Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Who is still happy with older equipment?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Who is still happy with older equipment?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 07:55 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Who is still happy with older equipment?

I was reading the thread this morning about the Powerbox radio and I've read the Jeti threads, read about the new P130 with every feature under the sun etc etc. I'll be honest, I am not a techy guy and frankly reading some of these posts scares me more than anything. Reading about all the supposed problems and how the new equipment is supposed to solve them and why it's better and why telemetry is needed etc.

I am in no way knocking any of the new stuff, if it's what you're into then it's awesome. To be honest, I still fly a JR12X and I don't even understand half the features of that radio, it's far more capable than anything I'll ever do with it.
I am very happy with my old school (if you will) equipment. I turn it on and it works.

I have been flying for 35 + years and I did have a few airplane losses with equipment back in the beginning, particularly when flying without narrow band radios, but I like the simplicity.

I suppose some would argue that today's turbines are much simpler than my old AMT's and in terms of operation that is very true, but I like that all the components are separate on my AMT's, my old P70 and my old PST600R. I like that I can change a glow plug, or solenoid instead of having to send the engine in. My radio's don't have telemetry and I'm ok with that, they don't have all the extra features that the new radio's do and that's ok.

Hell, even my jets are all old school really. The newest jet I have is probably 9 years old at least.

I still have a scuba tank haha, I finally had to swap a servo out of a 15 year old Kingcat as it decided it wanted to do the funky chicken but after 15 years and many hundreds of flights I guess that's ok, especially since it did it on the ground (Servo was the original 2721 on the rudders, I did replace both).

For a while there I did jump onto the buying the latest and greatest things, but as I became cheaper, and more and more confused by the new items, I went back to simpler ways. I use dual 6V NiMh batteries on my receivers through 2 switches.

This is not a thread meant to create a rift of people telling me why I should change to newer stuff or why Jeti or anyone else is better, simply wondering who else still subscribes to the KISS method and is happy with the old school equipment? I currently have 10 jets, using old school equipment it makes the hobby affordable and they all work. If I wanted all new stuff I'd probably only have 2 or 3 which is ok as well, but I sure feel when I can fly a jet I only have $1500 put into over one with $15000!

My list of old school jets with engines are:

CAI Raptor - AMT Pegasus
JMP Firebird - AMT NL Olympus HP
Bobcat XL - Jetcat P70
Bobcat XL - Kingtech K80
Skymaster F5 - AMT NL Pegasus
Aviation Design F16 - AMT Pegasus
Reaction 54 - PST 600R
Jet Legend F15 - AMT Pegasus
BVM Kingcat - AMT NL Olympus
BVM Viper - KBV 77 and Viojet

Coming soon

GJC F18 to be powered with Jetcat P160
Old 08-14-2018, 08:50 AM
SECRET AGENT
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm the same way, no power expander, telemetry etc. Just an old Aitronics radio and 10ch receiver, two LiFe batteries and two switches. Works just fine.

I also run old propane start motors that always work (and start way faster than kero start).

Keepin it simple.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:10 AM
kj990

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure if you've got old stuff that you know well why not keep it? But some of the new stuff is pretty clever and impressive.
I certainly won't be going out to accumulate old stuff because it'll be junk that someone will be desperate to get rid of!
My old gear I'm actually quite attached to but I know it's in like new condition and has been well looked after, worthless second hand though.
The new kids with money who fly like a pro will be perplexed why anyone would use museum items!
Old 08-14-2018, 09:36 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

I believe in the KISS principal, but I do not think that has anything to do with using newer equipment. While I currently fly Jeti, a DS14, and use telemetry to monitor my flight pack like a fuel gauge. I keep it pretty simple with Gear, Brake, flap, and rate switches.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:31 AM
ledd4u
My Feedback: (23)

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

JR 12X from a JR 9303. P-120 circa 2005. No voltage regulation anywhere just simple. Could care less about all the fancy stuff.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:34 AM
erh7771
My Feedback: (30)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For electrics telemetry no doubt changes flying, knowing pack voltage = more flight time with quality chemistry
Old 08-14-2018, 11:01 AM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Three of my engines are still gas start, simple and quick. I wish this was an option for every new engine. I can also change plugs, valves and thermocouples instead of sending the engines in.
As far as radios go... I really like my Jeti but probably would still be flying my thirteen year old Multiplex Royal Evo if there was U.S. support.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:36 AM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

Same here, I like my old stuff, my TJT300 is probably 15-18 years old, I got it when it was around 8 years old but only had like 2 hours of run time, so far it has under 11 hrs, propane start, much easier and faster then kero start.

My Boomer is around 14-15 years old and it still flys as good as when it was new, I just love it, smoke and all.

My radio, a 10 chl Futaba, all I need.

KISS it all the way, I want to fly the airplane myself, I don't want the computer to do it for me, brakes are activated via a mini push bottom air valve activated by a servo arm, simple and it works all the time, still using air, don't want electric retracts or brakes, no thank you.

My two wood/ply jets that I have been working on will have the simplest install possible and I will be looking for a propane start with low time turbine for them.

Last edited by CARS II; 08-14-2018 at 12:13 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:52 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I still fly my "converted" XP-9303 I purchased with my original BVM BARF in 2006. Never a single glitch!! Best radio I've had after my venerable Futaba 7FG. My most complex airframe is an F-35....and I still haven't had a need for any additional channels (but do use a sequencer for the gear).
No expanders, no power boxes.

Was looking at the BVM F-1 and it states 15 channels minimum, which I find laughable. I do fly a DS-24 for hire....and it's a thing of beauty, but I find it hard to believe that a model rc pilot would need even 1/2 of the capacity.

But it's cool that there's accessories for most modelers needs.

On a side note.....as the "cool models" tend to grow to trailer size, my interest in jets is quickly diminishing. Seems like small jets will be vintage soon.
David

Last edited by FalconWings; 08-14-2018 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:49 PM
Eaglepilot2

On a side note.....as the "cool models" tend to grow to trailer size, my interest in jets is quickly diminishing. Seems like small jets will be vintage soon.

^^^^ Agree whole heartedly. It seems the manufacturers are caught up in who can build the biggest jet possible. The smaller jets are becoming a thing of the past.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:58 PM
Kelly Rohrbach
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went to Mississippi this year with my old trusty 12x flying my new PNP F16 with my trusty Pegasus HP, kinda got some funny looks from the newer jet guys. One guy when he saw the engine asked what the &^$%$^%#%@#^% kinda engine is that??
I still think the 12x is one of the best radio's ever sold, may not have all the wiz bang stuff on it but it brings the bird home every flight!!!

Last edited by Kelly Rohrbach; 08-14-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:02 PM
flyinfool1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Ahh the good old days............OH wait that is still today.
Still flying my old R54 with a P70. I broke down and while the turbine was in for service I got the upgrade to kero start. I bought this one used, RTF back in 2007, that makes it around 11 years old for me, and it was already 3 or 4 years old when I got it. I only recently "upgraded" from NiCd to NiMh batteries. My "new" radio is a 14MZ that one one of the first five to enter the USA back when it first came out. I did upgrade it to FAST 2.4 with the module and also got a DSMX module for it so that I can play with all the cheap BNF toys.

It is not just jets, You should hear the comments when I show up with these old helis that still have fly bars, make noise and belch wonderful smelling smoke. from back in the last century.

Ahh the memories

I have no plans to upgrade much of anything until I am forced to. When I am forced to upgrade I usually then get the best available so as to have it last as long as possible before it becomes to outdated to be useful.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:07 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Interesting discussion; old school, KISS, Nimh; 10X, 12X, MPX Evo, gas start, glow plugs, scuba bottles v telemetry, Jeti, PB Core ....

I guess I must be one of the cross-over guys. I started flying in 1979, my oldest model (still flying with the original equipment goes back to 1985). My oldest jet (F-104 Philip Avonds with AMT Mercury USA) is still flying as built back in 1996.

However, as I have been building and flying over the years I have continued to use my good and trusted equipment - like my AMT's (of which I have 7), but I have also updated and in some cases reverse engineered. I moved from my original Futaba 4 channel to Futaba 6 channel, then MPX Profi, MPX Royal, MPX 3000, MPX 4000, Futaba 14MZ and Futaba 18MZ.

My experience has been that new and latest is not always better, but in some cases it is easier and more precise. Installing one of the latest turbines is very easy (and I cannot recall ever having to change a solenoid on my AMT's anyway - maybe a glow plug once in 5 years). But having just completed a F-16 and F-104 with AMT's, the number of cables and components having to accommodate, was definitely a pain. (Some will say: 'no pain, no gain' and that is very true when it comes to using an engine like an AMT Netherlands turbine). More importantly though, using a new generation transmitter and servos has every time surprised me with the improved feel on the sticks and the improved resolution and precision of the servos. New batteries, like Li-Ion and Life is a god-sent and I just love the way they perform and hold their charge (without causing 'black lead' - a condition we use to get when a fully charged Nicad pack was left connected for a long time). I still remember relocating from South Africa to Australia and when I eventually unpacked some of my models I found corrosion of the negative leads all the way into my receivers and ECU's ('black lead').

So my next upgrade will be the PowerBox Core, or if Futaba miraculously replaces the 18MZ and give us more channels with user friendly telemetry. When that happens, my next project will utilize what I have and love, but also incorporate what the 'new' brings with it.

Enjoy and use what you trust.

JanR
Old 08-14-2018, 02:21 PM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I think I am considered older equipment
Old 08-14-2018, 03:11 PM
TimD.
My Feedback: (207)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Still have never used a Gyro. Afraid to screw with one. My skills are just fine without one. Still run a Ram500 ,1000 on occasion I do like the simplicity of the Kingtechs have 6-7 of them
Old 08-14-2018, 04:17 PM
patrnflyr
My Feedback: (7)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The one big thing that I see in the new jets is the weight. I really get tired of flying lead sleds and planes like the Havoc have incredibly light wingloading which make it a great flier. New techniques, materials and designs will hopefully spill across all of the manufacturers and make all of our planes lighter and better flying.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:37 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Its easy to know if your equipment is cool or not, regardless of its age.

Take notice of the visitors and/or small kids reaction while flying your stuff.
If they smile, or better yet ask you when you are going to fly again, then you are doing things right.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:07 PM
Len
My Feedback: (3)

Oh Jeremy you can really get us all going!!! If you like your stuff...Superb! If you want to be an early adopter ...Fine! Its all good man...just fly your jets and have fun... Me, I like the newest and coolest, but its not always the best working as the bugs have rarely been eradicated...too much public beta testing these days by the Asian jet ‘manufacturers’ , at least in my opinion.
Len
Old 08-14-2018, 07:55 PM
luge_racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I never understand people who complain about new technology and advancements in materials.

"In my day we didn't need these new fangled cellular phones, we enjoyed trudging through the pouring rain to find a telephone booth after our car broke down."

"Kids these days and their internet, back in my day we avoided talking to people by reading newspapers."

"ugg ugg, what with these sharpened sticks called spears? In my day we killed mammoth with rock"

Technology, materials and science advances. If you like where you are, keep on keeping on and enjoy; but don't try to shame others because they want to find new & better ways to do things.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:07 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by luge_racer
I never understand people who complain about new technology and advancements in materials.

"In my day we didn't need these new fangled cellular phones, we enjoyed trudging through the pouring rain to find a telephone booth after our car broke down."

"Kids these days and their internet, back in my day we avoided talking to people by reading newspapers."

"ugg ugg, what with these sharpened sticks called spears? In my day we killed mammoth with rock"

Technology, materials and science advances. If you like where you are, keep on keeping on and enjoy; but don't try to shame others because they want to find new & better ways to do things.

who is complaining about new technology or trying to shame anyone? I was simply asking who else is still happy with the old school stuff!
somebody needs to chill out.....
Old 08-14-2018, 08:09 PM
kevinthoele

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Well I've been flying for 48 years. Turbines since 90's when they came out. Even had serial 1 AMT in a yellow F4. But I am switching and really liking the new stuff. Flew 10X and Still have 12X. But all new stuff on 18MZ and really really love it. I now fly on 2 three channel receivers in a power box royal or mercury. Spotter can see Batt voltage on both Rec Batts and Voltage on Turbine. RPM of engine air speed angle of attack fuel consumption.

Flew with the three axis gyro in a big cross wind and landing like it was into the wind and looked at video and my rudder and ailerons were going nuts to hold straight and I did not even know it.

I'm loving the new stuff. Better fuel mileage lighter engines. I will still fly current inventory on 12X but changing a few at a time and all new on 18MZ

I thought I would never change!!!! Never say never.

Just enjoy what you have!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-14-2018, 10:47 PM
kj990

Good to see some are still DSM 2, I was too until very recently! Those who gasped in horror couldn't actually explain what the problem was/might be.
Similarly everyone who scoffs at me having a gyro either go home or don't fly at all with the near normal very blustery 90° cross wind at our field. I happily fly and then turn on the gizmo on finals with full flap, model stays in one piece thanks to technology!
Old 08-15-2018, 03:13 AM
IFLYBVM2
My Feedback: (360)

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

JR 12X for me, has always been good to me, and I still own (3) of them. Change for the sake of change has never made sense to me. I have never owned a powerbox of any sort, and the most up to date turbine I own is a P160SX Jetcat. (One of the most reliable turbines ever built, in my opinion)
Slow adopter ? Yes, I am.
I did start using A123's in the last couple of years, and have been quite pleased with their ability to hold charge for long periods of time.
All the new technology is cool, just have not found it necessary for me personally yet.
-Mike O
Old 08-15-2018, 03:49 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LGM Graphix
who is complaining about new technology or trying to shame anyone? I was simply asking who else is still happy with the old school stuff!
somebody needs to chill out.....
+1
Old 08-15-2018, 05:18 AM
E.N.T.

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

KISS all the way.

hmarmaizmd717

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.