Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

BVM Cougar repair help

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

BVM Cougar repair help

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 09:53 AM
Dblex
My Feedback: (81)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BVM Cougar repair help

Ok guys,

I just received my Cougar this week and it came in with some shipping damages. Jet was packed extremely well so I don't blame that. I just need some guidance going forward with some repairs.

Wing fence was damaged on the left wing trailing edge. Looks like an OK fix but I am gonna attempt to repair without painting...No way I can match this. BUT, I am looking for ideas to get the winglets glued properly. Fortunately its only one side. Unfortunate thing is its on top where everyone can see it. Scale wear and tear comes to mind, but I am open for feedback.

Elevator damage is a cosmetic fill. Something poked it, but its gonna be fine. On the bottom where no one can see so Im ok there.

Rudder was crushed in slightly. Again, repairable...just need to get a scale look to the finish or leave it be and let it look natural.

I was mad at first, but overall it came in ok. It is what it is.......

PLEASE SEND ME THOUGHTS on fixes. My only challenge is that I dont have a paint sprayer. Repairs I can do...painting will suck.

Last edited by Dblex; 04-21-2018 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:39 AM
JoelP
My Feedback: (20)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd call BVM and ask them to replace the damaged parts!
Old 04-21-2018, 11:44 AM
Dblex

BVM didn’t ship her.. NIB but from a seller
Old 04-21-2018, 12:49 PM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

."Those things you are calling "winglets" are actuallly wing fences, boundary layer fences, flow fences etc.Read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wing_fence
Most likely they can be reattahced with ZAP gap filling CA. Just be sure none of the CA gets on the paint, as it can be hard to remove without messing up the paint.
Old 04-21-2018, 01:29 PM
Dblex

Thanks Harley! Correction made!
Old 04-21-2018, 04:17 PM
patrnflyr
My Feedback: (7)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine also had some damage to the rudder when shipped. Something poked it. I took it to the nearest automotive paint shop and they matched it perfectly. Made the repair with bondo, painted it well and then had Callie Graphics make up some panel nomenclature which broke up the lines a little. Nobody can see it whatsoever even if I tell them to find the damage. The paint store was even able to put it in a spray can already mixed for $20
Old 04-22-2018, 02:56 AM
big fred

You can take the painted parts to any auto parts store that does paint. They can scan and mix a perfect match. Repair area, airbrush matched paint over repair, sand overspray to 2000 grit, buff with polishing compound. Should be good as new and never see the repair.Also Loctite makes a product called XNMS solvent, will remove CA and depending on the paint, will not harm it. Always test on a hidden spot first. As far as filling hole, I would use a finishing compound filler, again available at auto parts stores. This has a much finer finish than the long fiber body putty does. Much of the time, if you feather the edges well you may not even need to prime before touch up paint. Good luck.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:55 AM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Preval make some paint spraying bottles and air cylinders that screw on top of the bottles to allow you to use custom paint w/o having an airbrush. Experiment a bit with the solvent to get the right paint thickness. Then go over the overspray with sandpaper as described above. If you mask at natural lines the lines can be buffed down to be relatively smooth. Also, sometimes a little clear helps smooth out the transitions from one color to another too.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:57 AM
Dblex

This was the help I was looking for guys...

Making my shopping list
Old 04-22-2018, 07:00 AM
Dblex

Originally Posted by big fred
You can take the painted parts to any auto parts store that does paint. They can scan and mix a perfect match. Repair area, airbrush matched paint over repair, sand overspray to 2000 grit, buff with polishing compound. Should be good as new and never see the repair.Also Loctite makes a product called XNMS solvent, will remove CA and depending on the paint, will not harm it. Always test on a hidden spot first. As far as filling hole, I would use a finishing compound filler, again available at auto parts stores. This has a much finer finish than the long fiber body putty does. Much of the time, if you feather the edges well you may not even need to prime before touch up paint. Good luck.
Fred, I had rattle can with paint and clear already in it made up for a Blue Angel project that I had and it worked out well. Can I use the same mixture without propellant in a hobby size sprayer?

And thanks again guys! making my shopping list now with all this help!
Old 04-22-2018, 03:40 PM
roger.alli

Harley is on the money with the wing fence repair.. Use fresh cyno, try and get it into the crack as much as possible. But be very careful with Cyno. Try not to get it anywhere you don't want it.

Is the rudder damage confined to just the faring over the hinge line? If so, I would just stitch is back together as best as possible with cyno.. Maybe medium or even thin cyno?? Sand down any bits that stick out. And if you really want to put colour back on, get a pot of Tamia model paint and an artist brush. It wont t be a perfect blend and finish, but much easier than spraying.

For the stab hole repair, here is what I would do.. Border the area with masking tape, about ½” all round. Put some filler in and sand flush with the tape in place to protect the undamaged paint. Remove the tape and put a transfer or decal over the blemish. Get one that suits the area like “ SERVICE ACCESS PANEL” Sourcing a suitable Decal is way easier than painting. :-)
Old 04-23-2018, 12:18 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Another idea: Go to HomeDepot with the part you want to paint match, and they'll mix you a batch right away and it will be exact! And you can brush it on or thin it with water and airbrush it on. Win Win!
Old 05-07-2018, 04:19 AM
big fred

Originally Posted by Dblex
Fred, I had rattle can with paint and clear already in it made up for a Blue Angel project that I had and it worked out well. Can I use the same mixture without propellant in a hobby size sprayer?

And thanks again guys! making my shopping list now with all this help!
yes, I have taken paint from spray cans and sprayed right into my airbrush cup to use.