Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Skymaster Viper fiery crash.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Skymaster Viper fiery crash.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 07:38 PM
Aussie1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Unhappy Skymaster Viper fiery crash.

Hi everyone, I have posted this elsewhere, but thought that I would share with you on this forum, as well.
This was my favorite jet, but sadly, a couple of weeks ago, after approximately 35 flights, a flap servo on the right wing, decided to go almost full down, causing a uncontrollable roll. It dove straight in at very high speed, and even though I cut the engine in the dive, the force of the impact meant that the engine flew forward through the half empty JetA1 fuel tanks and exploded!! The resulting fire destroyed absolutely EVERYTHING!! Amazingly, the little Mobius camera flew off the tail fin, landed upright away from the fire, pointing at the scene, and STILL RECORDING!!! I was rather upset at the time, and in two minds as whether to publish this or not, but I believe that nothing like this has ever been captured before, in a model airplane crash. I'm a airline Captain, and safety is always the top of our list, but with highly complex model turbine jets, sometimes equipment failure will result in a catastrophic crash. In this case, a $100 servo most probably caused the crash. Ironically, the only thing to survive was most of the right wing with the right flap servo completely frozen in the position shown in one of the final pictures. Thanks for watching, but as they say, "sometimes, sh...t happens!!"
The video link is here.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:19 PM
AshC01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very unusual for a servo to go full deflection when not activated by a switch/slider, which may point to something else electrical wise on that flap wire? Just a thought.
huge impact though, sorry to see. Hopefully no bad omens for Jet Action in couple weeks
Old 05-06-2018, 09:41 PM
Aussie1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AshC01
Very unusual for a servo to go full deflection when not activated by a switch/slider, which may point to something else electrical wise on that flap wire? Just a thought.
huge impact though, sorry to see. Hopefully no bad omens for Jet Action in couple weeks
Thanks Ash, for your thoughts. I will never know for sure, but it rolled hard left, uncontrolled, and surviving right flap was found frozen in almost full down position.I could not move the servo by hand. It happens so quick, I only had time to shut off the turbine. Didn't really help much, though! Yes, I will be at Jet Action, flying my other jets, but that Viper was definitely my best jet.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:44 PM
AshC01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool, I will be there flying on the sunday only!
Old 05-06-2018, 11:27 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Sorry for your loss mate. If it helps, I had the same thing happen to me a number of years ago with a SM Hawk 100 and eventually found that it was a faulty extention lead (making intermittent contact) that caused the flap to defect on it's own.

Cheers,

JanR
Old 05-07-2018, 03:07 AM
Jannica

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Sorry for your loss. You never know when the end comes.

Rare Viper eating tree in Sweden.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:25 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry for your crash. You may also check for your transmitter potentiometer/hall effect wiring in your aleiron stick. If there is a broken/partially broken wire there, the TX can give you full aleiron deflection.

However it is more likely that the aleiron got stuck due a mechanical problem, like a servo or a faiiled hinge. :-(
Old 05-07-2018, 05:01 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

I had a JR MP91T do the same thing on aileron F3A 2m Electric plane a couple years ago......jam solid....total lost. That servo was purchased new and had about 150 Flights.....
Old 05-07-2018, 06:36 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like uncontrolled aileron roll..Gyro came loose if you had one installed? There is a video on youtube with a viper jet with one flap malfunction..he manage to land ok.

Last edited by basimpsn; 05-07-2018 at 06:40 AM.