RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Turbine Oil Expiration???

Old 09-01-2018, 02:00 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Turbine Oil Expiration???

As many of you here know, I pretty much stopped flying turbines actively back in the Spring of 2003 due to the Columbia accident and its recovery and then Katrina. I flew once in a while, but never returned to my former level of activity. Well, as soon as I sell this other house, I intend to start flying more, hopefully next year.

As we were clearing out the garage, I found 19 quarts of turbine oil that I bought, by the case, back in the 2001 to 2003 era. Most is BP and a few Exxon, all with the green label.

Does this stuff expire, go bad? Each can looks in great shape and is sealed. I can find no explicit expiration date printed on the cans. There are some code numbers embossed on the top/bottom. Are these codes that represent expiration? Is there some other way to tell? or is this stuff good until our sun goes red-giant in 4.5 billion years? Thanks.
Old 09-01-2018, 03:33 PM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's good as long as it has not been opened.
If you have any doubts, send it to me for disposal.
Old 09-01-2018, 04:08 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Harley Condra View Post
It's good as long as it has not been opened.
If you have any doubts, send it to me for disposal.
LOL.....
Sounds like it's Exxon/BP 2380 and it's fine as long as it's not been opened as Harley noted.
Old 09-01-2018, 04:42 PM
aehaas

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

'Do not know about jet oil specifically but IC motor oil for your car is different. Additives may precipitate out over time. Oil bottles of older automotive motor oil often have dark stuff lining the bottom of the container. I see that you live in LA. 'Not usually a problem but oil tends to thicken and form waxes and sludge especially when experiencing cold temperatures over a northern winter in a garage. I would not use it. And mixing oils of different brands, even in the same brand that has a formulation change over the years is a no-no.

AEHaas
Old 09-01-2018, 04:49 PM
Woketman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

As pointed out, I live down here where it is nasty hot most of the time. So it never really got cold. Sounds like shaking the can up well prior to mixing with kero would take care of any separation of components. Sounds like it should be good!!!
Old 09-02-2018, 04:34 AM
sc0tt
My Feedback: (61)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If your cans are still unopened I think you should be ok considering our dilution and total loss application. The oil went from Exxon to BP then Eastman. Exxon/BP cans had the manufacture date stamped on the end cap. Eastman now stamps both the manufacture and use by dates. 2380 recommendation is 4 years, but I'm pretty sure it used to be 10 like 2197 is. I found an old BP data sheet that states "The shelf life of BP Turbo Oil 2380 can extend beyond four years when stored in original, unopened quart cans under recommended storage conditions, i.e. in a well ventilated and covered area away from extreme heat and moisture etc." Here is the current Eastman shelf life info...
https://www.eastman.com/Brands/EAS/R...helf-Life.aspx
Old 09-02-2018, 05:25 AM
Woketman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Scott.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:53 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by aehaas View Post
'Do not know about jet oil specifically but IC motor oil for your car is different. Additives may precipitate out over time. Oil bottles of older automotive motor oil often have dark stuff lining the bottom of the container. I see that you live in LA. 'Not usually a problem but oil tends to thicken and form waxes and sludge especially when experiencing cold temperatures over a northern winter in a garage. I would not use it. And mixing oils of different brands, even in the same brand that has a formulation change over the years is a no-no.

AEHaas
Turbine oil is nothing like automotive engine oil unless you opt for the 100% synthetic stuff, and they both lubricate. Turbine engines in full scale aircraft have some pretty demanding oil requirements including the fact that you do not mix brands once the engine is in service e;g; the 2380 (which I will probably refer to as "Exxon" for the rest of my life because that's who made it when I was using Turbine oil all the time) if it needs oil, you do not put in something like Mobile Jet II. The brand can only be changed at engine overhaul to make sure the engine is totally clean of the previous oil.

The only one I'd stay away from for our model Turbine engines, and guys I know who've used it for years still swear by it, is AeroShell 500. Some companies like KingTech will void your engine warranty for using that stuff.