Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Who is still happy with older equipment?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Who is still happy with older equipment?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 06:32 AM
rcmigpilot
My Feedback: (26)

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

This thread is making me feel like the old man down the street yelling a the kids to "get off my lawn", but let's be real, do we really need a built in MP3 player? Do we really need to be able to load a picture of the actual model to the screen instead of a name and an airplane symbol? I flew my converted 10X till JR decided to stop making DSM receivers so I switched to a DS 18 and I can't see me ever needing anything more. Things I used to do with extra boxes and gadgets - like sequencing doors - I can now do in the radio and the 18 channels do make set up a lot easier. On the plane side no power boxes, gyros or complicated power systems, about my only real high tech improvements are LiFe batteries and telemetry. On the telemetry I only use it for a flame out alarm, I lost a 4 flight old Viperjet last year in Mississippi after a flame out right after take off. There were 5 other jets in the air so I couldn't hear it and it was too far away to notice any white smoke. I'm not sure if knowing the engine died any earlier would have saved the plane, but it couldn't have hurt. As far as gyros I think we're breeding a generation of lazy, unskilled pilots. It's one thing to put a gyro on rudder or steering to tame bad habits inherent to the model, but guys are letting the gyro fly the plane for them. Earlier this year I was on the flight line at an event and a guy was doing these great slow rolls with a havoc. I looked over and his left hand wasn't even touching the stick and he wasn't inputting any elevator, just aileron. The gyro was doing the slow rolls, not the pilot. I have thought for a while that while technology is great, it can make us lazy. Don't get me wrong, I don't miss the days of spending time pulling clevises off and turning them to mechanically center surfaces, sub trim and travel adjustments are great, but I think we're getting to the point where features are being added for the sake of having more features.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:53 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

I love my 12X! Just like my 10X before it, I trusted the darn thing like no other. Never, and I mean, NEVER, issues.

I would never have thought that JR would go the way of the dodo bird, but alas.....

I still have 2 propane start JetCats, I love them!

As I continue to buy new toys, I have to buy new stuff to "stuff" in them. When I consider all the things that the new stuff can do though, wow!

And I'm of the opinion that if my old stuff still brings me pleasure, then why stop?
Old 08-15-2018, 08:47 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I do think it's amazing the amount of stuff that can be stuffed into such a small package today, whether it's a turbine with everything under the front cover or a radio that could control the space shuttle the technology is astounding. As mentioned in my original post, it scares the crap out of me. My 2015 Dodge Ram and 2016 Dodge Journey scare me too. I can't believe all the features they have, and I am terrified of the vehicles being off warranty..... If any one of those modules fails I'm screwed. A big part of that is lack of understanding/knowledge on the components. As I said before, I am not a techy guy, I use a computer for very little to be honest. I just finally upgraded my work computer last year as it finally died, it was still using Windows XP LOL. Worst part about the upgrade was none of the programs I had would work on the new system, so I had to replace everything.......

I am certainly in the if it's not broke, don't fix it camp, but I definitely appreciate the new stuff out there, It's not for me, but it's pretty cool. It's mostly not for me because even with the instructions right in front of me I have a near impossible time trying to figure out how to actually use it. I have never used a Gyro, mostly because again, I don't understand them and the one time I bought a jet with one in it I ended up removing it because I couldn't figure it out. Yup, tech stupid right here and I admit it fully. I also have no idea how to use our DVD player at home!
Old 08-15-2018, 10:18 AM
smiller

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I miss the propane start engines. Can change the glow plug yourself, I had an on board tank so just a quick fill with the can and you have 3-4 starts, less battery drain on startup. I do have a DX18 radio which I am very happy with.

Scott
Old 08-15-2018, 01:24 PM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

There’s certainly nothing wrong with using “old” equipment. It’s funny though, the older we get the more we tend to “freeze” our preferences in things like clothes, music and certain technology. We rationalize that what we have is just fine and we don’t need the new stuff. Somehow that rationale didn’t apply back when we went from the 10S to the 12X.

I finally bit the bullet and went with Jeti. I do have to say I appreciate the 24 channels and all the programming and telemetry options. Biggest problem is after learning how to program a jet I can’t remember how to do it again 6 or 12 months later. Anyhow, since there’s not much to build anymore, I see technology as a new frontier in jet r/c. Lots of cool stuff to explore and take advantage of. Might as well get on board IMO.

Craig
Old 08-15-2018, 01:55 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

I have always liked new tech but somethings I prefer over other new items because it doesnt make sense or isnt cost smart. The power setup I use in jets is older but is a very good reliable setup for the radio system I use. I went through the whole electronic vs servo actuated two-ways already and I have found I like the electronic because of the pulse feature but if the project warrants it I have no problem going old school.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:44 PM
rcmigpilot
My Feedback: (26)

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I still think one of the coolest sounds is an air start engine spooling. I remember being at Superman in the late '90s, when somebody would spool a turbine everybody would stop what they were doing and watch. What's funny is that someone brought an old Byron glow DF to Mississippi this year, and when they started it up everybody stopped what they were doing and watched. I'd forgotten how much of a hassle it was getting those things to run properly and stay running.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:33 PM
CR Tech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I absolutely agree that keeping things simple is the way to go.

Until only about 8 weeks ago I was still flying all my aircraft with my old V1 Spektrum DX7 DSM2. I had a brand new DSMX in the box but no trust in it yet, I have now changed and started using the DSMX. I only make use of Gas start turbines, as someone mentioned above you are guaranteed of a good clean start every time. I also do not believe in using switches at all ( gas plane lessons ) so instead I use Rcproplus plugs only. Also as mentioned before no powerboxes or expanders instead I will use two receivers on a model where one receiver cannot handle the current draw.

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid
Old 08-16-2018, 01:09 AM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Still super happy with my old Jeti DS-16 from 2013!! Never had a radio for more then a couple of months before thinking I wanted more, but this old gem is surprising every day :-)
Old 08-16-2018, 02:15 AM
Craig B.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I still have plenty of gas start engines in my jets....very easy to start, minimal issues, no on board gas tank, dead easy and fast to start. My JR 12X still operates many of my jets but I do love the new gyro, battery backer/ powerbox options and my futaba 18MZ too. Servo technology has really left ahead IMHO. Look at the torques we are getting these days, not to mention the centering precision. I remember when the most powerful servo you could buy was a 10kg JR8411.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:46 AM
JackD
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

To me, playing with new technology is half the fun.... And it is funny when I read Old School = KISS: try to get a model like an F100 with Slats, parachute,etc into a 12 channel radio. My F100 was initially on 9 Channels with all the bells and whisltes. 4 matchboxes, couple power expanders, not sure how many mixes and tricks... Now is just so simple.

And as many have mentioned, go play with a Jeti and you will become addicted to the thinking process and imagining what else you can do

Now, there are things I definitely think didn't improve our lives: Internal thermocouples is probably the worst. It used to be a 5 minute job to replace a thermocouple, and the internal one does not make installation any easier, it is just an aesthetic factor. Also, I do love kero start, but I miss the external burner. I DO NOT miss having to install solenoids and pumps and everything outside. The Jetcentral powerpack is brilliant

So... it just depends. New tech is cool as long as it either solves a problem or opens newer possibilities.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:07 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by JackD
And it is funny when I read Old School = KISS: try to get a model like an F100 with Slats, parachute,etc
That in itself would be a violation of the KISS principle.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:01 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm happy using my older gear.

It's familiar, proven & well maintained so I'm less likely to make any 'new stuff' mistakes.
The radios get used more regularly in models other than jets so there's a chance if something
is getting a bit 'iffy' I'll pick the fault up in a model less expensive or potentially dangerous.

My engines are all gas start, I'm familiar with operating & (more importantly) fault finding at
the field with those, not saying later kero start engines are bad, just less user fixable when
things go wrong.