Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Michigan Jet Pilot's Boondoggle 2018

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Michigan Jet Pilot's Boondoggle 2018

Old 04-15-2018, 08:47 AM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Michigan Jet Pilot's Boondoggle 2018

This year, the Michigan Jet Pilot's Boondoggle is scheduled for August 9-12 with the addition of open fun-flying on the 12th. With a paved 3800' runway, RC Taxiways and Pit Row the event is an unforgettable experience. The paved Pit Row will have two very large tents and plenty of space for your trailer and/or pop-up. There will also be an overnight storage tent. Come fly with the sun to your back all day. We draw pilots from as far away as Tennessee, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Canada as well as all over Michigan. On-site food service provided by Dave's Riverside Café. But we also typically have a couple steak fries. Free onsite camping and RV parking. Motels and full service campgrounds within 1/2 mile. Once you come join us, this annual event will be on your calendar for the future! Baldwin Airport RC Park. (231) 745-9241 Also, don't forget the West MI Jet rally in June! Both are incredible events!

Here is a 2015 video showing the site. We have expanded the Pit Row, added large tenting and added startup pads since. Enjoy the view!

Here is a sample of what went on during last year's maiden and test flight day (Thursday):

More info can be found at www.LCMFA.com or https://www.facebook.com/LakeCountyModelersFlyersAssociation/

Last edited by Len Todd; 04-15-2018 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:45 AM
Len Todd

It just dawned on me that this event is less than two weeks away. By the way, just to clarify the flier, we do have a $35 Pilots fee to help pay for the very large Storage Tent and port-a-jons, etc.. Spectator access is free. Also I did not mention the Pilot's Dinner on Friday evening. The steaks are free. Please bring a dish to pass, which can be had at the local Deli if need be. DreamworksRC, BVM, Model Aviation Products, ElectroDynamics all provided some really nice jet related products for the pilot's drawing. Every flight earns a chance to draw off the prize tables. Did I mention that AJ Aircraft provided a 67" ARS 300 airframe? We are raffling that too. This could be one of your next winter's building projects.

Its going to be a busy month for me: Just finished a mini-rally last Saturday, Monroe/Custer this weekend, Boondoggle the next weekend and Jets over the Valley a couple weeks later. Probably will have another mini-rally here on the 18th. Lots going on at the Baldwin RC Park! Here is a link to our August News letter.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Propwash Aug 2018.pdf (4.04 MB, 32 views)
Old 08-05-2018, 12:39 PM
Len Todd

Monroe/Custer was a great weekend. Got 10 flights on the T-One. It is my new go to plane!

Sounds like there are already a lot of reservations in the local hotels for the Boondoggle. If your coming and need a motel room, you might want to think about that reservation. There are two sponsoring motels listed on the below sponsor page. If you get turned away, please feel free to contact me. I have a list of alternates. [email protected]

Thanks to our sponsors, we have some really great pilot prizes!

Old 08-12-2018, 09:40 AM
Len Todd

Well we had 33 pilots and dozens of jets. Weather was great for three days, right up until 4:45 Saturday. Then we had a hurricane blow in. But, ... Hundreds of flights. No total crashes! No major fires! Lots of spectators. Lots of compliments on the event and the field layout. (It is custom designed for RC Jets.) Lots of great prizes thanks to our generous sponsors. Really great pilot's dinner. Thanks Jon for the steaks and the excellent grill work! Most importantly, lots and lots of fun.

Larry, Rosendo, Mark and a couple sun dodgers.

Carl and his beautiful turbo prop.

It's a family thing.

A shot down the 200' pit row

Chris just chillin'.

The "East Side Jet Guys"
Old 08-12-2018, 08:39 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I have to make it up there next year for sure...