Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

First time Jet

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

First time Jet

Old 04-24-2018, 09:46 PM
erh7771
My Feedback: (30)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by camss69
I’m kind of in the same boat, with a similar budget. I’ve been going back and fourth between the HSD Super Viper and the T-1 Mini. I was also going back and fourth between the Swiwin 60B and going with the Kingtech 70. I finally decided on the Kingtech and got it but the HSD SV has been out of stock and isn’t scheduled to be back in stock until June. Now I’m taking another look at the T1 Mini, but it ends up being quite a bit more expensive than the SV and obviously a lot tougher to fix a composite. Maybe I’ll just save up a little more and get the T1 Mini, I’d rather have it anyway.
HSDGO.com has most if not all of the SV's in stock
Old 04-25-2018, 04:49 AM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

The only SV they have in stock is the Economy version, all the rest are “pre-order” and not expected in stock until June.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:19 AM
sweetpea01
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks again to everyone for the help/suggestions, it is appreciated.

They are appreciated. I had nothing but dreams last night about thinking on how to make my F16 work faster. The intent of that plane was to repaint it and customize it to me. I can probably get FalconWings on here to give me all the help I need with setting it up properly via long distance email/text. I'm sure I'd just be worried about the maiden (the takeoff and the landing only). Once I got that under the belt I'm sure I'd be ok learning on it. It is the "cheapest" option has I have everything for that plane right now and if I forgo some things like gear doors and some other "BLING" things I might be able to get it airborne in the next month.

I'm still not 100% sure yet if that is the route I wanna go with the limited local help I'm going to have.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:22 AM
DAN 73

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,sweetpea01.

Forget about these variants too.
https://sebart-shop.com/it/jets/654-avanti-s-2m.html

Hebu Shop - Dolphin-Jet 86, Spw 2200mm, für 8 - 14kg Turbinen, ARF-Modell von Pilot-RC 410790-8

Hebu Shop - Viper-Jet, Spw 2200mm, ARF-Modell von FlyFlyhobby 412405-A

Last edited by DAN 73; 04-25-2018 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-26-2018, 04:53 AM
sweetpea01

Most of those are from foreign shipping and prices. I'd be looking for the USA distributors. I'll have to do some checking.

From what research I have done, the Sebart line of planes are too expensive.
The Viper jet is ok in body style, but they tend to be too large for the engine I have on hand (I don't want to be on the low end of power)
Dolphin---I know there were issues with the tail moment on some company versions. Not sure about the one listed above.

I'd be looking for something I don't have to worry about Mods....I have that now.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:17 AM
LimitDwn
My Feedback: (21)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Sweetpea01.

I know you said Reaction 54 was on the list of don't want, but have you looked at the PST Reaction, it is full composite construction and a great first jet. I can say from experience that I have flown one for four seasons, going onto number five and yes it was my first jet and I still enjoy flying it as if was the first flight. It will fly with a turbine from 14 to 20lbs. and has great visibility and flight characteristics. The only thing that I would not buy from PST is the landing gear, not very strong and not trailing link, DreamWorks has a set that will drop in. There is a PST dealer in NY, as per the web site. As for getting help, if you are willing to drive a little bit the Night Hawk club in North Jackson has a number of excellent jet pilots that would be willing to help and it a really nice flying site.

Good luck, and as said earlier in the thread once you start there will be no turning back, very addictive.

Robert
Old 04-27-2018, 11:27 AM
sweetpea01

I'm still not a fan of that reaction/ventrix/turbinator body style. basically where the tail sits over the turbine and the fatter body style and wings. While they may fly nice and be in my price point, I just can't pull the trigger on something that visually doesn't appeal to me.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:06 PM
erh7771

Originally Posted by sweetpea01
I'm still not a fan of that reaction/ventrix/turbinator body style. basically where the tail sits over the turbine and the fatter body style and wings. While they may fly nice and be in my price point, I just can't pull the trigger on something that visually doesn't appeal to me.
Here's a direct link to the foamy turbine Mirage - LINK

its in stock, not on preorder and will take up to a 100 sized turbine.

One thing about the foamies turbines is if you keep the box and they're fairly kept decent looking they're resalable without taking too much of a hit.
Old 04-28-2018, 12:55 AM
erh7771

There's also this - 86 inch Dolphin Trainer Turbine Jet ARF, Standard Wing, Silver/Blue, from Pilot RC, prc-dol86-07-lg - Chief Aircraft Inc.

Looks like the price is right and a good size model
Old 04-30-2018, 03:32 AM
sweetpea01

I've heard a lot of bad reviews of the Dolphin in regards to the tail moment not being correct. I'm not sure that ever completely got fixed.

Things I found out so far.....

Tony @ Pilot said that the Predator 1.8 will fit the Rabbit VT-90....none in stock, min 8wk delivery
Dirk @ Pacific Jets said that the Mini T-1 won't fit the Rabbit VT-90. Its on the lower end of the T-1 power requirements but the price point is so much higher....none in stock, min 8 wk delivery
Ventrix threads are pretty quiet with no real flight reviews (probably the most favorite of the wood sport jets, but not my first choice).

My budget is closer to $3k but not over that, but the jet needs to be plug a turbine in and go fly. The F-16 or the Falcon are looking like more along the choice with 8wk delivery. I can probably get one of those up and running in that kind of time frame.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:44 AM
rcflyguy_26
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first one was the Pilot Dolphin. Never had any issues with it
Old 04-30-2018, 10:14 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

I've heard a lot of bad reviews of the Dolphin in regards to the tail moment not being correct. I'm not sure that ever completely got fixed.

Things I found out so far.....

Tony @ Pilot said that the Predator 1.8 will fit the Rabbit VT-90....none in stock, min 8wk delivery
Dirk @ Pacific Jets said that the Mini T-1 won't fit the Rabbit VT-90. Its on the lower end of the T-1 power requirements but the price point is so much higher....none in stock, min 8 wk delivery
Ventrix threads are pretty quiet with no real flight reviews (probably the most favorite of the wood sport jets, but not my first choice).

My budget is closer to $3k but not over that, but the jet needs to be plug a turbine in and go fly. The F-16 or the Falcon are looking like more along the choice with 8wk delivery. I can probably get one of those up and running in that kind of time frame.
That is pretty much the way the turbine vendors have gone; order only. There are just so many color schemes available and different options like electric or pneumatic gear, it's just not feasible for a dealer to stock models anymore. The sad part especially for someone in your position of wanting something soon, is that the delivery times shown are rarely accurate. I've got a turbine coming that I ordered and paid for last November, they were supposed to be here mid February, i'm told mine has been built and is waiting for paint. That's another thing which has changed; they've started moving away from deposits to order a model, to full payment up front and they ship direct from the manufacturer to the customer's door.

I still think your best bet is a nice used one that most likely could be found at Kentucky Jets and that's only a matter of a couple of weeks away....
Old 04-30-2018, 12:01 PM
sweetpea01

Keep rubbing in Kentucky Jets (because I can't commit to the whole thing!!!),, but if anyone knows of such a plane that fits me....let me know. It can be servoless I have lots of 8411's lying around and small wing servos also.

I don't overly mind the pay in full, I do mind the long lead times. I was hoping one of the companies had a cancelled order in stock....but nope. With the lead times being 8 wks, I am in talks with a couple folks on the feasibility of helping me on finishing out my F16 to an acceptable/safe level as well (I would think I could do that in 8wks).
Old 04-30-2018, 02:47 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

Keep rubbing in Kentucky Jets (because I can't commit to the whole thing!!!),, but if anyone knows of such a plane that fits me....let me know. It can be servoless I have lots of 8411's lying around and small wing servos also.

I don't overly mind the pay in full, I do mind the long lead times. I was hoping one of the companies had a cancelled order in stock....but nope. With the lead times being 8 wks, I am in talks with a couple folks on the feasibility of helping me on finishing out my F16 to an acceptable/safe level as well (I would think I could do that in 8wks).
The T-One I bought from a guy over on FG that was NIB with all the goodies to put it together, was ordered in January of last year and didn't show up until November. That is common with that manufacturer and Dirk (Pacific RC Jets) seriously needs to work on that problem. It's the main reason I hadn't tried one was the long lead times, but in this case it worked out well. As for something else, I've seen models turn up on RCGroups for real reasonable but they need work. I'd just go with the F16 plan if Kentucky doesn't work out for you.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:16 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I know of a dolphin for sale at a great price. The shipping would be a bit but might be worth it. It is Dean Wichmann's. He has it dialed in great. No issues that I could see.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:27 AM
sweetpea01

Originally Posted by LGM Graphix
I know of a dolphin for sale at a great price. The shipping would be a bit but might be worth it. It is Dean Wichmann's. He has it dialed in great. No issues that I could see.
Please let him know to contact me here on RCU if he is thinking of selling. I have questions, like which wing it has etc.

My concern with the dolphin was in the threads here on RCU

"The tail increase was what I did for the sport wing, really the trainer wing needs a big tail again...and more moment arm length...
This model is lightly loaded, but not naturally stable. "