Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

PB iGyro & heading gain on a jet...

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

PB iGyro & heading gain on a jet...

Old 05-10-2018, 12:38 PM
skunkwurk
My Feedback: (18)

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts
Default PB iGyro & heading gain on a jet...

Hello,

I would like to request your comments and opinion related to the use of heading gain on aileron and elevator in your flight condition. I only use PowerBox gyros exclusively, with very positive results. Recently I have been asking fellow modelers which use other brands and they typically recommend against using heading gain. I'm kind of used to it, when I started using PB's gyros I got used to using their flight assistant to program the gyro in flight. If you do this, it will typically set heading gain to 1/2 the % of the normal gain setting. For example, if you fly and set aileron to 40% normal gain, it will automatically set heading gain for aileron to 20%. I have gotten used to the feeling, it works well for me. The biggest issue with a new model is the occasional feeling of mushiness, which I eliminate by reducing the heading gain or reducing expo on the specific axis.

My questions?:
  1. Do you use the flight assistant?
    1. if yes, do use keep the default 1/2 % gain setting or modify it?
  2. Do you use any level of heading gain on your non-PB gyro setting?
    1. Why or why not?
  3. Any comments related to the subject would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

sc
Old 05-10-2018, 01:38 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 731 Likes on 527 Posts

Depends on the airframe. I'm also exclusively PB gyros. I always adjust the HH gain after the test flight assistant (if i know the airframe well, I sometimes manually set the gains and don't bother with the assistant) Most airframes benefit from a small amount of HH on ailerons, 10-20%, elevator I would normally remove the HH totally-But heavily loaded airframes or models with a big balance shift during fuel burn benefit from some HH on elevator (pitch) My DJ F-35 with lifting fuselage I fly with a 3e and use HH on both axis. On the Mini Xcalibur, I use HH on pitch as it helps with the very nose heavy start of the flight when full of fuel.
Since the HH is removed when you move the stick you can fly with it all the time...but landing a lightly loaded airframe in HH can lead to a messy stall.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:51 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

Heading hold releases as you move the stick away from center and reverts to rate mode on the iGyro. So people flying a Cortex or whatever that don't, really can't give advice on flying heading mode on the igyro because it functions differently.
Old 05-10-2018, 03:39 PM
skunkwurk
My Feedback: (18)

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

I totally agree with you guys. I figured PB is doing things different than the other vendors as everyone I ask that uses the other brands are pretty consistent regarding keeping it off. I've only used PB so I can't tell the difference. But PB users kind of all agree that there is some degree of benefit in using HH gain.

thanks fellas!
Old 05-13-2018, 02:00 PM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Always great results with PB heading hold mode on Jets (and props)

Not convinced on the GPS ground speed to setup the gain... Maybe if we could get air speed instead..
Old 05-14-2018, 04:49 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

Meh, I wouldn't bother fooling with that. I just bump the gain when the gear is down by about 8 to 10 points.