad".....
Sorry but it's become rather impossible to believe that you're working on any changes to repair the functionality of the marketplace at this point.
We're working with what the circumstance dictates. The marketplace was no longer supported, so it had to be changed either way. We're doing what we can to bring back the features you all liked about the old marketplace, but it's just going to have to be a different iteration of what used to be. We've received a lot of feedback and have been working hard to address them. It's an on going process that only has rooms for improvement, and despite the hiccups, I'm personally optimistic that we can bring you something that you like. Yours as well as everyone elses criticisms are valid and helpful in making that a possibility.
IBThomas is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:21 PM
  #159  
mongo
My Feedback: (14)
 
mongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Midland, TX
Posts: 2,456
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by IBobi View Post
I hear what you're saying.

What we are doing is smoothing out the rough patches on the user interface -- things like page refreshes and auto-scrolling that should not occur, as well as adding a new layer of custom filters, and generally making the new marketplace smoother and more feature-rich.

The old marketplace was completely different software and supported things like invoicing and listings that automatically disappeared after a sale, etc. That is not something the new software can do, and it won't be back. Hopefully that's not a dealbreaker, because to my knowledge there are no other forums that have that either. It was unsupportable and it's gone. All other RC forums work very similarly to the way RCU does now, except RCU is better, and continuing to improve.

What we continue to do is take suggestions for how to improve the marketplace we do have, and we anticipate the next two upgrades will take place in early June, and then again in mid June.

We appreciate your patience and hope you find the new marketplace to your liking, even if it does not mimic every feature of the old.
it actually is a dealbreaker.
the only thing that made RCU DIFFERENT FROM THE OTHER SITES IS GONE NOW. why should RCU even exist now, since it is nothing more than just another poor quality site amongst several poor quality sites?

serious question, not just sarcasm.
mongo is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:04 PM
  #160  
ChemE
 
ChemE's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 18
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default




Here is what I am talking about. The engine is sold and the add is not removed. People keep on asking if it is still for sale. There are more responses to this add, but the screenshot did not capture them

If We wanted the other sites we would go there, instead you brought them here. If you can't fix this you got nothing.

Sahag
ChemE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:20 PM
  #161  
ChemE
 
ChemE's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 18
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default



This is taken from RCG. Is this what the people of RC Universe want to become? Because we are there right now with the example of my previous post.

Sahag
ChemE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:31 PM
  #162  
mongo
My Feedback: (14)
 
mongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Midland, TX
Posts: 2,456
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

your coders need to go back and take a hard look at the functionality of the original marketplace. it was not ever a simple for sale forum. it was an auction site that had a buy now/offer now format. that functionality is what made it work and made RCU something other than just one more place to post about r/c stuff.
now yall can continue to whine about how it just can not be done that way, but those of us that were around way back when this place started know, that, with effort and the will to make it happen, it CAN BE DONE.
or yall can just rock along fat dumb and happy as this place drys up and blows away.
mongo is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:23 AM
  #163  
Auburn02
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 510
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by ChemE View Post



Here is what I am talking about. The engine is sold and the add is not removed. People keep on asking if it is still for sale. There are more responses to this add, but the screenshot did not capture them

If We wanted the other sites we would go there, instead you brought them here. If you can't fix this you got nothing.

Sahag
The guy said it was still pending funds. I too would leave an ad up in that case so that should the committed buyer fall through, I know who to go to next.

I really don't see this as an argument against the new format. In the old format, the seller had to mark the item sold or remove it. In the new format, the seller has to either post a "sold" reply or close/remove the thread. What's the real difference there?

Don't get me wrong, I hate the new marketplace but it's because of its horrible search indexing and the laughable inability to click on a photo. But I really don't see the issue with it being a forum style. I guess I never utilized the "buy now" functionality that others have referenced. I bought several things but I would do so by messaging the seller, negotiating the final price and then sending said amount to his or her paypal account. Maybe that is why this aspect of it doesn't really phase me.
Auburn02 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:07 AM
  #164  
ChemE
 
ChemE's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 18
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Yes Auburn2 is correct. But in the old market, even though the item was still up, when you looked at offers it showed the item as sold. The old market place can be described in one word: Elegant. This is why I do not see what is improved on the new market place. I guess if you tell people enough times that something is the greatest, they will soon believe it. I guess a society which will buy "Pet Rocks" can be sold anything. The owners of this site are trying to sell Pet Rocks. Does the box containing the new market place have holes for breathing? I wonder.....?

Sahag
ChemE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:27 AM
  #165  
Daleroger
My Feedback: (39)
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Erie, PA
Posts: 186
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

I visited this site daily for years. Skimmed the jet forum, mainly went to the market place. I now go every few days, until I get tired of resetting the filters 20 times to look at one category . I look over on RC Groups, almost daily now. Pretty soon I'll be gone. It's a shame nobody cares. I'm sure I'm not alone.
Daleroger is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 04:21 PM
  #166  
KFX450
My Feedback: (30)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Danville, NH
Posts: 576
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

I've been away for a little while, and came back to this site!!! Classifieds are horrible. I use to see a bunch of pages of jets for sale, seems like no one is posting to the new classifieds. What a shame. Looked at a Bobcat that was on there, might still be there, but it doesn't mark sold etc..just stays up there..weird.
KFX450 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 05:04 PM
  #167  
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (18)
 
Viper1GJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Saint George , SC
Posts: 728
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by Daleroger View Post
I visited this site daily for years. Skimmed the jet forum, mainly went to the market place. I now go every few days, until I get tired of resetting the filters 20 times to look at one category . I look over on RC Groups, almost daily now. Pretty soon I'll be gone. It's a shame nobody cares. I'm sure I'm not alone.

Ditto, lost interest after market went south.
Viper1GJ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:36 PM
  #168  
ChemE
 
ChemE's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 18
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

IBobi,

Tried to load add and this is what I got/. The add was in the radio section, large dmss garage sale I believe. from TONYJET

I am batting 0 since the new and improved change

Thank you,

Sahag
ChemE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 03:53 AM
  #169  
skunkwurk
My Feedback: (18)
 
skunkwurk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 177
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Just an opinion, but after going through the latest changes a bit more and evaluating logic on why... the only assumption/conclusion I could come up with is that RCU may have been caught up in some type of man in the middle situation on a transaction or transactions. That plus the fact that paypal typically gets paid for each transaction & RCU doesn't really get a p/transaction fee, only profile levels and ads and such as a source of revenue. It's possible the bid type service associated with an actual invoice which could be sent from the ad may have created too much risk/liability for RCU. Pivoting to a classified style system takes RCU out of the equation, from a legal standpoint. Also, a few months back there were several members mention the fact that someone had hacked their account(s), perhaps someone was defrauded by a hacked account and RCU simply decided they no longer wanted to be in the middle.

Again, complete assumption on my end, but I have not listed/sold anything since the changes. I feel like RCU was adding value in the fact that users started to become known entities (users) that could be "trusted" to a certain degree. Once the hacking of accounts came about, that was all starting to get ruined. As you start to become suspicious of trusted/known users. At the end of the day, all the bad actors always ruin everything. But, I could be completely wrong about my assumption and this may have zero to do with it. just my 2 cents...

Last edited by skunkwurk; 05-30-2018 at 04:13 AM.
skunkwurk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 06:50 AM
  #170  
ChemE
 
ChemE's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 18
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Skunk,

I had the suggestion that we pay for the service, or possibly have a pay for area. Some may like it some won't. But if you want to be safe and know the users, it may be an option. As I see it , RCU has not removed the old market. This can be done. Paypal charges 8% I believe. A fixed percentage of 1 to 3% can be used to $500 and a sliding scale lower after that amount. So if you were to sell a 3k plane, it would only be 1% or something like that.

Sahag

Last edited by ChemE; 05-30-2018 at 06:53 AM.
ChemE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:05 AM
  #171  
IBThomas
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 138
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by ChemE View Post
IBobi,

Tried to load add and this is what I got/. The add was in the radio section, large dmss garage sale I believe. from TONYJET

I am batting 0 since the new and improved change

Thank you,

Sahag


Is this your add? If it is, you might have just ran into a temporary hicup. It loaded fine for me.
IBThomas is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:46 AM
  #172  
Eaglepilot2
 
Eaglepilot2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Zebulon, NC
Posts: 262
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Have any more improvements been made, or is it as good as its going to be? It still looks very difficult to navigate. I rarely look anymore, and not so long ago, I was on it regularly.
Eaglepilot2 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:11 AM
  #173  
IBThomas
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 138
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by Eaglepilot2 View Post
Have any more improvements been made, or is it as good as its going to be? It still looks very difficult to navigate. I rarely look anymore, and not so long ago, I was on it regularly.
We have a number of updates coming up, and more that are still in the works. You can take a look at this announcement for reference: RCU Forums - Announcements in Forum : RC Jets
IBThomas is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:39 AM
  #174  
Auburn02
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 510
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Is there any way to disable the auto-paging or whatever you would call the feature that tries to open dozens (or hundreds) of thread pages in one html page? It makes it damn near impossible to navigate a large thread, especially one containing pictures as the page scrolls infinitely until all pics have loaded.

Ah ha, answered my own question! If anyone else wants to do this, User CP ---> Edit Options ---> select "Disable Infinite Scroll" - BAM

Last edited by Auburn02; 06-14-2018 at 07:42 AM.
Auburn02 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:16 AM
  #175  
IBThomas
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 138
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by Auburn02 View Post
Is there any way to disable the auto-paging or whatever you would call the feature that tries to open dozens (or hundreds) of thread pages in one html page? It makes it damn near impossible to navigate a large thread, especially one containing pictures as the page scrolls infinitely until all pics have loaded.

Ah ha, answered my own question! If anyone else wants to do this, User CP ---> Edit Options ---> select "Disable Infinite Scroll" - BAM
haha glad you figured it out. That should be a fix to your problems.
IBThomas is online now  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy