Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Will US jet flyers suffer because of Trumps latest tarriff rants?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Will US jet flyers suffer because of Trumps latest tarriff rants?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 05:14 AM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

We no longer have any/many rc products made in the USA. Most are made in China now. Sig, Midwest, and many others are gone. Even BVM, the company long noted for quality has had bow the economics of dumping products. We cant compete with a guy making $5/day to manufacture model airplane parts. They build a jet for $500 then selling it to us for $5000. We are the fools, and yes I am one also. Short term tariffs might be just what the doctor ordered to restore free trade and our American jobs.

Last edited by tp777fo; 07-31-2018 at 05:18 AM.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:32 AM
patf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Tom
I am all for bringing jobs back and even without that if this maneuver levels the playing field, but when have we ever seen a fee or tax be rescinded, and we actually see the savings?
Old 07-31-2018, 07:05 AM
ledd4u
My Feedback: (23)

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

It will go somewhere else other than China don’t be fooled guys. Wish it was true. I have. 1961 Magnavox console stereo all made in the U.S.. My dad always said in the early 70’s look “made in USA”. Later he said look “made in Japan”. He has passed away but he said all that China stuff is junk. If he would be alive right now, he would be so freaking happy! He would say “look made in USA again!
Old 07-31-2018, 08:04 AM
Kelly Rohrbach
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the short term it may not be fun to pay more, but if it levels the playing field so we can get manufacturing jobs back in the country than it more than makes sense. I doubt there are many communities throughout this country that have not lost manufactures, JOBS. No jobs no income no jets anyway tariffs or not!!
Old 07-31-2018, 11:01 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

We have lost Mfg jobs, and will continue to do so, as a result of automation. Low wage manufacturing jobs is not what the doctor is ordering. Education, patent generation and technology management is key.

For those who care to read and be informed:

Russ Roberts Why Are We Losing Manufacturing Jobs? - Russ Roberts

Don?t Blame China For Taking U.S. Jobs | Fortune

https://www.ft.com/content/dec677c0-...5-95d1533d9a62
Old 08-01-2018, 05:21 PM
Sparhawk

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something doesn't add up. Futaba is a Japanese company, but their radios ( at least my 18SZ) and any receiver box I picked up, indicate "Made in Taiwan".
To me, it looks like Esprit Models are using the tariff bs to increase their profit margin. Nothing more.
If anyone has any of the above radios, read you box and see where it is made.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:53 AM
FalconWings

Right now tariffs are only a matter of speculation. Wall Street is loving it (go figure!). New drafts for trade treaties are on the way.....or some would hope.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:45 AM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only impact tariffs will have is to raise consumer prices. We will all pay more no matter what country you are in. The beneficiary is the respective government. Every country whose products you tariff will retaliate with their own tariffs. Canada already has imposed tariffs equal to the US ones so although for example, US steel companies may benefit from US tariffs on imports , other companies/ industries that export to Canada will suffer. Canada went so far as to target companies that manufacture in US Republican strongholds so as to put political pressure on as well. The same will happen with every other trading partner.

This is not good for anyone, It's just a *** for tat strategy with only the governments winning.

Last edited by luv2flyrc; 08-02-2018 at 05:15 AM.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:02 AM
paulsf86
My Feedback: (52)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

18sz is made in china, just looked at the box. Price is up by the 26% electronics tariff. Yes jobs may come back to US but prices will never go down. US workers demand higher wages, pensions and benefits that will always keep product prices high.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:38 AM
FalconWings

Originally Posted by paulsf86
18sz is made in china, just looked at the box. Price is up by the 26% electronics tariff. Yes jobs may come back to US but prices will never go down. US workers demand higher wages, pensions and benefits that will always keep product prices high.
Jobs are NOT going to come back to the US. That is a fallacy.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:03 AM
TJC333

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The U.S. imports four times as much product from China as we export to them. Trump is using the tariffs as temporary leverage to force China to the negotiating table. We have four times as many ways to retaliate against China as they have to retaliate against us. Guess who wins the trade war. Once Trump gets a better trade deal from China the tariffs will be gone and we gain manufacturing jobs that this country needs. Give it time to play out.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:12 AM
TJC333

Originally Posted by FalconWings
We have lost Mfg jobs, and will continue to do so, as a result of automation. Low wage manufacturing jobs is not what the doctor is ordering. Education, patent generation and technology management is key.

For those who care to read and be informed:

Russ Roberts Why Are We Losing Manufacturing Jobs? - Russ Roberts

Don?t Blame China For Taking U.S. Jobs Fortune

https://www.ft.com/content/dec677c0-...5-95d1533d9a62
Dozens of times over the past fifteen years I have heard news stories of U.S. factories closing down and moving to Mexico or China. Those factories in Mexico and China are not full of robots. They are full of workers who get paid much less than U.S. workers. No question automation has replaced some U.S. manufacturing jobs however the bigger problem has been Washington's flawed trade policies allowing low labor cost countries to sell their products in this country forcing U.S. companies to move their factory to low labor cost countries. The U.S. has a massive trade deficit and it has hurt this country severely.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:37 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Desertlakesflying
China will not be able to withstand what is currently happening long enough to trickle down to us. The biggest problem with this whole trade/tariff reporting is the blatant anti Trump bias of the media which is no longer independent.
Yeah, fox news always lies.

The media has NEVER been independent. Innate human bias is just that, innate.

From John Adams (alien and sedition act) to Abraham Lincoln (approval to suspend habeas corpus in March of 1863-arresting many newspaper people)....etc.... And now Trump with "fakenews".

Chinese tariffs on soybeans and Trump will give our farmers millions in aid?! Can I have some money too? My toy airplanes are getting more expensive.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:39 AM
ravill

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by FalconWings
Jobs are NOT going to come back to the US. That is a fallacy.
#fact #notfakenews
Old 08-03-2018, 10:51 AM
FalconWings

Originally Posted by ravill
#fact #notfakenews
No bailout for you Rav. Come back, one year!

Old 08-03-2018, 11:50 AM
Sparhawk

Originally Posted by paulsf86
That's interesting because my box clearly says "Made in Taiwan". I sourced mine through the LHS as well.
Even the label with the serial number on the back of the radio says "Made in Taiwan".
Old 08-03-2018, 04:23 PM
thunderchief

For me the increase in cost
is offset by my tax cut. And by the way I stand and put my hand over my heart when the flag goes by and the music is playing.GC American!
Old 08-03-2018, 05:03 PM
Bob_B

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Sparhawk
That's interesting because my box clearly says "Made in Taiwan". I sourced mine through the LHS as well.
Even the label with the serial number on the back of the radio says "Made in Taiwan".
Taiwan, Republic of China!
Old 08-03-2018, 06:20 PM
Sparhawk

And here I thought it was an independent country, separate flag, currency, etc. Confusion over People's Republic and just Republic...a weird history for sure.
I always identified with "China" with mainland China and not Taiwan.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:54 AM
TJC333

Originally Posted by ravill
#fact #notfakenews
If we force a reduction in imports and make the products here instead that creates manufacturing jobs here.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:00 AM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TJC333
If we force a reduction in imports and make the products here instead that creates manufacturing jobs here.
It may but, it also creates high priced American products. So, you have a few more jobs here for some but, everyone pays a whole lot more for what ever they buy.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:16 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

And then you loose all the transport/docks and import jobs, plus other country’s will/have put taxes on your export/import to counter the effect....this is a loose loose tax scheme were only the gouvernements win big (all of them) and we all end up paying more, nobody win!
Old 08-06-2018, 01:35 PM
jetmaven

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's no way you'll ever see an American made radio again. The last one may have been an old Heathkit I built in my kitchen . Those jobs will not return , get over it ,it's a ridiculous proposition .
You want to work a production line for .50 cents an hour ? Thats why Foxconn has a suicide net around its Chinese factory , and you paid for that too.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:32 PM
paulsf86
My Feedback: (52)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

18sz ? Look again, different models are made in different countries. Just bought 18SZ in January and box clearly says made in china. Now price is 25% higher than I paid.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:37 AM
ZB

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

https://www.getfpv.com/government-tariff

U.S. Government Tariff Surcharge

The U.S. Government recently imposed a special 25% Tariff on many products we import from China. This Tariff is in addition to the existing duties, which are anywhere from 2–5 percent for many of the products we import. The new Tariff took effect on July 6, 2018.

Products covered by this first round of Tariffs include brushless motors, antennas, LIPOs, ESCs, receivers, etc. Two more rounds of Tariffs, which will cover even more of the products we sell, are currently in the review stage and are likely to take effect in September.

Therefore, GetFPV is currently adding a fee of 2.9% to each order sub-total to help cover this new 25% Tariff. We decided to spread this burden across all our orders to lessen the blow for individual products. For instance, we want you to be able to buy brushless motors and LIPOs (which every FPV pilot must have and buys frequently) at close to the original price - not a 25% premium. Spreading the Tariff cost among all of us is our way to make us all part of the solution, even if some products, like propellers or goggles, do not carry a Tariff (yet). The FPV community is united in our love for FPV, and we hope you agree with our approach to work through the current trade war troubles as a community. We are hopeful that our Government officials will work through the ongoing trade disagreements with China and that these Tariffs will disappear quickly.

Over the coming weeks, the current surcharge we're adding is likely going to adjust (up or down) as we learn more about the actual Tariff fees we are charged with and as new products are affected by these Tariffs. As a company, we have decided to cover approximately 5% of the total incremental Tariff fees we get hit with to do our share during this difficult time.

Sincerely,
Tim Nilson
CEO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.