Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Dreamworks Stay Away

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Dreamworks Stay Away

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 10:51 AM
proline8000
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dreamworks Stay Away

Dreamworks sold me 2 Futaba receivers that don't work for our jet applications. They admitted they don't work and refuse to take them back stating policy. I asked for them to do the right thing but they won't. This has been a trend with them and it is time to send a message to them Do the right thing.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:54 AM
geneh-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

What receivers did you buy and why won't they work in Jets?
Old 07-30-2018, 11:18 AM
proline8000

R7018SB 18 channel only good for a couple of high torque digital servos They knew the problem and admitted it but wouldn't take them back because it was longer than 30 days
Old 07-30-2018, 11:31 AM
rcflyguy_26
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, why did you order receivers that don't work for your application?
Old 07-30-2018, 11:38 AM
rcflyguy_26

Most companies will not take back electronic components.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:46 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by proline8000
Dreamworks sold me 2 Futaba receivers that don't work for our jet applications. They admitted they don't work and refuse to take them back stating policy. I asked for them to do the right thing but they won't. This has been a trend with them and it is time to send a message to them Do the right thing.
Ah, that receiver was discontinued by Futaba over a year ago, NOBODY will take it back or buy it from you. That was one of the few products (IMHO) that Futaba produced that was a POS out of the box.

I would not blame any retailer for not taking back that receiver - especially if you bought it some time ago... Blame Futaba for making it in the first place

Bob
Old 07-30-2018, 11:54 AM
rcjets12
My Feedback: (21)

The Full Story,

These Futaba 7018SB receivers were purchased on April 15 2018 by Michael, Now 105 days later he calls to tell me that these are defective and that Futaba told him to send back to Dreamworks. Well no way that we would take back electronics that have been opened let alone 105 days later. We all know they have to go back to the manufacturer for service not the dealer. I even called Futaba who verified that yes they need to go back to them. Basically sir you purchased the wrong receiver for what ever reason I don't know and if you would have realized that mistake and they were unopened even 30 days after we would have been more than happy to exchanged them. However, again its been 105 days and you have opened electronics we just cant do.

https://futabausa.com/repairs

How many other brands have had issues and have had to go back to the manufacturers not the dealers.

Always happy to help but there is a reason why companies have to have policies.
Old 07-30-2018, 01:44 PM
geneh-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Are there any other Futaba receivers that have a problem with high torque servo's? Just wondering because I just started flying Futaba again and don't want problems in my Jets or large 3d planes.
Old 07-30-2018, 02:12 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by geneh-RCU
Are there any other Futaba receivers that have a problem with high torque servo's? Just wondering because I just started flying Futaba again and don't want problems in my Jets or large 3d planes.
The only one I have heard of was the powersafe receiver they had, people would run high number of digital high torques through it and you could get a possible voltage drop. I would run a power system with receivers for anything with more that 6 servos, that being said it all depends on the load.
Old 07-30-2018, 02:55 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by FenderBean
The only one I have heard of was the powersafe receiver they had, people would run high number of digital high torques through it and you could get a possible voltage drop. I would run a power system with receivers for anything with more that 6 servos, that being said it all depends on the load.
Yes, the R7018SB receiver, the one Michael is talking about, is the one that had the problem. Its ironic it was touted as a "power safe" type receiver. Its the worst lemon that Futaba has produced, that I am aware of.

I am not aware of any other Futaba receivers that had that problem, although as Keith suggests, I run a power system in my jets with Futaba receivers - I wouldn't run a bunch of digital servos on a jet or large 3D plane directly into ANY receiver. I use the Smartfly Powerexpanders...

Bob
Old 07-31-2018, 01:54 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

There is a post in the CARF Joker thread where a 7014 had a compatability issue with the servos. He switched to a 6014 and all was good. He posted a video.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:52 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Don't most of you folks use some sort of a power box anyway?
Old 07-31-2018, 04:03 AM
modtron

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

The 7018 is ok with low current drain systems, but has big problems with high current drain servo;s.
Futaba withdrew this receiver from the market earlier this year and it is now undergoing a complete re-design to make it usable with today high current systems.

modtron
Oxford UK
Old 07-31-2018, 06:44 AM
proline8000

My reply to Jose The receivers were not opened or used and he knows that. He also admitted that there was a problem with them and still offered them for sale on the web sight. Futaba won't do anything because they were sold to DreamWorks by Great Planes. Everyone (Dream works and Futaba state they work as designed)
Old 07-31-2018, 06:48 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Those receivers are total junk. They crashed a bunch of planes. They tried to copy Spektrums power safe and failed. If you fly Futaba you need an expander or PB. I love Dreamworks but no one should sell those.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:36 AM
why_fly_high
My Feedback: (19)

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I can only imagine that Dreamworks did a little dance when an uninformed shopper bought those POS and they finally got rid of them. They knew they were junk when they sold them. The word has been out on those for probably 2 years.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:06 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by rcflyguy_26
So, why did you order receivers that don't work for your application?
This.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:55 AM
Reever45
My Feedback: (16)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by why_fly_high
I can only imagine that Dreamworks did a little dance when an uninformed shopper bought those POS and they finally got rid of them. They knew they were junk when they sold them. The word has been out on those for probably 2 years.
That RX cost me a Jet, I did get my money refunded for the rx from tower after the repair center ok'ed it. That was quite awhile ago long before the time they sold him those, the problem was know and Dreamworks (SHOULD NOT) have even been selling them at that point. Just my .02
Old 07-31-2018, 09:05 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

That's how I feel about it.. Its a defective product and should not be sold to anyone. Its not that's its not for his application its not safe for any application. Might be able to use it in a foam plane with 4 servos. But then why have redundant batts. ..…… Not everyone goes onto forums and reads everything. This product was marketed as the equivalent of spektrums power safe. Everyone on spektrum has the power safes in jets and can avoid the PB installs and spending extra money. Flat out this is a defective product and they should all be recalled and shiz canned.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:41 AM
proline8000

RCFLYGUY_26 I am new to Futaba and saw on DreamWorks web a 18 channel dual battery HV receiver, What was not to like about it. I was looking for receivers when Tower didn't have any and I came across these at DreamWorks.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:30 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Tower took mine back after Futaba put out the SB which was more than 30 days, but the rx's had to be in the original packaging and unused. I saw a number of folks over on FG that got their money back from Tower as well.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:36 AM
why_fly_high
My Feedback: (19)

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

This receiver was discontinued over a year ago and I find people talking about the issues with the Rx over 2 years ago. Anyone that has these in stock knows they were junk.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:55 AM
rcflyguy_26

Originally Posted by proline8000
RCFLYGUY_26 I am new to Futaba and saw on DreamWorks web a 18 channel dual battery HV receiver, What was not to like about it. I was looking for receivers when Tower didn't have any and I came across these at DreamWorks.
So you did no research on a receiver your putting in a jet?

If they are still NIP, how did you find out they won't work?

Also, I do agree they should have been pulled from being sold.

Some may not agree with me, but researching products before purchase is 100% neccessary now days.

I have a pile of stuff in my shop that actually proves my point.

This receiver issue is actually the reason have moved on from Futaba.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:50 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by rcflyguy_26
So you did no research on a receiver your putting in a jet?

If they are still NIP, how did you find out they won't work?

Also, I do agree they should have been pulled from being sold.

Some may not agree with me, but researching products before purchase is 100% neccessary now days.

I have a pile of stuff in my shop that actually proves my point.

This receiver issue is actually the reason have moved on from Futaba.

when you use a brand or know people that use a brand for a long time you tend to put some faith in that brand. I have flown JR for decades and used spektrum receivers for about 10 years without any issue. Recently I bought a spektrum ar9100 (I think) receiver that was unopened in the box. He told me there is a switch mod you need to do. I've been using the same receiver in my bobcat for years without any mod and had zero knowledge of the mod. I read up on it after he told me and sure enough I've been lucky. However, when buying the receivers or almost any component, unless I have seen a warning thread IN A FORUM I REGULARLY FOLLOW I would never know. I don't read any radio forums, I don't read in the 3d or heli or otherwise. I would hope that if a product was discontinued due to failures no retailer would continue to sell it, especially a trusted one.
while I do agree that it is buyer beware, I don't agree with a retail business selling items that are known to have problems
Old 08-01-2018, 12:11 AM
jescardin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The problems with R7018SB are not due to using several high power servos..... but just a "non filtered" park flyer one!. No problem when using only original Futaba servos with R7018SB receiver but unsafe to fly when using just one servo from other -mainly chinese- brand.

Solution? I asked directly to Futaba in Japan and they sugested connecting one Futaba EBR0002 1800UF Rx capacitor to filter the noise from non filtered servos and that has worked fine for me since then.

I know Ripmax (UK) through Futaba Germany offers an expensive upgrade service to R7018SB receivers adding more funtionalities and safeguards, but using just the above mentioned capacitor has cured the problems for me.

Just a cent that may help to other R7018SB users!.

Best Regards.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.