Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Older Skymaster F-18c

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Older Skymaster F-18c

Old 09-13-2018, 07:17 PM
Sterling McC.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Older Skymaster F-18c

Good day good people,

I have an older f-18 from Skymaster, it's unpainted and unhinged. I'm having an issue with the flaps...the right side went perfect when I installed the hinges but the left is being a real pain. The left flap is 2 millimeters thicker at the leading edge full length, so when you set it in it's pocket on the wing it sticks above and a little below the hinge cover compared to the other side. Have any of you fellows run into this and how would I correct it? I thought about cutting the flap along the sides and the leading edge and adjusting the thickness carefully then gluing it back together. Can anyone offer advice on this or should I just build it as is and live with the fact the trim will be a little off? I know there are a lot more talented guys out there than I so I'm looking forward to hearing from you!
Old 09-13-2018, 07:52 PM
dbsonic
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a "newer" SM F18C and did not see that issue. I did find the flaps are essentially too long and need to be cut down so you can get decent flap travel without hitting sides of the fuselage at the root.. you could do something similar take advantage of the taper and have it work in your favor by shifting towards the root a bit. But need to make sure it is not so much you get a gap between it and the aileron. (That would be pretty easy to fix though to shim the end to fill in the gap.)
Old 09-14-2018, 06:48 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Sterling McC.
Good day good people,

I have an older f-18 from Skymaster, it's unpainted and unhinged. I'm having an issue with the flaps...the right side went perfect when I installed the hinges but the left is being a real pain. The left flap is 2 millimeters thicker at the leading edge full length, so when you set it in it's pocket on the wing it sticks above and a little below the hinge cover compared to the other side. Have any of you fellows run into this and how would I correct it? I thought about cutting the flap along the sides and the leading edge and adjusting the thickness carefully then gluing it back together. Can anyone offer advice on this or should I just build it as is and live with the fact the trim will be a little off? I know there are a lot more talented guys out there than I so I'm looking forward to hearing from you!
That was my first though about how to fix it, and how I would do it. While you are in there, you could adjust the blocks for the hinges and control horn - if it has them. If you make the slice with a Dremel cut-off wheel, that would give you just about the amount you need to move it together.

If it turns out that you need to cut the trailing edge in order to squeeze it together, you could do that with a hot knife so as to not remove material from that edge.

Bob
Old 09-14-2018, 07:44 AM
Sterling McC.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies gentlemen, I think I will cut it open and repair it that way. Never thought about the hot knife idea that's a good one! I was hoping to leave the trailing edge attached but if I have to open it melting the glue out will make reassembly a lot easier.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:56 AM
dbsonic
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, the flaps have balsa triangle material inside. Not hard to cut through. I'd go just to TE with a cut but not all the way through.. if the TE is same thickness left and right side