Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Advice for 1st Scale Competition Airplane?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Advice for 1st Scale Competition Airplane?

Old 05-09-2018, 03:11 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Advice for 1st Scale Competition Airplane?

Seeing the latest pics and results from Top Gun has me motivated to build a scale competition airplane. Problem is, I'm not sure what to build. So I'm looking for suggestions. I'd like to stay within a max length of 100" or so but smaller is OK too, and something where the outline doesn't require a ton of work to fix. Basically a good baseline to build from. Budget is around $6k for the kit, but I can go a little more for the right airplane.

Suggestions? Not interested in an ARF.. I want to actually build it, and detail it myself.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:46 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Hello Doug
This is a tough one. Lots to consider. Here are some things to think about.

>it needs to be bigger to have a light wing loading and fly slow. The judges will kill your score if you are flying to fast. This is why the bigger hawks and L39s do so well. An airplane that will fly slow cannot be stressed enough.
>The gear needs to be near the CG. F18s F22s and planes like that have the CG a good distance in front of the main gear. This can cause the takeoffs to not be so smooth. This will make you loose points.
>Before you get a plane you need to make sure you can get lots of scale documentation for it.
>Having a twin engine plane is an easy way to get an extra 10 by using multi engine as an option. This adds to cost and complexity though.
>The plane needs to have reliable gear and doors. One hangs out you will loose points.
> The Chinese ARFS can qualify for the builder rule if you paint it your self but...... The outlines are off by a ton. Some more then others.

That is just a few things to think about. It might be better to start off in the ARF class Proam Sport and fly that class for a few years and get the hang of flying at the event and learning the first few years then try and tackle the static side. This year was one of the larger topguns I have seen. Love that scale flight seems to be doing ok. If you need any help let me know. Here was my projet entry

Last edited by gunradd; 05-09-2018 at 05:48 AM.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:47 AM
gunradd

F84

Picture is not working
Old 05-09-2018, 06:32 AM
Doug Cronkhite

Is your F-84 one of the Norway airplanes that you can't get anymore? I've been looking at the CARF-Models MiG-15, and the Airworld MiG-21, and Grumman Cougar. If I could find a good deal on a BVM 80" F-86 I'd jump at that, but they seem to be gone. I've flown the task a bit in the past.. I'm not worried about the flying side at all. The building and detailing side intrigues me to no end, but I don't want to start myself off with huge glaring errors to correct in a kit if I can help it.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:42 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by gunradd

F84

Picture is not working
This scraggly looking thing?

Edit: weird, not working for me either
Old 05-09-2018, 07:16 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

If I ever competed..........this would be my #1 choice. Nothing like it at the field.
I would also add a B61 Nuclear Warhead at Station 4 and 6.

Model airplanes Scale-Jets €¢ Scale-Jets.com

Last edited by FalconWings; 05-09-2018 at 07:19 AM.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:36 AM
gunradd

Originally Posted by Doug Cronkhite
Is your F-84 one of the Norway airplanes that you can't get anymore? I've been looking at the CARF-Models MiG-15, and the Airworld MiG-21, and Grumman Cougar. If I could find a good deal on a BVM 80" F-86 I'd jump at that, but they seem to be gone. I've flown the task a bit in the past.. I'm not worried about the flying side at all. The building and detailing side intrigues me to no end, but I don't want to start myself off with huge glaring errors to correct in a kit if I can help it.

all of those planes you listed are good planes also the one falcon wings posted is a good one. You are on the right track.

yes f84 is one of those old ones. Think this one is about 30 years old. I just built it recently though. They might still be aviable.

talked to Oli from ultimate jets and they will be releasing a very nice f84 same size but extremely scale. Would be a perfect plane also.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:16 AM
marc s

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oli's kit would be ideal - F84-F has loads of scale options, great schemes and wide gear platform.

marcs
Old 05-09-2018, 11:24 AM
mikes68charger

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with all said.

1 more big item. Once you somewhat chose a jet. You need to get all your documentation before you order!

There is is nothing worse than being in love with an F86 with a pictular paint scheme but find out the kit you ordered is a different version, ie your kit is missing the leading edge slats or different wing tip shapes. These are big changes to make to any kit.

But building any jet with the scheme you like that is still around in a museum is a huge pluse! I’m my Scale contest, haveing real color photos of your exact jet will make a huge difference!

I know getting documentation sucks but it will make or brake your stactic score!

There are 2 good online sources for pictures.

My scale contest Jet was going to be 1:4 F86 from Miracle. It’s all wood build, light and great flyers, but this is when I figured out some of the rear parts of the fuse is not true Scale.

Haveing built 2 Airworld models kits there a great start
Old 05-09-2018, 12:23 PM
patf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

what i was wondering is coming up, who makes a true scale outline kit ... are avonds any better than skymaster or jet legend? working with the stated budget i would see how much work the model/vendor you decided on is going to take to get it competitive
Old 05-09-2018, 05:43 PM
Doug Cronkhite

Phillip has definitely done his homework on outline for his airplanes. His original F-15 won the F4C world championships years ago. His newest F-15C is an option as well.

Last edited by Doug Cronkhite; 05-09-2018 at 06:15 PM.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:43 PM
F1 Rocket

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Hi Doug,
I have a NIB BVM 84” F86 in the Skyblazers scheme. Yes it’s an ARF but these are great flying airplanes and would make a great first scale competition jet. This airplane was well over $12K with all the options. The owner doesn’t want it anymore and is VERY motivated to sell it. Call for details. 407-687-3126
Old 05-09-2018, 06:13 PM
Doug Cronkhite

Originally Posted by marc s
Oli's kit would be ideal - F84-F has loads of scale options, great schemes and wide gear platform.

marcs
Oli's kit unpainted might be a place I start, but that airplane is a ways away from being ready for sale.. I was hoping to start something when I get home from this deployment in August.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:54 PM
Doug Cronkhite

Originally Posted by F1 Rocket
Hi Doug,
I have a NIB BVM 84” F86 in the Skyblazers scheme. Yes it’s an ARF but these are great flying airplanes and would make a great first scale competition jet. This airplane was well over $12K with all the options. The owner doesn’t want it anymore and is VERY motivated to sell it. Call for details. 407-687-3126
Appreciate it. If it was the 80" kit I might be more interested. I actually want to build it. It's a personal thing, but I feel like flying an ARF in scale competition is a bit like cheating. Plus I'm not sure he would come down into my budget range with a 12k starting price.

Last edited by Doug Cronkhite; 05-09-2018 at 06:59 PM.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:46 PM
sonicboom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ho about a Carf Mig15?
Old 05-09-2018, 08:47 PM
sonicboom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 05-09-2018, 09:19 PM
Doug Cronkhite

Originally Posted by sonicboom
Ho about a Carf Mig15?
I've definitely been looking at that one.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:15 AM
F1 Rocket

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Appreciate it. If it was the 80" kit I might be more interested. I actually want to build it. It's a personal thing, but I feel like flying an ARF in scale competition is a bit like cheating. Plus I'm not sure he would come down into my budget range with a 12k starting price.
Price is $7K. It’s BVM so there is plenty of building needed
It comes with every option available for this airplane, including the speed brakes and electric gear.
Old 05-10-2018, 03:28 AM
FalconWings

I have never seen anything like this before, sans the russian Yak.

Old 05-10-2018, 03:38 AM
Doug Cronkhite

Yeah.. that's a $15k kit if I remember right.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:08 AM
FalconWings

Yeah.. that's a $15k kit if I remember right.
More like $10K for basic kit, which is not too far from other offerings. But a finished competition model will get you there ($15K). Pbly average for a competition model.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:47 AM
skunkwurk
My Feedback: (18)

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

F84

Picture is not working
Gun, did you post a build thread for this beauty?

sc
Old 05-10-2018, 10:07 AM
gunradd

Originally Posted by skunkwurk
Gun, did you post a build thread for this beauty?

sc
I didn't unfortunately. Was really pressed for time on it. It was a lot of work. When I got it it was in pretty rough shape sitting around for around 30 years. Lots of hanger rash peeling primer you name it. Also redid most of the work that was already done to it. Got it done just before florida jets then a radio issue caused a flameout at FLjets and it received heavy damage. Had my work cut out for me to get it ready for topgun in time. Got it done just before the event. The first flight where the gear worked was my judged flight round lol. It flew with no issues rest of the week and love it. It is the best flying scale plane I have ever flown. first 2 rounds was 94 and 95 then got a feel for her and got a 98 on my last flight. So not great but did ok for a plane that I just got dialed in during the event.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:10 AM
skunkwurk
My Feedback: (18)

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

I didn't unfortunately. Was really pressed for time on it. It was a lot of work. When I got it it was in pretty rough shape sitting around for around 30 years. Lots of hanger rash peeling primer you name it. Also redid most of the work that was already done to it. Got it done just before florida jets then a radio issue caused a flameout at FLjets and it received heavy damage. Had my work cut out for me to get it ready for topgun in time. Got it done just before the event. The first flight where the gear worked was my judged flight round lol. It flew with no issues rest of the week and love it. It is the best flying scale plane I have ever flown. first 2 rounds was 94 and 95 then got a feel for her and got a 98 on my last flight. So not great but did ok for a plane that I just got dialed in during the event.
Ah man, I'm glad you got it worked out, it looks new to me It's a nice looking plane. Plus there aren't many out there either, so it isn't a "me too" plane. Enjoy it!
Old 05-10-2018, 10:20 AM
gunradd

Originally Posted by skunkwurk
Ah man, I'm glad you got it worked out, it looks new to me It's a nice looking plane. Plus there aren't many out there either, so it isn't a "me too" plane. Enjoy it!

thanks 😎

here are a few pics of the damage. Did the entire repair including panel lines rivets painting and weathering in 2 months.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.