RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Flying Wing Rudders

Old 07-13-2018, 12:41 PM
flyinfool1
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Flying Wing Rudders

I have looked at a few flying wing jets. I have 2 in the building que right now. I have a Yellow Aircraft Stingray that will be turbine powered, and a Super scout for a pulse jet. Looking at all the info that I can find I have found examples of both of these aircraft built with various rudder configurations. Some built with the rudders canted in, some vertical and some with the rudders canted out. Both have the rudders far enough apart that heat should not be an issue for canted in or vertical.
Are there any aerodynamic reasons to favor one of the 3 configurations? For looks I like the canted in. The most prevalent is vertical. To me performance will always win over looks.

So what are the advantages or disadvantages of each configuration?
Old 07-13-2018, 02:50 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

As far as I know, none on our models, full size aircraft like the SR-71 maybe a different story, the Stingray I had and the one a friend had were build with vertical stabs.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:56 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ok, found a good explanation, in a nut shell.
The wing loses lift after the AoA crosses a certain angle, with the result that the airplane is no longer controllable.

This is the reason we have two long wing leading edge extensions in the F/A-18 in front of each wing. In the SR-71, the entire fuselage (body) of the front of the airplane has this kind of a sharp edge. These sharp edges and wing root extensions produce vortexes, which, by design, bring air flow to the parts of the airplane which have low dynamic pressure.

The fins are tilted inwards, because the aerodynamics of the airplane produces a vortex that brings flow to the inboard parts of the wing.

Last edited by CARS II; 07-13-2018 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:03 AM
flyinfool1
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Stingray would be harder to build with canted Verticals, But the Super Scout would be pretty easy to tilt in. I just watched a vid of a Super Scout and the verticals were tilted in just a bit and I thought it looked cool. This was the first and only SS that I ever saw with tilted fins. I think I will put them perpendicular to the wing surface on one side which will effectively have them tilted just a bit due to the taper of the wing and the taper of the fin.
I just like to be different.......